The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2022, 08:52 AM   #51
special-K
Special Order

Re: Dog dish hubcaps

That's great to see it both ways. You show how I like them, and what I recall seeing back in the day (mostly), wheel covers with whitewalls and hubcaps with blackwalls. Deluxe vs standard. Especially with the wheel covers whitewalls are a must for me.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 11:24 AM   #52
cericd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike80D View Post
That truck is beautiful. You throw some nice caps on it, and PRESTO! My 72 came factory with the P01 covers, but I had a second set of wheels powder coated, and bought a nice set of stainless caps from a member. Painted the bow tie blue. I switch back and forth for a different look.
Thanks for the compliment. I actually have three sets of caps/wheel covers for it. A set of white, a set of stainless and a set of full wheel covers. I need to paint the bow ties blue on the white or stainless caps before I run them. When I put the steel wheels on it I couldn’t decide between caps or wheel covers and was worried about scarring up the freshly powder coated wheels so I've just been running capless. I had my tires installed black-walls out since my truck is a base model and I will likely go with the white or stainless caps. Having two sets of wheels and tires is a cool idea. Your truck looks great both ways (love that color!).

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872

Last edited by cericd; 06-04-2022 at 12:32 PM.
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 03:04 PM   #53
factorystock

The overall wheel and cap combo look is more crucial on painted caps. IMO, wheel paint condition should match hubcap paint condition for the optimum look.
Attached Images

factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 04:37 PM   #54
cericd

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
The overall wheel and cap combo look is more crucial on painted caps. IMO, wheel paint condition should match hubcap paint condition for the optimum look.
Agreed. Here are a few pics that I saved from the forum that remind me how good the base model caps can look when done correctly even with a chrome front bumper. I realize that a truck equipped with white caps would also have had a white front bumper. The previous owner of my truck switched the front bumper to chrome and I must say I prefer the look on a med gold truck. However, I do however, like white front bumpers on several other colors of pickup, orange, red, blue, black and yellow just to name a few. Basically just not med gold, the color of my truck, lol.
Attached Images

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 08:43 PM   #55
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
Agreed. I realize that a truck equipped with white caps would also have had a white front bumper.
Great photos, thanks for posting. This is true on the base models. It's confusing because the chrome front bumper and or chrome hubcaps could have been ordered as options on base models also. Some higher trim vehicles also came with painted hubcaps if the optional chrome hubcaps were not ordered ( see Cheyenne 20 photo below). In my years of observations, it was very common for owners to swap out painted bumpers for chrome, but usually not the other way around. So it basically boils down to personal preference, and most people preferred chrome, regardless of what there SPID said or didn't say. I actually prefer the painted look. When the custom wheel fad hit in the 70's and 80's, many original trucks ( especially 3/4 tons with 2 piece rims) lost there wheels and hubcaps forever.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2022, 09:03 PM   #56
Mike80D

Just stumbled upon this pic, and lurking in the background appears to be an early 69 with the argent silver (?) caps. That 67 ain’t bad either 😎
Attached Images

Mike80D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:26 PM   #57
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike80D View Post
lurking in the background appears to be an early 69 with the argent silver (?) caps.
Lets get a blow up on that.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2022, 07:42 AM   #58
Mike80D

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
Lets get a blow up on that.
Love it! Let’s get that thing back to the dealer for a rear bumper install. 👍
Mike80D is offline   Reply With Quote