The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #1
sixty4bigwindow

Gauge questions

Hey guys,

Thanks to you guys, I got the correct temp sending unit from lectriclimited, and that is one more functioning factory gauge! The last one to get functional is my oil pressure. Since the 64 one is the mechanical gauge (I think?) I can't wire it up to the electrical fitting on the back of my intake manifold. (Truck was stock 6 cyl, the motor is a 327.) Any ideas on getting the stock gauge to work with the newer motor? I'm kinda lost on how to convert anything over to that.

And as usual, the tight budget (free>real cheap>probably not going to happen,) is my process of elimination lol.

Thanks fellas!

My build thread for "Rocket" - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753023
sixty4bigwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Gauge questions

As I recall there is a plug on the back of your small block, behind the drivers side head for the oil pressure. You get a new oil gauge line kit and install it at gauge end and engine end. Maybe it was next to the oil filter boss?
Cutting oil pressure line - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=705484
Location of oil block connection - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...42&postcount=5
Is that what you were asking?
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #3
sixty4bigwindow

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
As I recall there is a plug on the back of your small block, behind the drivers side head for the oil pressure. You get a new oil gauge line kit and install it at gauge end and engine end. Maybe it was next to the oil filter boss?
Cutting oil pressure line - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=705484
Location of oil block connection - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...42&postcount=5
Is that what you were asking?
Rod, that does make more sense about the oil pressure being there... I am still learning about older engines and where everything hooks up and how. I thought that the unit on the back of my intake manifold, right behind and underneath the distributor was a connection for like an electronic style oil pressure sender, (noob move, I know lol.)

As for the links you provided, I haven't ever really looked at that part of my motor, so I will be doing that today to see if I can find it.

As far as my gauge, I would just use the stock gauge, and get an oil gauge line kit? Does it have to be copper line? I see a few online that are braided lines.

Sorry for so many questions. I just want to keep the gauges as stock as possible. Thanks for the reply and input Rod!

My build thread for "Rocket" - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753023
Old 07-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #4
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty4bigwindow View Post
Rod, that does make more sense about the oil pressure being there... I am still learning about older engines and where everything hooks up and how. I thought that the unit on the back of my intake manifold, right behind and underneath the distributor was a connection for like an electronic style oil pressure sender, (noob move, I know lol.)
Since your truck has had an engine swap, it's entirely possible that the engine was previously used in a vehicle with an electric oil gauge and still has the electric sending unit screwed into the oil pressure port. If that's the case, simply remove that sending unit and replace it with an oil line like Rod said.

Quote:
As far as my gauge, I would just use the stock gauge, and get an oil gauge line kit? Does it have to be copper line? I see a few online that are braided lines.
GM originally used 1/8" OD steel tubing to hook up the oil pressure gauges in these trucks. That size of steel tubing isn't all that common so many folks use more readily available copper tubing as a replacement.

Braided line can be used with some mechanical oil pressure gauges, but you will probably run into issues finding adapter fittings to hook it up to the back of the stock gauge. That's because the original gauges used a compression sleeve nut connection as shown in LockDoc's post in the first link Rob provided. Those sleeve nuts are designed to fit directly over 1/8" OD tubing and then screw directly into the back of the stock gauge.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #5
sixty4bigwindow

Ok so then that unit where I mentioned could be an oil pressure sending unit? Even if it is, there is no way to hook up that unit to my gauge, since they are different types I'm guessing.

Sounds like the best bet is to just get a copper tube kit and run it from the port where Rod said, into the back of the gauge.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #6
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Ok so then that unit where I mentioned could be an oil pressure sending unit? Even if it is, there is no way to hook up that unit to my gauge, since they are different types I'm guessing.
Yeah, there is no way an electric sending unit will work with the stock mechanical oil gauge. But once you unscrew that sending unit (and any adapters that might be under it) from the engine, you should be left with a hole that has 1/8" pipe threads. An adapter fitting that goes from 1/8" male pipe threads to a compression fitting for 1/8" OD tubing can then be threaded into the engine.

Quote:
Sounds like the best bet is to just get a copper tube kit and run it from the port where Rod said, into the back of the gauge.
Yes, that would be the easiest way to hook up the stock gauge. Just be aware that not all copper tube kits will include the correct compression sleeve nut that fits the back of the stock gauge. That is available separately as Weatherhead #6100x2 or Edelmann #111200. Or, I think I remember seeing a post where LockDoc was selling copper tubing kits that included all of these OE type nuts & fittings.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:42 PM   #7
franken

The line to the gauge was actually steel and is probably still hanging around. Look at the back of the gauge and follow it to the firewall, then the other side. You may just need a $2 fitting to connect it.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:41 PM   #8
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Lets see if i have a pic of all V8 motors that had the oil pressure hole and metal tube tube did my best the old 327 shows that it was there remember to block off the road draft tube with a freeze plug
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote