The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2017, 02:55 PM   #1
Dwolfe

65' stepside Air ride help?!

Hey everyone i'm sure there are awesome air ride threads out there but I wanted some questions answered specifically to my truck. I traded for the truck with all this done so far, drop spindles in the front w/disc, and notch in the rear. I don't know how much of drop spindle it is or were it's from. but its decently low. I'm going full air ride and want to get as low as possible( although laying frame is not necessary). I so far, I'm going to be doing a triangulated 4 link, ( my truck is leaf)
under axle bag mounts.
So my questions are :

Is my notch tall enough to get as low as possible? or should I make it taller?

Should I fabricate a rear crossmember for the 4 link to mount too and for more clearance for the drive shaft?

Also were should i relocate new shock mounts too?

and the final big question, is it worth the headache of z ing the front frame? , how much to make it worth it? and what all then needs to be modified to make it work?

Hope this isn't too much just have lots of questions!
Attached Images

Dwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:14 PM   #2
JohnJ@RideTech

Re: 65' stepside Air ride help?!

Is there anyway you could snap a couple of more pics of your current rear setup?
I have a complete bolt in kit for that year truck that would convert your rear suspension to a trailing arm setup. In the front, you would get new upper and lower control arms, Shockwaves, a bigger sway bar and lowering spindles.
This could get you down pretty low but I would like to see what has been modified in the rear to see if our system would work.
Check out the link below and let me know what you think. The only items you would need outside of this kit is the air management system.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/product-3296.html
Office: 812-482-2932
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Instagram: @ridetech_john
JohnJ@RideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:34 PM   #3
Dwolfe

thanks john! but Im going triangular 4 link set up heres some more pics let me know guys please!
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
jcramsey

I'd guess you probably need a taller notch in the back if you want to go as low as possible. Looks like you've only got ~4" of room for the axle to move before it bottoms out and your rocker is ~8" off the ground. if you wanna be on the ground I don't think you would be happy. I'd say a 4" taller notch and you would be good. Of course other things could be hitting the ground before you get that low....

The Government Mule
jcramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:38 AM   #5
Dwolfe

gotcha! measured the notch , it's about 6.5 inches of clearance just going to go ahead and notch it until 8 inches to get full drop. But still wondering if doing a z on the frame is worth it. I can't really swing the porter built. and I have my truck down to frame, so I can do the z
Old 04-27-2017, 07:46 AM   #6
JohnJ@RideTech

The guys at GSI Machine and Fabrication have some pretty sweet C10 setups as well. Might want to check them out if you are interested laying frame. Their components are top notch.
Office: 812-482-2932
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Instagram: @ridetech_john
JohnJ@RideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:30 AM   #7
jcramsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwolfe View Post
gotcha! measured the notch , it's about 6.5 inches of clearance just going to go ahead and notch it until 8 inches to get full drop. But still wondering if doing a z on the frame is worth it. I can't really swing the porter built. and I have my truck down to frame, so I can do the z

If I was going to rework the notch and had my truck to the frame, I would z it! Only so many ways to get these trucks low if you don't want to shell out the big bucks.

The Government Mule
jcramsey is offline   Reply With Quote