The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2017, 11:15 PM   #1
AZ Chev

Cruise Control Lever Re-plate

Hello All. I have a 69 CST10 that came from the factory with a factory cruise control system, which is all in tact except for the elusive turn signal switch. After much searching, I finally found a correct chrome cruise control lever on e-bay and purchased it, knowing it need re-plating. I received it today only to find the handle that houses the switch is cracked.

Given how hard it is to find one of these, should I send it back, or is it worth attempting a proper crack repair? If it is worth repairing does anyone have recommendations for how to successfully repair the cracks before having it re-plated?

I am familiar with how to disassemble these switches for re-plating, but have never actually had something plated before. Does anyone have a recommendation of where to send this for plating? I'm in southern Arizona.

Thanks, I'm always pleased with all the great advise I receive.
AZ Chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
Coley

Re: Cruise Control Lever Re-plate

...I can't help you much with the quality local chrome re-platers info, but someone here should be able to offer up something.
That said, do you have any pics of this system?...underhood as well as in the cab?
I've seen so very few of those as options it would be nice to see an original one intact.
Was it working it all?

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #3
jocko

I’m not a cruise expert - but I did think that the factory system used a dash switch, not the t/s switch. Or was that just in a different group of years like 71-72? I’ve grabbed a few t/s switches over the years but they were all from squares. Lookin to learn something here! I too would love to see some pics of what you’ve got.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
AZ Chev

I'm at the shooting range with the kids this morning, I'll try to get some pictures uploaded this afternoon. When I purchase the truck I thought it was an aftermarket system, but after much research, I've come to realize this is actually a factory-installed system. From what I've learned from this forum as well as other sources, the systems with the dash switch are dealer installed, and the systems with the turn signal switch were factory installed. Other than the switch, I believe these systems are very similar.

GM offered Factory cruise control systems on these trucks in the late 60s and early 70s. I've been told that the early square body styles we're not offered with cruise control from the factory, so many dealer installed systems were used with the dash switch.

I've gleaned most of this information from other threads on this forum. Based on the system that I have, it seems the information I have read is correct.

There is an almost complete system for sale now on the parts forum. It is actually a true factory system, missing a few small parts. The turn signal switch offered with the system is from a later year model, but is interchangeable.

I haven't had my cruise system running due to the missing switch, a few disconnected vacuum lines, and the fact that I haven't got the vehicle running yet.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
chewychevy67

I had my 68 lever re-chromed by Bob at chrome tech USA. He did my gauge bezel, glove box emblem and radio buttons as well. I am very pleased with his work. Maby give him a call and chat with him about repair
Attached Images

chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:17 PM   #6
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

68-71 cruise handle
Attached Images

1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624819
1989 V3500 Crew Cab (454tbi, NV4500, np205)
1970 Chevelle SS (LS5 454,th400,8track,buckets,tach)
:2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (daily driver)

WTB: 1968-70 Cruise Control Lever
71blksuper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:03 PM   #7
AZ Chev

Yup, that is it, is it for sale?

I have a WTB add on the parts forum.

Thanks for the picture.

I'll post some pictures of my system in a few.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:28 PM   #8
AZ Chev

Ok, here is the pictures of the system. As you can see, vacuum lines are disconnected, the brake petal switch has been bypassed, and the turn signal switch missing, as the broken wires for the switch show. The main cruise harness is in great shape. The diaphragm attaches to the throttle linkage with a ball chain. The original throttle linkage has a small catch mechanism that is part of the linkage for the end of the ball chain. It is attached with original GM bolts, and in original factory holes.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2017, 11:31 PM   #9
AZ Chev

And more Pictures
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2017, 11:45 PM   #10
AZ Chev

Thanks chewychevy for the vender contact. I will contact him the first of the week.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:30 AM   #11
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

Looks like you are on track, you have all the correct pieces. Trevor
1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624819
1989 V3500 Crew Cab (454tbi, NV4500, np205)
1970 Chevelle SS (LS5 454,th400,8track,buckets,tach)
:2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (daily driver)

WTB: 1968-70 Cruise Control Lever
71blksuper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:10 AM   #12
red70
Account Suspended

How do you get the lever assembly apart? I also need to get mine replated.
red70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:28 PM   #13
AZ Chev

Attached is the picture of mine. The button simply snaps off, and there is a wedge type directional star washer that holds the switch in. After removing the button, I used a 90 degree pick to release each tab on the star washer, and the switch slid out of the handle. The handle is pressed onto the lever, so using a small piece of aluminum pipe, or something like that, you can slide the pipe over the lever arm and tap off the handle.

The last thing you will need to do is either cut the wires going to the switch on the column side of the lever for future repair, or melt the solder where the wires connect to the switch so they can be slid all the way out of the switch and handle.

In some other threads, I noticed someone mentioned a small allen head screw inside of the handle to release the switch, but mine does not have that.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #14
AZ Chev

Oops, Here is the picture.
Attached Images