The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
cleszkie

Fuel Pressure for Quadrajet?

I have been experiemnting for a while now to find the best fuel pressure for my Q-jet. Want to see what has worked for others. I find that I'm between 5 and 7 psi. However, within this range, I find that my idle RPM will change. Idle RPM will increase slightly with higher fuel pressure, and decrease slightly with lower fuel pressure. Why is that?
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
RED 1970
Account Suspended

Re: Fuel Pressure for Quadrajet?

I don't know about q-jets but sounds like the extra fuel pressure might be pushing a little extra fuel past the needle/seat.
RED 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
CSGAS
optomistic ah-so

Indeed it is, and you'll find that at the higher pressure you'll have a hard time pinning down an idle mixture because there will be a few screw turns that seem to make no difference in the way the engine runs.

For the street, my mentor taught me that Q-jets like 4.5-5.5 psi, and I've never seen anything to contradict that personally. Higher pressure should be used for off-road applications, like the strip, mud bogging, or marine tune...it improves performance off the line then, and you don't worry about fuel mixture at idle.

1970 C-10 lwb Fleetside. Originally 350 2-bbl 3-on-the-tree, m/b, m/w, m/s no a/c. Currently running on a '76 Camaro 305.
CSGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
cleszkie

RED 1970 & CSGAS - I think you guys are on the money with the high pressure pushing fuel past the needle seat. Just as CSGAS stated, I am having trouble pinning down my idle mixture because I have those idle screw turns that don't affect the idle quality like they should. Thanks for the input.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote