The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2019, 06:50 PM   #1
Big Blue

exhaust system

Can this be done? I am going to install an exhaust system on my project truck. I have headman headers on it, it looks like 2 inch opening at the collectors. So I would get exhaust tubing 2 inch ??. Now the mufflers I got are Flow Masters 2 1/2 inch in and 2 1/2 out. CAN I expand the 2 inch tubing at the muffler 2 1/2 in and expand the tubing out to 2 1/2 inches??? So can I get an extra 1/2 inch to fit the mufflers? Then continue with the 2 inch tubing to the tail. Any other questions please ask me. John

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: exhaust system

If they cant stretch 2in to 2-1/2in...they do make adapters
Look up the headers you have...it should tell you the collector size..or just measure it

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:22 PM   #3
Grumpy old man

Are you doing it at home or taking it to a shop ? All shops are set up with hydraulic expanders , using a manual expander at home is more work but can be done .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s0n2ppM-mc

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:32 PM   #4
Big Blue

Thanks mongocanfly and Grumpy old man. That sound good. I'll most likely take the pipe to a shop. I'll be doing this at home. I did not know about the adapters. thanks again , joHN

PS::::Sitting at the computer typing this and a SKUNK GOES RIGHT OUTSIDE MY WINDOW. Man he stinks.

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:37 PM   #5
greasemonkey

I don't think I've ever seen a set of headers neck down to 2" at the collectors. Are you sure they're not 2.5"? If they really are 2" you can just get a set of 2" to 2.5" adapters like previously mentioned. I usually buy all my exhaust stuff from Summit.
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:12 PM   #6
Big Blue

Thanks greasemonkey, I measured the collector that goes on the tube pipe and I think it was 2 1/8. When I put the ring (can not think of what it is called)and the connector together they match up, even the bolt holes, so I believe they are a match.I guess I'll have to play as I go along.

Thanks Again John

Old 06-18-2019, 12:22 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

If you have headers, mostly likely the collectors are 3". It sounds like you need a 2 1/2 exhaust system.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote