The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #326
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: The Hillbilly Deluxe dually build

No Joe, I closed my Facebook down. I hope you didn't think I unfriended you or something. I unfriended everyone !
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #327
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
No Joe, I closed my Facebook down. I hope you didn't think I unfriended you or something. I unfriended everyone !
AndI thought you just didn't like me anymore.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #328
Tx Firefighter

No offense meant to anyone on the Facebook deal. I just got tired of it one day and shut it off. I haven't really missed it either. I think Facebook is headed downward. A lot of the guys I work with are talking about shutting it off too.

Progress for today.....I'm hemorrhaging money.

I went to reassemble the rear hubs and found some bearings I just couldn't live with. If a bearing goes bad here, its likely to ruin a hub or axle housing, so this is no place to run sketchy parts.

So now I wait....

Four new Timken bearings and four new Timken races ordered....

Old 10-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #329
joe231

Quote:
I understand completely!!
Old 10-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #330
Low Elco

I'm about ready to do the same. Between the politics and religion, geeze, people.....
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #331
Tx Firefighter

This thread is liable to slow a lot for the next couple of weeks. I'm finishing a motorcycle restoration for a guy that has to make a show in three weeks. So I'm pushing stuff aside and focusing on getting that finished. Its been a tough project and I'll be so glad to see my lift table empty finally. The motorcycle I'm restoring had been submerged in the Gulf of Mexico for some period of time. Its been a challenge right at the edge of my skills and (mainly) edge of my sanity.

But, upside to that, completed motorcycle = working on dually with increased intensity afterward.

To keep my motivation in the mean time I'll still be gathering parts. I have a steering column inbound from another member on here right now. I'll also try and get the last two tires, lugnut covers, and new Alcoa center caps bought too.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #332
Low Elco

What's the bike? We need pics!
Old 10-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #333
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

About all I do is scroll pics on fb when I'm bored. I did some updates for my truck projects there mainly to let my extended family see what I've done with my time and money. And I do post a few pics occasionally to my kids and wifes page to give them a chuckle. That's about it though. I have a list page set up that is all auto related and that's what I go to rather than the inanity of the posts on the news feed.

Its a tool that gets used when needed.

I would also like to see the sunken treasure restoration pics. You can do a thread in the alternate tinkerings part of the forum, but I think a few pics here wouldn't bother anyone.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #334
Tx Firefighter

I'll snap some pics of the bike when I get it more together. Its probably hard for anyone to understand but the guy who owns it. Its an old Honda dual sport. We discussed right up front that a restoration was a financial disaster, but he bought the bike brand new and wouldn't ever sell it so, restore it I have. It was indescribably rough. The 400 dollar parts bike I bought to rob stuff off of was a much better bike if that tells you anything. The guy has been a great person to do work for. Nice and patient to a fault. He is kind of private though, so I'll just show a few pictures when I get it finished.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #335
Tx Firefighter

I'll post these then wont derail the thread anymore....

I also just finished restoring an old Wilton vise for myself....

The chrome shop wanted $150 to redo the handle so I just left it original. Its a working vise, not a show vise.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #336
rs74

He bought it new and won't sell it. Just how did it come to be in the Gulf of Mexico for some time.

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #337
rs74

The bike looks like new! I used to have an old XL 100 & 500 myself. You do some nice work. The vice looks great too. Carry on.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 10-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #338
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs74 View Post
He bought it new and won't sell it. Just how did it come to be in the Gulf of Mexico for some time.
I didn't ask him for the painful details on the oceanic excursion, but he lives in Houston, so the Gulf is right close to him.

Salt water just destroys stuff. For example, to get the rear wheel bolt/axle out, I had to lift the entire bike and support it on sawhorses and slide the rear wheel into my 20 ton shop press, then apply heat and penetrating oil and hydraulic pressure for a week before the bolt would begin to move. Needless to say the bearings within we're not in good shape.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #339
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Love the color on that vice. Sharp!
Old 10-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #340
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Its a working vise, not a show vise.
Show vise? I can just imagine it. Some hall at the fairgrounds with tables set up and a vast assortment of vises. Different classes for stock and modified, cast and forged, wood or metal, pre-WWII, pre-WWI, Pre-Civil war, restored and unrestored and over in the corner is the new rat-vise section but it's just a fad and will be replaced with a new asian econo-vise section any time now.

That is an incredible job on the bike though. And the vise too. Looks like a show vise to me, except it needs a new handle.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #341
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Show vise? I can just imagine it. Some hall at the fairgrounds with tables set up and a vast assortment of vises. Different classes for stock and modified, cast and forged, wood or metal, pre-WWII, pre-WWI, Pre-Civil war, restored and unrestored and over in the corner is the new rat-vise section but it's just a fad and will be replaced with a new asian econo-vise section any time now.

That is an incredible job on the bike though. And the vise too. Looks like a show vise to me, except it needs a new handle.
You need to step over to the Garage Journal forum board. There's guys there that geek out over old tools way more than we do about SPID numbers.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:18 AM   #342
Greenlee

Nice work on the old Honda! I owned a bunch of them growing up and would love to have another one.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:31 AM   #343
Low Elco

You're on the GJ also? They love their vises and compressors, don't they? Yours looks great. Nice work on the bike! Please kick in the side work pics, I'm enjoyin' 'em! How big is your PC oven?
Old 11-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #344
rs74

Going backwards here a bit. If you wasn't going to sand on the wheels what type of product would you use to clean wheels like that up. I bought some mothers compound but just doesn't seem to be cutting it. I thought about neverdull but didn't know if it would work.

Do I need to get another product or get a buffing wheel and put on a power tool? Trying to clean up my Eagle rims on my K30. Thanks

1987 R10 shortie
Old 11-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #345
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlee View Post
Nice work on the old Honda! I owned a bunch of them growing up and would love to have another one.
Thank you. I'm not real emotionally attached to this bike so the restoration has been more difficult than if it were my own dream bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
You're on the GJ also? They love their vises and compressors, don't they? Yours looks great. Nice work on the bike! Please kick in the side work pics, I'm enjoyin' 'em! How big is your PC oven?
I am on the GJ. I don't talk much over there though. Tech discussions about Harbor Freight tools and pegboard hooks aren't real engaging to me so I mostly just scan for interesting stuff here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs74 View Post
Going backwards here a bit. If you wasn't going to sand on the wheels what type of product would you use to clean wheels like that up. I bought some mothers compound but just doesn't seem to be cutting it. I thought about neverdull but didn't know if it would work.

Do I need to get another product or get a buffing wheel and put on a power tool? Trying to clean up my Eagle rims on my K30. Thanks
I wonder if your wheels are clear coated. I know some brands of wheels are. When I got these, even as bad as they were, a few minutes of polishing showed promise so I knew there was hope.

Regardless, you're going to have to start aggressive enough to get the skank off of them. Maybe a fine Scotchbrite and water ? Then get finer from there on out. Notice in my picture there, even though there was polishing going on, there were bits of contamination that weren't going to polish off. I had to sand that stuff out, then bring the polished finish by getting finer in increments. I wish I was a polishing Jedi. I'm just learning as I go myself.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #346
Tx Firefighter

I had a little time on my hands today while the motorcycle carb was boiling in the crock pot on the workbench.

What kind of deviant spends two hours sandblasting and powdercoating the rear brake drums on a work truck ?

That's me, I'm that guy.

Lord these things are heavy. I read each drum goes 45 pounds. I believe that to be true. They may weigh a lot, but at least they're sanitary now.

Another part of my life spent doing work that will never be seen by anyone except me. It makes no sense.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #347
Tx Firefighter

And, FedEx and Rockauto just delivered again. New bearings and races for the rear hubs.

That was not a cheap box to buy. Big truck, big money.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #348
Billy81

Those brake drums came out great, I wish i could of done that to the drums on my 3/4 ton but i didn't have the time or resources but i definitely would have if i did.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #349
Tx Firefighter

I started assembling the rear hubs and drums. Again, its hard to convey how heavy this stuff is. The combined hub, drum, bearings, and hardware must go 70 pounds each or so.

The hubs are weird design as you have to load them entirely from the back. You turn it upside down and drop in the outer bearing, press in the outer race, install a large internal circlip, press the inner race in, drop in inner bearing, then press seal in place. Then you drop the drum onto the hub and press in the 8 wheel studs which hold the assembly together.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #350
meatwagon83

i know how heavy that stuff is! i rebuilt my rear a couple of years ago