The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2017, 06:05 PM   #1
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

19.5 wheels on older 1.5 ton trucks

I’d like to start a discussion on the newer wheel conversions on our old trucks.

I bought this 39 1.5 ton several years ago, not knowing what I was gonna do with it. But, I knew I needed some new wheels/tires if it was gonna stay on this frame and suspension.

I did hours of research about what wheels would fit, with not a lot of luck. On Stovebolt I did find a thread started by the forum expert on these swaps. Here:
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/wheels/

I sent the OP a PM and asked if he had pics of anyone with a running/driving truck that had done the swap. He said he would try to dig some up. That’s been about 6 months ago and none have been added as of today.
So, I’d like to share what I’ve found and ask anyone with knowledge to share any findings or suggestions, and maybe we can help out someone in the future.
So, onto what I’ve learned….

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi

Last edited by 63 & 64 Bowties; 02-20-2017 at 10:00 PM.
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:06 PM   #2
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Re: 19.5 wheels on older 1.5 ton trucks

I bought some nice 19.5 wheels and tires that were taken off a motorhome. These wheels are also common on bread trucks and older 3500 HD (only the HD’s had these)
The bolt patterns match, BUT there are other issues.
First off, it didn’t seem to me that the rear wheels were gonna fit over the backing plates. I was never able to get them on. Even if I did get them bolted down, they would be way too close. You wouldn’t think that going from a 20” to a 19.5” wouldn’t work. There’s only an addition ¼” difference in the clearances. I ended up using my plasma cutter to cut the outer lip off the backing plates. Success.
But, the next biggest problem: hub pilot wheels. Both the newer and older wheels were hub pilot.
*Disclaimer* these measurements are eyeballed and may not be exact.
Center holes:
Old: 4.75”
New: 5.25”
So, here’s the problem. You could fix the front wheels by beveling the stud holes and using lug pilot lug nuts, but what about the rears? That won’t work.
Also, the lug size differences. Lug hole bores:
Old: 19/32”
New: 21/32”
My truck was just too far gone in every respect for it to ever actually be on the road. I’m using my truck as “yard-art” It will be parked at the end of my driveway, and I’m planning on decorating it for Christmas, Halloween, etc. So, I’m happy with it like it is.
But, for someone who actually wants to put their truck on the road. What’s the solution?
My only thought, possibly using electric motor armature bushings to shim the lugs, making the wheels lug-pilot instead of hub-pilot?
Any ideas out there?

As a side note, this truck was 5-lug fronts, but I like the look of 10-lug better, so I welded 5 spare lug nuts onto each rim stiffener ring and added the stainless acorns.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi

Last edited by 63 & 64 Bowties; 02-18-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #3
paulspickupparts

Nice job. Going thru the same deal on a 41 GMC Coe that I have . Wish there was an easy way to find rims for these old girls. I am thinking about switching the whole axle out or to use a rear axle out out of 70's to 80's motorhome that I have. The axle ratio would be much better and it has rear disc brakes . It also uses rear rims like yours . Then when I get that far I think about setting the cab on the motor home frame. Where do you draw the line? The motor frame I have is independent but they also make solid I beam axles that also used a rim like yours.

Your can have your original rim centers mounted to a tubeless outer rim but very pricy $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I also ran across a set of rims like yours but 22.5 rims . I beleive they are hub piloted . I found them on a 65 Chevy 1 1/2 - 2 Ton Low Cab Forward. I grabbed them as I also have 62 low cab forward with splits. I will try to post a pic of them . They are very narrow and not sure what my tire selection will be .

Good luck with your truck . Looking great .
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:57 PM   #4
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Thanks Paul. Be sure to update us what you do.
I searched for probably half a day, one day when it was cold and raining, and I couldn't find any info on this swap. Just the Stovebolt link that I shared. Lots of specs on there, but no real solutions. I was just hoping someone would have the answers since there's so many of these old 1.5 tons out there in nice shape, but because of the wheels, they get passed over.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:03 AM   #5
Port&PolishMan

Chevy Bread type Trucks P30 & P35
I have these Spec's from those _ as Follows :

8-Hole, 6½" Bolt Circle, 4.56" Bore ( Vintage Chevy 4.75 Dia. ) Hub.

(3/4 , 1 Ton, Chevrolet or GMC Typical)

Wheel Size: 19.5 x 6.00 Inches

Hand Holes: 4

Wheel Offset: 5.00 Inches - might be a little off .

Disc: .296 Inches

Valve Hole Dia.: .625 Inches

Approx. Wt. (lbs) In Shipping box: 55

Maximum Load & Infl. (lbs) - (psi): 2540 – 80
Port&PolishMan is offline   Reply With Quote