The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2016, 11:38 AM   #1
Leadbelly

63' 1/2 ton 2WD SWB Body Lift

So, been through the 5 pages of threads on pro's and con's of a body lifts and I decided to do it. Looking for a slightly higher, more rugged stance to accommodate a 215/85 R16 tire wheel set. I have began posting progress photos of the project on my Flickr site (other mods as well).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dodson...57661999798034

So far, I have taken pictures, made some measurements, and made note of possible issues that will occur due to the lift - in other areas, i.e. steering angle, linkages, cables, fuel lines, bumpers, etc. (these all came from the thread research - thank you). I have purchased new mounting kits (cab and radiator). Managed to get a nice(!) piece of Delrin for nothing and began making the lift blocks and pucks. The Delrin being 2 5/8" is higher than the 2" I had originally planned on for the lift, but that can easily be trimmed down - and very well may, based on the huge difference I see in the new vs 53 year old original rubber on the truck. I could possibly see an inch with just that swap.
So on to longer bolts. Will post updates. There are plenty of lift threads so hopefully mine for a 63' 1/2 ton SWB will be of some interest. That, and, I am not purchasing a kit but building everything myself and promise not to leave you hanging on the final outcome.
Leadbelly

“Look at it as therapy, not transportation”
Leadbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:12 PM   #2
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Re: 63' 1/2 ton 2WD SWB Body Lift

Should be an interesting project, best of luck.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:50 PM   #3
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Looking forward to watching this build.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
hevymetl

Definitely interested in this. My cab needs new mounts, and while I like that slammed look, I'm more of a stock truck kind of guy. Keep us posted.
hevymetl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:42 PM   #5
Leadbelly

Only planned to get the body lift parts all together and remove a bed bolt for measurements/ordering. Things got out of hand and wound up with the bed lifted 2 5/8"! Cab and core next.
Couple of questions regarding possible rubber spacers. I do not see any in the lift kits on the internet but there were some for sale for my 46'.
Is the goal here to prevent metal to metal contact?
If so, the Delrin pucks up against the frame, body, and metal washers would not need anything, correct?
Pictures of today's events on the Flickr site.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dodson...57661999798034

Cavebull
Old 02-15-2016, 03:37 PM   #6
Leadbelly

What a weekend – No idea, nor my intention, to get so much done on my body lift. Everything is still loose and the core support blocks need to go in, but the cab’s mounts and lift blocks are holding everything up in place. Only the core support bolts/nuts had to be cut with die grinder, all the others wrenched off. In fairness I PB blasted them last week anticipating this.

Bed blocks are in and new stainless bolts ordered via Amazon, otherwise zinc could have been gotten at local hardware store with the other replacement bolts (longer lengths). Not sure if I like the channel the PO put in there and may remove it but body/bed lines will determine shimming needs.

No issues as far as fuel line, speedometer cable, and e-brake cable, and carburetor linkage!

Clutch rod needs 2 ˝ “added into it.

The steering column, shaft, and wheel, and rag joint connection differences are minimal (even regarding the steering wheel distances from the dash and at the seat). Could probably run with them as is (for sure if the lift was less than 2 5/8”), but I’m re-doing the shifting mechanism on the TOTT so will fit them as they lie in with not stress at all.

Forgot about the radiator mount! Imagine the surprise when I opened the hood and saw a 2 ˝” gap in the upper mounting bracket. Not a big deal, and would have been non-issue if the PO had left the stock 3 core in, as it mounts to frame, the larger 4 core for a 292 is wider and bolts to the core support, hence it raised with the core. Just a minor bracket modification.

Bumpers - rear will be easy as it bolts below the frame tails on brackets. When it comes up it will still hide the frame tails and cross member. The front – I will need to think it through a bit as it bolts directly to the front of the tails. Prefer not to cut frame tails.

Bottom line, 16 – 20 hours for 2 5/8” lift and new body mount rubber all around. This includes making my own body pucks from a block of Delrin. All minor tools, table saw, small drill press, single floor jack.

I do like the stance and ride height, can’t wait to get my 215/85 R16’s on her. Considering the things we do to these old trucks, a body lift is not a big deal, even with the few items I need to tidy up. Would be less of an issue if I’d gone for 2” but the Delrin was almost free, was 2 5/8” thick, and I was lazy.
The best thing is, no suspension geometry or ride comfort has been altered, no excessive shimming for alignment, etc.

Will update on the final minor fixes etc.

Leadbelly
Old 03-13-2016, 09:46 PM   #7
Leadbelly

Extended the clutch rod and got that all hooked back up - added a couple pictures on the Flickr lift site.
I went ahead and pulled the shift linkage off and ordered new bushings and such for it. Should have the rods lengthened before the new stuff gets here.
A couple of weeks ago I decided to put a collapsible steering column in, and remove the solid steering rod. Multiple reasons, safety, rag joint was in need of replacing, etc. The primary reason is it was stretched, workable, but on the edge. and did not like the idea of building shims under dash with e brake brackets etc. Ordered a 24" collapsible column (3/4" and 1"), and two u-joints from CPP. Will cut the 3/4" steering rod to length and grind it to 3/4 DD on top, and place a 3/4-36 spline joint directly on the steering gear. This should retain the original angels, tighten the steering a bit, give me some peace of mind.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dodson...662779313234/-
Man, she does look good with this lift, I cannot wait to find my 16's and get new rubber on it.
Leadbelly