The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
71c10longbed

Engine build opinions

It is finally time in my build to send the 350 to the machine shop. It is the stock 71. My intent is to get more power, but not break the bank or drive-ability of the truck.

I have a high rise aluminum intake manifold and edebrock 600cfm carb I will be using. I have a set of long tube headers and HEI ignition that will also be used.
I currently have a 204/214@050 and plan on using it.

So for the build do I:
1. Put flat tops in with stock heads to increase compression (these are the stock 76CC heads that are fairly recently rebuilt). If I decide to upgrade heads later this somewhat limits my choice, but do I care with a relatively small cam??

2. Go back with the dish pistons and plan on upgrading to vortec heads somewhere down the line.
71c10longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
clay68c10

Re: Engine build opinions

What’s the budget? Are you going to have to bore the stock block and buy pistons?
If Vortec heads (and intake) are in the plan someday, can you get the Vortec crate engine for similar $ now?
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #3
Coley

In my opinion your camshaft selection is going to be substantially more important for making power than all that bolt on stuff afterwards.....particularly if you are doing an upgrade to the heads later.

So...what kind of cam?....well, what kind of driver are you and where do you want to feel and experience your power? ....around town, streetlight to streetlight or passing power on the highway?

What sort of tires are you running on the truck? 15" or?....what is rear differential ratio? 3.07? 3:73? or?

...personally, I would always move towards a high lift cam...and not a long duration (ie: lumpity lumpity) cam on a truck.
The higher lift will generate more immediate torque and acceleration down low.

So what kind of driver are you and where do you want your power?

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:07 PM   #4
71c10longbed

The plan is to bore block with new pistons. Hopefully use existing crank and rods. I've got a brand new timing chain/gears so I'll save some $$ there.

Based on conversations with the machine shop, I am anticipating $1,000 - $1,500 max for a complete engine.

I guess my main question is can I make decent power with flat tops and stock heads?....

or are the vortecs so much better I need to plan on them? Plus there are additional costs with the vortecs - intake manifold, self-aligning rockers, valve covers.

I am kinda leaning towards stock heads and flat tops, because if I am not happy I can upgrade the heads later to something like this:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...make/chevrolet
Old 10-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #5
71c10longbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
In my opinion your camshaft selection is going to be substantially more important for making power than all that bolt on stuff afterwards.....particularly if you are doing an upgrade to the heads later.

So...what kind of cam?....well, what kind of driver are you and where do you want to feel and experience your power? ....around town, streetlight to streetlight or passing power on the highway?

What sort of tires are you running on the truck? 15" or?....what is rear differential ratio? 3.07? 3:73? or?

...personally, I would always move towards a high lift cam...and not a long duration (ie: lumpity lumpity) cam on a truck.
The higher lift will generate more immediate torque and acceleration down low.

So what kind of driver are you and where do you want your power?

All good
Coley
I am looking for good torque and mid-range. 5000rpm tops is fine with me. I current have 255/70/15 tires on the truck with 3.07. The rear end will most likely get upgrade to 3.4 in future.

I currently have a 204/214 cam, lift is 421/444. The cam was a nice upgrade over stock while still having decent manners. I will be changing out the cam though.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #6
sick472

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71c10longbed View Post

I guess my main question is can I make decent power with flat tops and stock heads?....
Yes you can. You should be able to get in the ballpark of 1 hp per cube by building your engine to need 91 octane (10:1 compression or there-abouts), but you will need to open the intake and exhaust ports to match some larger gaskets, and use long tube headers. There is obviously a lot more to it than that, but 350's have been making cheap HP for, well, ever! Your budget of $1500 might be a bit tight unless you have access to good affordable used parts, but it sounds like your on your way. The only things I would warn you about is that if you plan to modify the setup later...you need to mentally build two motors now so that you don't paint yourself in a corner, if you know what I mean.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:17 PM   #7
71c10longbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
Yes you can. You should be able to get in the ballpark of 1 hp per cube by building your engine to need 91 octane (10:1 compression or there-abouts), but you will need to open the intake and exhaust ports to match some larger gaskets, and use long tube headers. There is obviously a lot more to it than that, but 350's have been making cheap HP for, well, ever! Your budget of $1500 might be a bit tight unless you have access to good affordable used parts, but it sounds like your on your way. The only things I would warn you about is that if you plan to modify the setup later...you need to mentally build two motors now so that you don't paint yourself in a corner, if you know what I mean.
Thanks. Painting myself in a corner is definitely what I want to avoid.

Just a bit more information - I have a set of vortec heads/intake manifold/bolts/gaskets etc. that I had planned on using. But I decided to install these on my boat, as it needs the hp boost more than my truck.

So now I think I am going flat top pistons and with the parts I already have (intake, carb, cam, headers, distributor), I think for $1500 I should be able to get close to 300hp which is all I want. Then I can always upgrade heads/cam later if I want more....
Old 10-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #8
67 chevelle

get vortecs now , forget the rest
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote