The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2016, 10:01 PM   #1
2sikStepside

Leaf Spring Reduction

Gonna lower my Silverado soon and I want to do about a 3/5 drop. I figure I can get a shackle and hanger kit (4") then reduce the leaf springs to get it down an extra inch or two. (I'd really like to go as low as possible without having to C-Notch) Any suggestions, thoughts, comments, or concerns would be much appreciated!
2sikStepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #2
1badgmc

Re: Leaf Spring Reduction

If you want to go lower than 4", it doesn't matter how you get there, you're still going to need a c-notch. So, if you really don't want to notch it, then stick with your shackles and hangers and call it done. If you can accept the fact that you'll have to notch it for more than 4", I would suggest just going ahead and getting a flip kit/c-notch. The install will be easier than having to deal with hangers and it would ride better than removing leafs to get down.
1badgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:37 PM   #3
2sikStepside

Thanks man I think I'm gonna have to go ahead and do the flip kit / c-notch. My biggest fear is puttin in all that work lowering it 4" and people thinkin I just leveled it lol
Old 06-02-2016, 02:06 PM   #4
Chris95GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sikStepside View Post
Thanks man I think I'm gonna have to go ahead and do the flip kit / c-notch. My biggest fear is puttin in all that work lowering it 4" and people thinkin I just leveled it lol
For that, I say, F what people think.

Your truck, if you want it lowered 4 inches, lower it 4 inches. Only person your truck needs to please is yourself. lol.

Here's one of my old ones, lowered 2 in the front with spindles, and 4 in the back with shackles/hangers. I didn't want it any lower.

No notch, but the people above are right, you'll want one for any lower. I had to cut my bumpstops as it is, any lower, or with any weight in the bed, and I was hitting the frame with the axle.

2008 K2500HD Duramax Sierra Crew Cab Short Bed - Daily
Chris95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:11 PM   #5
Cape Codder

Besides removing leafs will soften the ride and really make a c- notch needed to keep it from bottoming out.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:38 PM   #6
2sikStepside

Thanks man that actually looks lower than I thought. Startin to think that googling 2/4 drops aren't giving me accurate results lol
Old 08-08-2016, 11:10 PM   #7
2sikStepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris95GT View Post
For that, I say, F what people think.

Your truck, if you want it lowered 4 inches, lower it 4 inches. Only person your truck needs to please is yourself. lol.

Here's one of my old ones, lowered 2 in the front with spindles, and 4 in the back with shackles/hangers. I didn't want it any lower.

No notch, but the people above are right, you'll want one for any lower. I had to cut my bumpstops as it is, any lower, or with any weight in the bed, and I was hitting the frame with the axle.

I'd love to see more pics of your 2/4 drop if you got em man, thanks!
Old 08-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #8
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sikStepside View Post
Thanks man that actually looks lower than I thought. Startin to think that googling 2/4 drops aren't giving me accurate results lol
That looks alot lower then 2/4 does in person. Looks more like a 3/5 to me. Plus its a 4wd, so lowered is crazy cool.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #9
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post
If you want to go lower than 4", it doesn't matter how you get there, you're still going to need a c-notch. So, if you really don't want to notch it, then stick with your shackles and hangers and call it done. If you can accept the fact that you'll have to notch it for more than 4", I would suggest just going ahead and getting a flip kit/c-notch. The install will be easier than having to deal with hangers and it would ride better than removing leafs to get down.
I agree. A flip kit and C-notch is the way to go. Lowering more from there is easy if desired.

If you use it as a truck and haul stuff removing the overload spring or an intermediate leaf is a bad idea. My 89 when it was on air bags had the flip kit & C-notch plus the forward spring eye drop brackets along with single leaf springs. It was worthless without a bunch of air in the bags which raised it up close to a stock ride height. I swapped out the single leaf setup for a stock C1500 leaf stack and it was much better. Lost a couple inches of drop when aired out but well worth it for being able to use it as a truck and haul stuff with a nice stance too.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote