The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2022, 06:01 PM   #1
tenminutes

Is this intake trash? Price is too good to be true it feels like

In looking at LS1 intakes for my 04' pull out LQ4 with the ugly truck intake currently on it. I came across this package that includes

1. Black 3mm Sheet Metal Aluminum
2. Black Fuel Rails With Braided Fuel Line Is Included
3. Throttle Body
4. Gaskets and Hardware Included.

$499.99 and 17 in stock.

For Perspective I called Texas Speed today and they dont even have an ETA on when their sheet metal intake that looks identical to this, doesn't include the throttle body, and is $1399.

Anyone have experience with it? This would only be for enhanced looks. Motor is stock internals.

https://swperformanceparts.com/product/501bk/
tenminutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:46 PM   #2
PbFut

Re: Is this intake trash? Price is too good to be true it feels like

I don't have experience with this part. Given you are doing this for looks, I'd give it a shot. For reference I made 440 HP/TQ at the rear wheels using an OEM GTO intake. Car was tested on Multiple Dynos as it was in a NASA Time Trial Car. It was a LS2 block with a small stroker crank. You want long runners for torque in a truck. Check out Speedmaster79.com. Some really fun stuff over there.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:10 PM   #3
tdangle

I just watched a motor trend Engine Masters segment on LS intake manifolds. You may want to check it out. They tested a number of Hollley intake manifolds.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:11 PM   #4
indymachinist

Those intakes are a great way to lose low end torque in trade for high rpm power your stock engine will not realize.

Other then that if you just want it for looks it’s probably fine.

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 12:41 AM   #5
Accelo

Check out the reviews. You almost always loose low end HP with the sheet metal intakes.
Typically don't catch up with OEM stuff till the motor is over 6000rpm.
If performance is your goal I would use the Trailblazer SS intake. If looks was important go with the Black or an OEM Corvette intake. You will likely have to change the accessories to match the intake. The truck intake will make more HP than a stock LS1 intake.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 08:26 AM   #6
Joyridin

Depends on what you are doing with it. If you are buying it for looks, they look awesome. They work fine on the street, but if you are looking to squeeze the last drop of HP and torque from your engine, there are other options that are WAY better.

It is $499. You get what you pay for. For most stock LS engines with a cam and headers, it will work fine.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:46 AM   #7
PbFut

A street driven vehicle, be it car or especially truck is a mixed up bag of compromises between performance, looks, and comfort. A race car/truck is not. It is all performance. That being said, 10 or so hp/tq increase or loss will not make any difference in the way the truck performs on the street. The additional performance will be compensated for in the throttle position and only missed at WOT. How often is one at WOT on the street? Of course there is a curve of perception as the delta increases in power. 10 or even 20 hp is not that noticeable and quickly forgotten in a day or two.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 04:39 PM   #8
LS short box

On my latest LS3 swap I was very tempted to go with a sheet metal intake of some kind of like the one above. I talked to a couple of chassis dyno guys and both said go with stock LS3 intake. They said with the sheet metal intake you will lose low end torque and add very little up top. Nothing against 5.3 engines but they as much low end as they can muster. I would search for a LS6 intake.
I've found them on LS1tech and Corvette Forums.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 04:51 PM   #9
LS short box

Just FYI. There is LS6 a complete LS6 intake for sale over on LS1tech. I don't know the seller from anyone. Just passing it along.
Old 06-12-2022, 05:29 PM   #10
CC69Rat

As others have said, you'll sacrifice low end (streetable) power with it, and also remember to run the LS1 style car intake on the LQ4, you'll need to change the waterpump and spacing to the Fbody setup. The LS2 intake is 90mm TB stock, already 4 bolt too. The LS6 intake is 76mm 3 bolt style. Both flow really well for a stock intake (proven on a bench) and the LS2 fuel rails are already setup for a return line. I went LS2 on mine. This is an 04 model LQ4 truck motor. 98 Camaro water pump, ICT Billet spacers, and truck accessories. Modified Alternator bracket and idler pulley.
Attached Images

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 05:31 PM   #11
CC69Rat

Throttle body and Alternator fit nicely.. 90 -102mm spacer / adapter.
Attached Images

1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
Old 06-13-2022, 12:43 PM   #12
tenminutes

I am SO out of my element here guys. This thread is already super helpful. So thank you very much. Ideally I could just make it look like the above motor, but I am worried that I have cathedral ports not rectangle (i'm honestly not sure). I love the way that intake looks and with the right fuel rails and Holly Valve covers I'd be totally happy with that. But I think that I'd have to buy a billet cathedral to rectangle port spacer...any thoughts on those?

Few updates to clear up what I know and don't know:

1. Motor was purchased and installed in my Jimmy before I bought it.
2. It has a Dirty Dingos high mount compressor bracket (not sure that effects anything related to this conversation)
3. 2010 Camaro Water pump and fBody Oil Pan (i think see pictures below)
4. General note to comments: I will not be racing anyone in this thing. I'd love to get on the Goodguys or maybe even the Barrett Jackson road tours at some point, but the net of "my intent" is to have a bullet proof driver that is throaty (headers to Borla's accomplish that) but reliability is king for me.

Pictures are worth a thousand words so here are some pictures of what I am working with if that dictates the added commentary here.
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2022, 12:57 PM   #13
CC69Rat

Pass side, lower right corner of the head, you'll see a pad with 3 numbers on it. 862, 706, 317, etc. What are those numbers?

The LS2 intake is cathedral port, and they come stock with 42# injectors, EV6. The stock LQ4 is 25# injectors. If you find a takeoff LS2, you can get it all usually for around $500.

The biggest issue with the LQ4 is compression. The LQ9 (Escallades, 2500s, Denalis) is basically the same as the LQ4, but the LS9 has flat top pistons in it. The LQ4 has dish pistons.

To REALLY wake up the 6.0, you will want to bump the compression a little bit. The stock 317 heads (may be what's on your motor?) Are 76cc, and it will only give you about 9:1 compression. Small cam, a good intake, and a head swap for NA motor, get the compression up a little bit and you'll be knocking on 450hp pretty quickly. The 317s are good for boosted motors.. but there are better options out there for NA.

But your motor looks great man!. I'd do an LS2 intake swap. Just me. The fabricated intakes are sharp but you will lose the low end torque.

Old 06-13-2022, 01:36 PM   #14
tenminutes

Chad- will you fault me if I copy cat? If not, can you link me to those injector brackets? I like how they sit above the valve cover and it allows me a lot more variety of valve covers.

I agree, if I change anything it'll be for an LS2 intake. Glad I posted, this really brought that home for me!
Old 06-13-2022, 03:25 PM   #15
CC69Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenminutes View Post
Chad- will you fault me if I copy cat? If not, can you link me to those injector brackets? I like how they sit above the valve cover and it allows me a lot more variety of valve covers.

I agree, if I change anything it'll be for an LS2 intake. Glad I posted, this really brought that home for me!
Naa man! I'd be honored if you did. I appreciate the compliments. The valve covers I used are from Proform. If you Google Proform LS Slant Edge valve covers they'll come up. Summit has them. They come in all sorts of colors, with or without the logo, etc. They are pretty cool, I'd buy them again for sure. The coil brackets are specific to this valve cover design. It just kinda cleans up the coils and how they sit on the valve cover. You will need longer plug wires, the factory ones won't reach. I have some MSD Steetfire coils on the way, it should work out.. (hopefully) .. but just be sure they'll work with whatever coils you plan to run. The D581 coils wont fit the LS3/LS7 style coil brackets, or the LS1 / LS6 style. Ask me how I know..

The brackets I have are setup for the LS1 / LS6 spacing and I will need to modify them slightly.

I just wanted something that looked kinda stock, clean and on somewhat of a budget. I was going with an LSXR but I just couldn't find one in stock. I'm pretty happy with the LS2 style though. The fuel rail is setup for a return already too, so that's a plus for a C10 (as far as I've read) I'm still researching as I go. This is my first LS build.

Old 06-13-2022, 04:35 PM   #16
LS short box

Another thought if you want to keep the stock intake. On different GM models with V8's there a number of different intake covers. Some that completely cover the intake and coils. Once you bolt them on you can't see the intake or coils.
Old 06-13-2022, 04:39 PM   #17
tenminutes

I see. I wonder if my water pump will work. Hmm.

I might also need to see pics of your c10 if you are willing to post.

Last question, does anything you changed make this anything bigger than a 366 displacement? Reason being, I had billet badges make a custom grill emblem made for "366". Just curious...again shows my ignorance
Old 06-13-2022, 08:49 PM   #18

First off…it’s not ignorant when you are trying to learn something new.
If you don’t change the bore size or change the stroke on the motor then u didn’t change displacement.
Just something to consider….u have the 3 bolt truck intake. It’s a good intake just not the prettiest girl in the line up. You could have it shaved. Google..shaved truck intake to get a better idea of what I’m talking about. I have seen several like yours on Facebook marketplace that are shaved, for sale and a few guys who will do 1 for you for a fee. You also have the top side mount. Some guys prefer that to the low mount. One advantage to it is if u need to work on something, it’s easier to get to and fix.
Cover…have seen custom covers as well. U can look up an older thread here that talks about that.
Heads… if u change those 317 heads, u can change compression thus changing horsepower. But….be careful. U have 9.5 compression. 10.0 is about the max on regular unleaded . Gas is high enough as is.
3767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:46 PM   #19
tenminutes

Good intel. Yes, it currently has a Caddy motor cover. It bothers me that it has a caddy emblem on it. Otherwise I don't totally mind it. I may grab it and see if there's some kind of OEM looking GMC logo I could have 3D printed for a couple hundred bucks and placed over the Caddy emblem. That might at min be a short term solution.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2022, 02:52 PM   #20
CC69Rat

With the Caddy cover, it might be a flat top motor(?) LQ9 maybe? Have you checked it to see if it has flat tops or dish pistons in it? Just kinda curious?