The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #201
SCHRUMGMC

Re: Found my Great-Grandfathers 1959 GMC Apache

When I obtain the funds to, I have been asking a crap load of questions to better understand things.I know how to use Google, but on things that I feel that is important, I ask y'all since you all are "Pros in my book".I've been busy dealing with many personal family issues that have arose in these last few months, while applying at jobs and waiting on word back from the companies.
Attached Images

Last edited by SCHRUMGMC; 12-10-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #202
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Maybe now is the time to leave this one to fall off the page, and start a project thread. Then as you have questions post asking them. To much going on in one thread just makes a giant mess. If your afraid you will lose the info subscribe to the threads as you make them. Then you will have a bookmark of them via your usercp.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #203
SCHRUMGMC

Thank you Liz, I'll look into that.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #204
Indian113

There is a forum that is mainly a restore one. They might be able to answer the ?'s about paint and how things go together more than us. It's called Stovebolt.com and they really don't believe in hotrodding these trucks. We all know about lack of funds, but there a lot of things you can do without a lot of money. Have you ordered a LMC catalog yet? They are free and give a detailed picture of our trucks for a reference. I use them a lot when I'm working on both of my trucks, don't order too much from them but they are the only one that sells parts for my S10.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #205
SCHRUMGMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
There is a forum that is mainly a restore one. They might be able to answer the ?'s about paint and how things go together more than us. It's called Stovebolt.com and they really don't believe in hotrodding these trucks. We all know about lack of funds, but there a lot of things you can do without a lot of money. Have you ordered a LMC catalog yet? They are free and give a detailed picture of our trucks for a reference. I use them a lot when I'm working on both of my trucks, don't order too much from them but they are the only one that sells parts for my S10.
I have got tons of LMC and Brothers Truck parts mags, and some odd reason I haven't gotten any in the last month or so.I know my posts can be "annoying" its because I'm eager to learn on things, and I can see where many members are coming from, and I apologize

Indian, what would there be to do without any funds?, only thing I can think of is washing it
Old 12-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #206
Indian113

Taking body parts off, sanding parts and cleaning up the frame and paint with tractor paint. If you was closer I could keep you busy and you would get some hands on knowledge of your truck. I know I learn better when I do the work and take things apart my self. If you do take fenders off bag all your bolts and keep a log of what goes where. I usually take pictures of the complicated things I take apart. I always make diagrams of wiring too.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #207
SCHRUMGMC

The "Primer" I thought that was on this truck isn't primer at all, its "cheap stuff" from what the guy I bought it back from said.If it's not raining Indian I'll post some photos of the areas that have rusted, but maybe something can patch it up or something.Like on the back of the cab below the back window needs to be smoothed out.I'll see if my neighbor has some things to patch up some of the holes around the headlights.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:00 AM   #208
OrrieG

Time for the list:

1. Document everything. I photo my disassembly. I now print out the photos and put them in a binder in case the original format changes (got caught on that with my first two year teardown on video camcorder format). On somethings I make sketches in a notebook to explain the photos.
2. As you take things a part bag and tag them. It also helps to clean as you go, so when you start reassembly you can just open and assemble. I store the individual bags in coffee cans by sub assembly (front clip, engine, bed, cab inside, doors, etc.). I have two big tubs, one for the uncleaned parts and one for finished stuff.
3. Keep a note book handy. Use it to document stuff you find is missing, stuff you need to buy, stuff you need to figure out.
4. Keep your receipts organized. Never know when you might need to figure out where that part came from. I have an excel spread sheet that lists the supplier, store or shop; what the part or work was; and what it cost.
5. Do NOT track your time, it will drive you crazy and get you depressed.
6. In your note book have a section on your teardown and rebuild sequence. Note critical path milestones that will cause work to stop. Break down big tasks in to workable small tasks so you do not get overwhelmed and disappointed in your progress.
7. Look at the build threads here to get a reasonable handle on how long it takes to do stuff. It ranges from guys like me that are taking years to the pros that knock out a truck in 4-6 weeks with a shop full of employees and support suppliers, fabricators, etc. In my build thread I try to list the time it takes me to do something so others will have realistic expectations.
8. Ask questions, lack of knowledge is not a bad thing. It is better to ask and do it right than have to ask how to fix the screw up. This is a very good group of guys otherwise I would not stay here; I have bailed on half a dozen car sites because of the bs and back biteing.
9. Two signs I have in my shop “If you don’t have time to do in right, how are you going to have time to do it over?” and “Some people have a shrink, I have my garage”. Both put it into perspective. I was impatient as a youth, I now know when to take a break. It is amazing how clear some things become when you just let them sit and come back later. I have multiple task lists so I do not get bogged down doing one thing. I am currently doing final body work and blocking, takes a lot of time and can be mind numbing boring. I alternate one day for body work, one day for something else.
10. Buy good tools, crappy ones just hurt your body and mess stuff up. I have the same set of Craftsman tools I bought in 1973 (actually my third set the other two were stolen). Along the way I have accumulated more. I am on my third ½” rachet under the lifetime warranty. Most of mine I have gotten at yard and estate sale, good tools do not wear out (my flaring tool is from the 30’s, I use my great grandfathers carpentry tools some from the 1800’s, and I got a great set of micrometers and dial indicator set from a retiring machinist in the 80’s for a song because the guy liked my attitude!). Harbor Freight has its place for tools that will not be used much. If you are going to use them a lot (die grinders, da sanders, drills, 4” grinder etc.) buy good quality. Same with expendables like drill bits and hacksaw blades.

Also primer is NOT waterproof, in fact it will attact and hold moisture causing rust. It is used because it is cheap. If you want the primer look you will end up using finish paint with flattener to dull it out.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #209
SCHRUMGMC

Thank you Orrie for steering me in the right way, I will see if I can get this printed out..That gave me some motivation, I was thinking about lining the inside of the fenders with that Rhino black stuff, would you recommend it ??? seems like a good idea
Old 12-11-2013, 01:26 AM   #210
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

*keeps looking toward the project and build forum, but not seeing a new post yet
Old 12-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #211
SCHRUMGMC

Ah Liz , I'm waiting til real things such as welding and other things take place..and this Thread for small talk
Old 12-11-2013, 01:45 AM   #212
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

I am half teasing. However, I really would suggest making separate threads for topics. Of course, its your choice, but sometimes things are better let to fall off a page. Make sure you print out or hand write the list above. Study it and follow it.. that will save a bunch of silliness from happening. Take the advice given and put it to good use
Old 12-11-2013, 01:56 AM   #213
SCHRUMGMC

Thank you Liz, I love just sitting in this truck.My Grandmother tells me stories of where this truck has been etc.I have to keep telling myself "Its your Grandfathers truck" and you have all of the time in the world to restore it, one thing at a time
Old 12-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #214
SCHRUMGMC

What exactly is this, I also have a small arch thing, it all has to do with the Engine bay
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #215
coralhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHRUMGMC View Post
What exactly is this, I also have a small arch thing, it all has to do with the Engine bay
Flywheel cover. Good grief. You better rethink this.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #216
SCHRUMGMC

Rethink what?, I figured it was I wanted to get confirmation I mean damn Coral
Closed Thread