The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #26
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Value with / without SPID on glovebox door

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Why is a SPID a big value hit when you can get a new SPID printed up on the original chain printer on original forms saying anything you want?

I think about the rarest thing we can establish is a big block with AC, because we can do it through stamped numbers. If it's an option that can only be established by SPID, and if SPID is easily duplicated, how do you authenticate anything?

In my case I'm claiming it's a Sierra Grande, but it could be fake. But I have pictures of it being a Sierra Grande on the delivery day to the original owner in 1970. But I could have hired an old guy and used an old 110 camera.

Without things like stampings and crosshatches to verify the stampings, it's hard to verify anything.

I just went through documenting and confirming a car I bought is a one-of-one super rarity, but everything matched. Alternator, distributor, (water pump had been repalced), trans, axle, and so on. Since they all matched each other, it was either real or an amazing amount of work.
I got a new SPID to match the old one, simply because the old one was a bit worn. Some of the best advice I got was to tuck away the old glove box door and SPID, and slap the new SPID on a different door. It just adds to the authenticity. The SPID(s) won't match the truck, because I lost the camper mirrors and step bumper, and I'm adding all the moldings with a deluxe paint job. But at least it can be verified what it was and what was changed.

SPID is one thing, a build sheet even better because it shows everything. If you have both and year/truck correct this and that's, then there are no secrets.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 09-21-2018 at 05:30 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #27
CS1972

Based on the looks of your build sheet it appears as though it came from between the foam of the seat and the springs, were they usually put there or are there other hiding places that were specific to the building plant?

Also, was it possible to order a 307 or 350 with the heavier duty Turbo 400 automatic? Or is that exclusive to the 402 engine?

1972 Cheyenne Super 1/2 ton LWB 4x4 - Grapefruit Yellow / White
CS1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:15 PM   #28
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS1972 View Post
Based on the looks of your build sheet it appears as though it came from between the foam of the seat and the springs, were they usually put there or are there other hiding places that were specific to the building plant?

Also, was it possible to order a 307 or 350 with the heavier duty Turbo 400 automatic? Or is that exclusive to the 402 engine?
Yep, they stored the build sheet between the foam and springs on a bench seat. Can't speak for buckets and that, but seems they'd be tucked away in the seat as well. If you find one, be VERY careful when you remove the thing. I made some copies, put them in plastic sheet covers and filed the original away.

I believe a 350 can have a 400TH. Not sure about a 307. I'm no expert, seems the same would apply.

Edit: Don't know why I never checked before, but I don't see a build sheet for my C20 Super. Maybe it's behind the seat. Do I know it's a 72 Super? Yep. The SPID matches up, but sure, it could be a repop or the door came off another truck......................But all evidence is the truck has never been restored, and it's a rust bucket (ha!). Every part imaginable matches up to a Super, including the what you call it fiber insulators that fit between the doors and fenders. A build sheet would add assurances.

HA!, check that. The build sheet is on the back of the seat No way I'm pulling it out without removing the seat.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 09-21-2018 at 01:48 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:02 PM   #29
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
This all happened in the tri five market 35 years ago. I thought when the age group that bought them new moved on, that there might be a drop in the market value of them. That is not the case. They are more expensive now than ever.
I disagree. The tri-5 market has softened dramatically for nice restored or original cars in the past 2 years. I'm not talking about ruined cars that someone LS'ed or gasser, only nice factory look cars.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to spend that kind of money buying a C-10 Super if it didn't have SPID or build sheet proof.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:50 PM   #30
tutone

You very well may be right. The C10s are going the way of the tri fives. Not a large margin of people want a restored original pickup. The LS transplanted trucks are becoming plentiful. It was just last week that a thread about disc brakes being an upgrade. By an overwhelming margin, most folks on here contended that discs rule. That is the great thing about these trucks, there is something for all of us. I wonder what the percentage is, of restored trucks that follow the Spid down to the letter. I am already in violation on mine. I have added a v8 and PS. surely the heat and air will even make it worth less or will it? My question to the OP is this.. Can you put a truck together just like that for 25K? If it suits you, go for it. They just keep climbing.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote