The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
Tzenev

Z-Built 63' C10

Hello there guys, my names Trevor, new to the c10 world, and new to the forum. Never done a build thread on anything so hang with me.

At the first of the year I got my first c10. It's not much but I was pretty pumped. It's a 63' long bed, inline 6, 2 speed powerglide, power assist steering, power brakes. Not a bad truck but has some rust inside and out above the windshield, above the passenger door and the rockers. I'm not looking to build a show truck so it didn't really bother me.

My plans when I first got the truck was to shorten it, fix the rust, swap a v8 in it, and put it on air ride. I'll make a few more post to fast forward you guys to where I'm at with it today.
Attached Images

Tzenev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:45 PM   #2
Bomp

Re: Z-Built 63' C10

Sweet looking truck, is that an aluminum grille?
Kinda reminds me of my '66.
following along on this one.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:49 PM   #3
Tzenev

So my first order of business was to get it shortened. I was honestly pretty intimidated by it. I'm a 24 year old kid that's never done any sort of body work in my life. I've done some welding and fabricating so shortening the frame didn't have me worried at all. Luckily a friend of mine has done body work for ever and has shorted tons of trucks. I had him come over and he gave me about a 10 minute run down on how much to cut out and all that jazz. He left and I got to measuring and marking out where I needed to cut.

I started cutting before I got to thinking about it to much and got second thoughts. By the end of the weekend I had a short bed that actually looked good and I did it 100% myself. Here's a few pictures of that. I wish I would have took more.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2017, 08:50 PM   #4
KenAdams

Welcome, looking forward to it.
KenAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:51 PM   #5
Tzenev

A few more
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #6
Tzenev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Sweet looking truck, is that an aluminum grille?
Kinda reminds me of my '66.
following along on this one.
Yes it is! Thank you, I'm glad to be here and am having a blast building this thing. My first c10, and hot rod or whatever you want to call it. I used to race quads and have always been into stuff like that. Figured it's time to switch it up.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:05 PM   #7
Tzenev

Bed finished and on the truck. And also got the frame knocked out pretty fast.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2017, 09:13 PM   #8
Tzenev

I am currently working on the suspension. Always wanted to bag something so here we go. When it's aired out it will sit on the cross members for now. I'm running the stock rear trailing arms, with the mounts flipped to help with the pinion angle, also spaced them out and inch with so me rectangle tube so the tires do suck forward in the wheel wells when it's lowered down. Did a step notch and still have some boxing on the frame to do where I cut it, but have where my bags are mounted boxed in. I'm just waiting on a bushing in the mail for my watts link that I am going to use instead of a panhard bar. So that's currently where I'm at. Hopefully get the watts link in and shocks mooinged next weekend and then I can get started on the front.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2017, 09:20 PM   #9
Tzenev

I did cycle the suspension last night on the ground with the stock tires and it really gets me excited about it. Having the bags mounted where they are it airs up a lot higher than I thought it would which I am glad about. And looks killer aired out. Back of the bed was about 2" off the floor. I haven't put a lowering block in yet, it's just bottomed out on the trailing arms to the frame.

I did discover though that I'm probably not going to be able to run the steelies I wanted to run. They are a 15x8 but have a wide offset. I don't thik even if I trim the inside of my bedside out that with tires on I will be able to stuff them in the bed. So that is a bummer. Guess I'll just have to order some regular 15x7 or 15x8 with a normal offset to them.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2017, 09:26 PM   #10
Tzenev

As for future plans about a month or so ago I scored on a big back window cab, so I will salvage what I can off of it, especially the window panel to put in mine. I also have a 327 out of a I think a 63 nova and a turbo 350 tranny to replace the 6 cly and powerglide.
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2017, 04:30 PM   #11
SCOTI

Nice work so far. Tagging in for future updates....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote