The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2022, 12:15 AM   #1
stepsider

Question Transmission Lines/headers

Can't use the stock tranny lines with my new headers. I'm thinking of using a after market cooler that I can mount to the side of the frame. I've seen the tube type and the small radiator type. Which would be the the or easter type ?
stepsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 06:46 AM   #2
Ironangel

Re: Transmission Lines/headers

I run headers on both my 72's, one is a big block and dont have any clearance issues. Installing an isolated trans cooler is fine unless you live in region where it gets cold because the "cooler" built into the radiator actually warms up the trans fluid in cold conditions. Most stand alone coolers attach to the front of the radiator meaning your going to have to run lines up there to it. And many coolers incorporate the internal cooler in the radiator. So what I'm getting at is your going to have to run new cooler lines where ever you choose to mount it. Why not just buy a set of new pre-bent metal lines to the radiator? Maybe a pic of your problem would help us understand the problem...
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:14 AM   #3
cj847

Not sure why the stock lines won't work. You can bend them fairly easily if you just need a little clearance. Alternately, it is relatively easy to bend new lines. That is what I had to do as the previous owner had over tightened and destroyed the ends.
Just buy the 3/8" or 5/16" brake lines (can't remember the size) in the correct length and bend to fit (use a bending tool for tight bends-you can borrow them from the parts store).
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 10:07 AM   #4
stepsider

I did buy pre bended lines for the tranny. Tried putting them on with the headers on. I will remove header to have more room to work with and see how that works out. Thank for the input and info.
stepsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 11:08 AM   #5
72SB

If the tranny lines are close to headers in one area even after bending them some to clear....you can use a heat wrap like what Vibrant Performance makes for that section of line. It is split loom but made of heat wrap and comes in various ID (3/8", etc) by 4' length. Summit, etc carry it

If using a higher than stock stall TC, plumb in a additional tranny cooler typically mounted in front of radiator or below it if its a cylinder type cooler. The return line would go to the "in" side of the AUX cooler and the "out" line of AUX cooler runs back to the return port of trans. The path of line is your choice.
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 11:30 AM   #6
HotWheelsFan

From what I have read on aftermarket transmission coolers: They recommend using in conjunction to the built in radiator coolers...

Just a note to look into in-case you need.
HotWheelsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:21 AM   #7
Bigdav160

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWheelsFan View Post
From what I have read on aftermarket transmission coolers: They recommend using in conjunction to the built in radiator coolers...

Just a note to look into in-case you need.
The liquid to liquid cooler in the radiator tank is very efficient. The liquid to air external coolers - not so much.

It takes a fairly large external cooler to replace the internal one.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:11 PM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepsider View Post
I did buy pre bended lines for the tranny. Tried putting them on with the headers on. I will remove header to have more room to work with and see how that works out. Thank for the input and info.
With or without headers... trying to get to the cooler line fittings at the transmission are a pain in the butt.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote