The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
WIDESIDE72

55 1st series VIN question

I al in Texas so since each state is different how should i handle this? As most of you know, the VIN # matches the number on the engine, not the tag on the door opening. What do y'all do when the original engine is gone??? I have a title, but i have pulled the engine to install a v8. the title will then have no connection to the truck. Im thinking i would buy a blank tag and stamps then stamp the vin on it and attach it to the truck. Then call the state for inspection and show them the original engine matches this vin. What would they do then? Issue a new title?
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
sleepindawg

Re: 55 1st series VIN question

Here in Kansas, when they (HighWay Patrol) came to the house to inspect my truck I asked him if after he verified everything was good to go if we could list the production number on the tag as the i.d. number since I had changed to a v-8 as well. He at that time listed the engine number as a reference number and listed the production number as the i.d. number so there wouldn't be a problem with title transfers in the future.

Keep in mind, that I did have the matching engine even if I did have it installed into another truck. So hopefully when I have it inspected (by the same patrolman) he'll know where the engine came from and list the other truck with it's door tag as well.

Tim
sleepindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
OrrieG

Each State is different. Go to your local, hopefully smallm DMV office and find out what to do. Altering VIN tags is against the law and will only raise suspicion. Usually the State DMV has a web page that specifically addresses this issue since it happens a lot. You might use the search box above, click this site and use Texas Title as the search topic and see what turns up.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:04 PM   #4
OrrieG

Read post 7 of this thread...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444245
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:55 PM   #5

Just went through the alomost exact same situation last year. And yes technicaly from 1955 and down in the state off Texas the title went by the numbers on the block. and the title I had showed those numbers but the truck had no motor, so I got a bonded title, not a big deal, but that being said you have to have a theft inspection as part of the bonded title process, and to quailify for a bonded title it has to be a complete truck frame, cab, motor, or else it's just parts, the lady I used for the bonded title was very helpful and explained everything, I didn't want to complicate the situation so I did not bring up the title I had because I wanted the new title to go by the numberson the cab, and plus if I ever decided to sell the truck, I didn't wanna have a hard time, with people thinking I was up to no good, because 99.9% of people don't know how vehicles where titled pryor to 1956 even at the tax office, beca use back then if you blew up your motor you went to the tax office paid like a $10 fee gave them the numbers on the new motor and they sent you a new title, try that today and see how they look at you, if anyone needs the number for the lady that does the title recovery let me know
918733 is offline   Reply With Quote