The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2017, 11:46 PM   #1
'63GENIII

Dana 44 Carrier and Pinion Bearing Replacement Questions

I've been searching here and on the internet for the last couple of hours and I cannot find a definitive answer for this. If anyone here can steer me in the right direction, I thank you in advance!

I have been "going through" my 1974 Dana 44 K20 axle, replacing ball joints, seals, calipers and axle u joints. I had been reluctant to pull the carrier to do the inner axle seals but finally got the nerve to do it. Got the seals in, put the carrier in the parts washer and noticed that the carrier bearings are pitted as are the races. I can't put it back together like this and would like to replace the bearings. Im guessing that the pinion bearings are in the same condition and might as well do those too.

My question is this.

If I am only replacing the bearings, is it necessary to "set up" the carrier again? Or do I just pull the bearings, leaving the existing shims in place and press on the new bearings?

These are the best pics of the bearings that I can get with my camera but the pitting is enough to catch a fingernail on which Im not thinking is good.
Attached Images

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:54 PM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Dana 44 Carrier and Pinion Bearing Replacement Questions

I would just replace the bearings as you said with just keeping track of the shims. But when reassembled, I would check the gear pattern and see where it is at. The good thing is that being a front differential, it does not get used all the time.....or maybe it does in your case? So you may be alright if the gear pattern is not perfect.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:27 AM   #3
'63GENIII

Thanks Captainfab. I was worried Id mess something up by pulling the carrier for the inner seals. Had no idea that I'd be getting into bearings too. Looks like this axle was rode hard and put away wet! Looks like it had water sitting in it for a long time too.

I really hope this axle has run out of surprises for me.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
D44 / 14bff - disc axles

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

Old 06-05-2017, 07:40 AM   #4
homemade87

The new pinion bearings will change the pinion depth some using the original shim . Probably not enough to worry about in this case. But the back lash needs to be the same . Need to measure it and duplicate when reinstalling . It can change quite a bit with new bearings on the carrier .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
Ironangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I would just replace the bearings as you said with just keeping track of the shims. But when reassembled, I would check the gear pattern and see where it is at. The good thing is that being a front differential, it does not get used all the time.....or maybe it does in your case? So you may be alright if the gear pattern is not perfect.
This! I will second keeping track of your shims on each side of the carrier, as well as the bearing caps! Mark them before removing them, TL, BL, etc. with a paint marker or scribe. Replace the original pinion shim(s) and set the races, and torque the pinion nut to zero play. Then take a gear pattern reading, you should be close enough for years of trouble free running. It dont hurt to take a preliminary backlash reading and then another after the new bearings are installed just to get an idea of how much wear took place.
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:58 PM   #6
61K10

The dana 44 the carrier shims are inboard of the bearing cones not on the outside of the race like 12bolt. the pinion shims are the same behind the race. Not an easy setup to do. I would just put it back together as is. those bearings will last unless you are using 4wd all the time. save for the dana60. Good luck what ever you chose Chris.

Kimble

my build is------------61K10 build

Last edited by 61K10; 06-05-2017 at 02:03 PM.
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:03 AM   #7
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
The new pinion bearings will change the pinion depth some using the original shim . Probably not enough to worry about in this case. But the back lash needs to be the same . Need to measure it and duplicate when reinstalling . It can change quite a bit with new bearings on the carrier .
Well, its gonna be tough to take a measurement now. I blew apart the drivers side cage last night trying to pull the bearing off. Hoping that the new Timkens haven't changed as far as tolerances go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
This! I will second keeping track of your shims on each side of the carrier, as well as the bearing caps! Mark them before removing them, TL, BL, etc. with a paint marker or scribe. Replace the original pinion shim(s) and set the races, and torque the pinion nut to zero play. Then take a gear pattern reading, you should be close enough for years of trouble free running. It dont hurt to take a preliminary backlash reading and then another after the new bearings are installed just to get an idea of how much wear took place.
I stamped the caps before I pulled them, and kept everything in order. That is until I jacked one carrier bearing trying to remove it. I had been reading that the inside races can be honed out for "set up" bearings. I was hoping to use them to check to see if I understand the set up right. Pretty sure that I can't use only 3 set up bearings to do this right

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61K10 View Post
The dana 44 the carrier shims are inboard of the bearing cones not on the outside of the race like 12bolt. the pinion shims are the same behind the race. Not an easy setup to do. I would just put it back together as is. those bearings will last unless you are using 4wd all the time. save for the dana60. Good luck what ever you chose Chris.

Kimble
I can definitely see the shims in there and now it looks as if I'll actually have to replace the bearings. I have a set of Timkens coming tomorrow. Grinder and cold chisel ready. This little 44 has set me back to where Im not gonna be able to justify a 60 for a little while. On the positive side of things though,If I am lucky enough to get the R&P back in right, it should also last me for quite a while longer now that most everything is new in it! If I were wheelin this truck hard, I probably wouldn't have stuck by this 44 but I haven't broken a 44 since I was 17. I guess that trip taught me the limitations of these things and Ive adjusted my driving style accordingly.

The most it will see is some muddy fire trails or snow a few times a year. Broken axles can be compensated for with big winches. Lol.

Thanks for the advice Kimble. I hope Im at the end of the tuition payments on this axle. Any other surprises and Ill be running around with an empty front Dana 44 .

'63 k15 long step
D44 / 14bff - disc axles