The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #1
FlameOut

Adhesive molding clips nightmare

I'm sure I can't be the only one having this problem, but today I was hoping to finally install the molding on my truck (Upper and lower, from LMC) Well, first of the molding is garbage (should have gone with Mar-K) but the worst part is those stupid adhesive molding clips they supply. It is damn near impossible to remove that protective film they apply. No matter what I try, it is also removing the adhesive along with that film, making the clip useless. I've tried a razor blade, a pin, even a heat gun.

I sent LMC a nice email, but I really don't expect them do do anything. I sometimes wonder if the Chinese do these things intentionally, and sit over there just laughing at us

Here is what I'm dealing with
Name:  20160407_121746.jpg
Views: 3545
Size:  31.5 KB

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71 Ext Cab 1500
1972 Chevy K-10 SOLD
1967 Chevelle SS
FlameOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:00 PM   #2
toolboxchev

Re: Adhesive molding clips nightmare

When I bought my truck 10 years ago on side on the bed had been redone with that same stuff.

It fell off within 6 months of me owning it. It is still sitting in the garage.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:02 PM   #3
jocko

Ledzepp recommended to me awhile ago - toss the provided gooey ones and use 3M trim adhesive tape. Worked well. The provided clips, even if you do manage to get them installed ok, often fall off in short order as the adhesive sucks. Maddening!
It was a little painful - you need to decide (if you go the 3M route) if you want to just stick the double sided tape onto the existing sticky side of the clip - or scrape it and apply to the plastic back of the clip alone. I did the latter, provided a tighter fit to the body that way. Trim sure looks good, but is a pain to get right. I feel your pain... Went thru the exact same mess with my 71.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:17 PM   #4
FlameOut

Thanks, I was wondering about using my own double face tape. I'll pick up so e of the 3m stuff and give it a shot. I wonder if my problem is because I bought this molding kit about a year ago. I know how some masking tapes become kind of useless over time. Maybe it's the same for this tape

1972 Chevy K-10 SOLD
1967 Chevelle SS
Old 04-07-2016, 07:53 PM   #5
Security guy

The 3m stuff is the shiznit... I use it a lot in homes for my security systems.. it'll stick to just about anything
Security guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #6
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
I wonder if my problem is because I bought this molding kit about a year ago. I know how some masking tapes become kind of useless over time. Maybe it's the same for this tape
No, it sucks out of the box brand new. Mine sat for a few days before I used it and it was still useless. Make sure to get 3M, it is worth it.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:18 PM   #7
Thanos

I use Lexel however I got my zen master on using it, it took a while to get good at it.Stuff will even stick to wet surfaces it's some wild $tuff.
Thanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:26 PM   #8
FlameOut

I pucked up some of the 3M tape and it worked out great. I just had to make sure all of the old adhesive was removed from the clips, so after I scraped off what I could, I then sanded with some 80 grit to be 100% sure. All molding is now nstalled. I just wish I would have went with the molding tape for the tailgate trim too

1972 Chevy K-10 SOLD
1967 Chevelle SS
Old 04-08-2016, 08:33 PM   #9
jocko

Glad to hear it worked out. Yes, it seems we all do this once, but only once! Ha.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:48 PM   #10
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Did GM use adhesive when the trucks were built? Can't you just get new clips and forget the adhesive?

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:58 PM   #11
leddzepp

72 used adhesive style clips on the upper bed moulding. 71-under used metal clips that fastened via drilled holes. I believe the LMC catalog shows the layout. I used 3M adhesive tape as Jocko described above on my 72 and they are still holding strong.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:49 PM   #12
Gromit

Just want to add my opinion on this topic that I think the adhesive style molding was a major improvement over the through-hole type molding clips on the C- Series. Unless maybe you live in the high desert or Arizona or somewhere super dry.

In fact I don't see what was wrong with a plain steel pickup body with no molding at all in the first place.. "it is just a pickup" as Bruce has so fundamentally pointed out.

I'll admit those adhesive clips are also a pain but if you just use a heat gun and plastic spatula judiciously you can remove and replace them reasonably well. It is still a pain of course but not as much as having sixty holes through all of your body panels (as in pre 1972) each one of which (those holes) attracts dirt and road salt in all those places through the body panel where it is out of sight under the molding (until it is too late).

Since I just have a work truck at the moment I ended up removing all of my CST-10 molding (to storage) and putting stainless steel button head allen headed machine screws in each hole with nylon washers and nylon lock nuts on the back side to keep the dirt from getting in through those holes. It is not correct of course and not for everyone but okay with me for now. It is easily reversible and that is the main thing.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:46 PM   #13
toolboxchev

Love it again, Gromit! Fabrication the real way!
Old 09-21-2018, 01:40 PM   #14
harrij4

Resurrecting an ancient thread to avoid creating a new one:

I just received my Mar-K lower molding set for my '72 K5. I'd REALLY like to avoid drilling any holes (with the possible exception of the front and back screws).

Has anyone tried using ALL adhesive clips and no through-bolts?

Even better, has anyone tried just using the 3M adhesive directly between the trim and the body (no clips at all)?

Thanks!
harrij4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #15
ElKotze

The clips work really well IF you remove the adhesive and use 3M tape. On short pieces I just used the tape but there is not much meat to stick the tape to, I ended up cutting the tape in half lengthwise and attached it to the upper and lower edge. I didn't think it would look good on the long pieces since you can see the tape or the gaps between the tape, that's why I would recommend the clips. But whatever you decide to do, be assured the 3M tape really sticks very well, you will not be able to pull the molding back of once it is attached.
'72 C20 Cheyenne Super, 396, TH400
'66 C60, 292, 4speed
ElKotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:12 PM   #16
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Did GM use adhesive when the trucks were built? Can't you just get new clips and forget the adhesive?
Interesting question and I believe they did. At least the moldings that came post factory had them

I have NOS moldings, and I listed all the fasteners that came in the packages. In a nutshell, I don't have to drill a hole for the 3M clips, of which there's a bunch.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:32 AM   #17
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
I'm sure I can't be the only one having this problem, but today I was hoping to finally install the molding on my truck (Upper and lower, from LMC) Well, first of the molding is garbage (should have gone with Mar-K) but the worst part is those stupid adhesive molding clips they supply. It is damn near impossible to remove that protective film they apply. No matter what I try, it is also removing the adhesive along with that film, making the clip useless. I've tried a razor blade, a pin, even a heat gun.

I sent LMC a nice email, but I really don't expect them do do anything. I sometimes wonder if the Chinese do these things intentionally, and sit over there just laughing at us

Here is what I'm dealing with
Attachment 1519753
Yea they are sitting over there laughing. The stories I have heard from Union Guys when I was a kid in Detroit are no better.

Mar-K is good yet you have to be a craftsman to make it work also. I have seen some of their product installed from someone on the site and I see his frustration also.

Get the metal clips, you will be happyier in the long run.