The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2019, 03:16 PM   #51
The Rocknrod

Re: aftermarket sniper install problems

So it's not just one or two people having problems with these units. Looking back now, I was real close to buying one of these as I read the hype on Hot Rod mag that was obviously paid for by Holley to write it. I do like the Street Demon black carb, but now I will probably stay with Edelbrock.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:04 PM   #52
sweetk30

i have read a LOT on the snipers and have noticed a huge uptick in problems posted in the last 2 months . glad i finaly got out of mine .

i have been watching a group of guys 5-6 of them with the NEW edelbrock pro flo 4 efi system . and felling from them all is its a super system / much better to make adjustments with program they provide / has progressive throttle linkage / sequential port injection / full timing control already in kit / blue tooth wireless to the ecm so no cord to route to the tiny 3.5" screen from the sniper .

1 guy has just over 120 miles since fire up and its still learning and he has a much bigger sbc than i do ( 280hpish stock vortec 5.7) and he said he is already pulling 12gpm average and its still learning .

so after watching these guys for a month solid / talking with them / asking questions / watching and reading the edelbrock forum and asking a lot there i pulled the trigger and the BIG BROWN truck dumped me off a 45lb package today of the whole kit plus the extra's i wanted .

hope in the next week or so to have mine up and running on the PRO FLO 4 edelbrock system .
Attached Images

85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.

Last edited by sweetk30; 02-01-2019 at 06:19 PM.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:05 PM   #53
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
i have read a LOT on the snipers and have noticed a huge uptick in problems posted in the last 2 months . glad i finaly got out of mine .

i have been watching a group of guys 5-6 of them with the NEW edelbrock pro flo 4 efi system . and felling from them all is its a super system / much better to make adjustments with program they provide / has progressive throttle linkage / sequential port injection / full timing control already in kit / blue tooth wireless to the ecm so no cord to route to the tiny 3.5" screen from the sniper .

1 guy has just over 120 miles since fire up and its still learning and he has a much bigger sbc than i do ( 280hpish stock vortec 5.7) and he said he is already pulling 12gpm average and its still learning .

so after watching these guys for a month solid / talking with them / asking questions / watching and reading the edelbrock forum and asking a lot there i pulled the trigger and the BIG BROWN truck dumped me off a 45lb package today of the whole kit plus the extra's i wanted .

hope in the next week or so to have mine up and running on the PRO FLO 4 edelbrock system .
Very nice. I like this system. The Edelbrock trailer was at the Roadster Grand Nationals over the past weekend and a couple guys running them happened to be at the trailer. They said the tuner app and diagnostics were really good. I like the system, looking forward to see how it performs for you! I am very interested in this setup on your new engine. I think it's a winner.

j
Old 02-02-2019, 11:29 AM   #54
sweetk30

my self with past problems from the other name brand system to this should be a real comparison story for sure .

i will soon be shifting the feedback and comments over the the truck build thread in the 4x4 section . so this thread can stay more to its original posting subject matter .

Old 02-13-2019, 12:05 AM   #55
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I received an email from Edelbrock the other day and it made me think about this thread. I hope you don't mind me posting this here?

https://www.edelbrock.com/eliminate-...m_medium=email
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:59 AM   #56
sweetk30

Talking Re: aftermarket sniper install problems

Seen that before .

And my pro Flo 4 box is in my shop !

Old 02-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #57
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I received an email from Edelbrock the other day and it made me think about this thread. I hope you don't mind me posting this here?

https://www.edelbrock.com/eliminate-...m_medium=email

Here's the gist of that article distilled down to match the spirit of this thread...

<snip>...
After no less than eight installations using the Holley TBI, Gateway has had key issues with each one.
Burgett pulled no punches when he listed the problems that his engine department was having with the Holley Sniper TBI. The major issues were:

SYSTEM FAILURE – Premature failure of the Sniper system in the field. Following a proper tune, it would backfire on the customer and then fail to start. This occurred with two of the eight installations.

BACKFIRING, BOGGING AND SURGING – Tuning was erratic. Burgett said that after properly tuning, they would see lean conditions with backfire into the intake, hesitation at start, bogging under hard acceleration, and surging.

EXCESSIVE IDLE SPEED – High idle speeds were set by an authorized independent repair shop under warranty in an effort to prevent stalling when shifting into Drive or Reverse. (Burgett says that this solution was provided by Holley Tech Support and the repair shop, not Gateway Bronco.)

INCONSISTENCY – Throttle response with the Holley Sniper could be exceptional on one vehicle, but poor on another with the exact same engine, ignition, tires, transmission, and gearing.

BURGETT SAID that when they tried to transfer a Sniper TBI to another vehicle to determine where the problem was, the same issues would follow the TBI unit.

Hth,

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:18 PM   #58
sweetk30

i love/hate the fact i have read so many people have problems with the coolant temp sensor off but to this day holley still will not talk about it and or give replacments or money back for the sensor people have purchased from the local parts store and solved the problem .

Last edited by sweetk30; 02-13-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:51 PM   #59
jeffahart

With this iteration, I really have my eye on this. I like DPI. I like the concept of the Direct Injection in my car... but I'm worried how far I'll be bent over when it comes time to get the injectors cleaned. I heard they're coming out with a system to clean that will only cost about $250, I am hopeful!

Anyhow, here you go, a fun scroll through...

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/...eatest-hit-12/

j
Old 02-26-2019, 09:36 PM   #60
sweetk30

well here is my build thread for the truck and page 7 is the installed short of the edelbrock pro flo 4 system .

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=755514&page=7

but at 30 miles today i can say this about the edelbrock pro flo 4 system .......

starts better / runs better / idles better / no nasty rich smell out the tail pipe / my buddy who is a everyday mechanic was riding and watching the big data page as we drove on the tablet and he was blown away at how well this system did / does and can do over the sniper kit , and he was there the same with the sniper on fire up and test drive . so he has first hand feedback same as me.

and the nasty rich smell on the sniper was tried 3-4 times to tune out and it never went away .

i can not say it to much so far this kit ROCKS OUT OF THE BOX

Old 02-26-2019, 10:07 PM   #61
jeffahart

Glad to hear. Happy for you! I may copy your setup. I like the DPI, never was big on the TBI sniper stuff. This my be the point where I'm ready to move off my old qjets for an electronic setup on a new engine.

Have fun!

j