The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2019, 12:33 PM   #1
DJStucker

New Gear Vendors Controller Wiring

Hi All,

I wanted to share that Gear Vendors has come out with a new overdrive controller that is made by MSD. This controller is smaller, and much more robust than the previous one. Additionally it is specifically designed to stand up to electrical noise typically generated by newer alternators and high discharge ignition systems. I wanted to share this because it is not well known, and I had a bunch of issues with the old controller and noise. Additionally when they sent me the new controller this last Friday (around 280 bucks to upgrade) they forgot to include the wiring diagram. I had to wait until Monday to call them and have them email it to me. There was zero information on the controller on the internet; both Gear Vendors website and MSD’s. To save anyone else the trouble, I have included the wiring diagrams for MSD part number 2790GV so anyone in the future can find them.

Cheers,

Danny
Attached Images

DJStucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:08 AM   #2
Sheepdip

Re: New Gear Vendors Controller Wiring

Interesting, let us know the results.

I have 2 GV's OD's 1 in my 49 GMC and 1 in my 70 GMC, I power them both directly from the battery (acts as a huge capacitor) with a power delay relay for triggering them. That solves 2 known glitches with these things, RFI and low voltage.
Both are working flawlessly.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:24 AM   #3
DJStucker

I finally installed the new unit last night, but I have not had a chance to drive it yet. Of course it’s a completely different wiring harness, so I had to do some surgery to replace it. GV originally suggested I do exactly what you have done, but I really do like the automatic features the controller offers. Apparently enough folks complained, so they partnered up with MSD. When I spoke to GV, the issues they had reported to them were very centric to people who run MSD ignition boxes. Obviously not surprising because of the frequencies it generates, but that’s typically easy to filter out in modern electronics. I don’t think GV has changed their controller in 30 years.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #4
mjervis

Hi, just wondering where you ran the power for the box to on your fuse box, mine says to run it to a fuse that is on during auxiliary but off during crank.
mjervis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:19 AM   #5
DJStucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjervis View Post
Hi, just wondering where you ran the power for the box to on your fuse box, mine says to run it to a fuse that is on during auxiliary but off during crank.
Hi there,
I actually have an aux fuse panel that's only hot in the ON position for accessories that I added some time back. So I just used one of those circuits. My aux panel is on during cranking as well though, so I don't think it makes any difference personally. Been working great for while now; for however long ago I posted this. You could probably just add an inline fuse from the ignition ON power.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:47 AM   #6
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
Interesting, let us know the results.

I have 2 GV's OD's 1 in my 49 GMC and 1 in my 70 GMC, I power them both directly from the battery (acts as a huge capacitor) with a power delay relay for triggering them. That solves 2 known glitches with these things, RFI and low voltage.
Both are working flawlessly.
Would you be able to show me what you used and how you hooked it up by chance. I am good with electrical as long as I am working on a established system. I was hoping to get more explanation on what relay you used and exactly how you wired it up. I currently have tied my power wire to the extra fuse location I have in my truck like the directions called for. However, that is also the source for the red wire on my distributor. I would like to use your set up if I can get you to explain to me the way it is set up! Thanks for sharing that!
Old 02-14-2022, 11:50 AM   #7
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjervis View Post
I took a electric probe and tested the fuse with the key off and the in ACC and then in start. It ended up being the "IGN" fuse location on my fuse box. If you read below on one of the comments there is a guy that hooked is up directly to the battery with a delayed fuse. If I can get him to explain to me how he wired it up I will rewire mine. Not that there is anything wrong with where it is at now, I would just much rather have the power strait from the batter if I could. Hope this helps!
Old 02-14-2022, 11:56 AM   #8
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJStucker View Post
I finally installed the new unit last night, but I have not had a chance to drive it yet. Of course it’s a completely different wiring harness, so I had to do some surgery to replace it. GV originally suggested I do exactly what you have done, but I really do like the automatic features the controller offers. Apparently enough folks complained, so they partnered up with MSD. When I spoke to GV, the issues they had reported to them were very centric to people who run MSD ignition boxes. Obviously not surprising because of the frequencies it generates, but that’s typically easy to filter out in modern electronics. I don’t think GV has changed their controller in 30 years.
Yeah I really wasn't to keen on not having the auto feature. I understand why they advised I disconnect it, but I made a label and put it on my dash that says don't use over drive in 4x4. I think I can manage to turn it off in the winter when I am not using it! Let me know how you like yours. I am excited to get mine on the road after I put my new seats in.
Old 02-14-2022, 10:45 PM   #9
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by conoco View Post
Yeah I really wasn't to keen on not having the auto feature. I understand why they advised I disconnect it, but I made a label and put it on my dash that says don't use over drive in 4x4. I think I can manage to turn it off in the winter when I am not using it! Let me know how you like yours. I am excited to get mine on the road after I put my new seats in.
I've been driving my K20 the last couple of days without the 4wd auto lockout. When I get time, I may put a switch on it, but for now I'll depend on common sense.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 12:39 AM   #10
Sheepdip

Quote:
Would you be able to show me what you used and how you hooked it up by chance. I am good with electrical as long as I am working on a established system. I was hoping to get more explanation on what relay you used and exactly how you wired it up. I currently have tied my power wire to the extra fuse location I have in my truck like the directions called for. However, that is also the source for the red wire on my distributor. I would like to use your set up if I can get you to explain to me the way it is set up! Thanks for sharing that!
I'll give it the old college try.

The delay relay is a Hella Brand.
Here's the wiring diagram also for it.

Your main power feed to the controller should be a fused 12ga wire directly from the battery going to connection 30. The 12 volt power feed to the controller will then come from connection 87...(87A is not used in this application).
Your keyed 12 volt from the ignition switch goes to connection 15
Connection 31 goes to a good ground

The timer on the relay is adjustable, mine are set at approx. 45 seconds after starting the vehicle the GV controller then powers up.

Hope I was of help.
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2022, 01:25 PM   #11
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
I'll give it the old college try.

The delay relay is a Hella Brand.
Here's the wiring diagram also for it.

Your main power feed to the controller should be a fused 12ga wire directly from the battery going to connection 30. The 12 volt power feed to the controller will then come from connection 87...(87A is not used in this application).
Your keyed 12 volt from the ignition switch goes to connection 15
Connection 31 goes to a good ground

The timer on the relay is adjustable, mine are set at approx. 45 seconds after starting the vehicle the GV controller then powers up.

Hope I was of help.
Your awesome! I just bought one and will get started on it when I get home! Much appreciated. Electrical is the one thing I just can get a good grasp on. I can tig weld body panels, rebuild motors but cant figure out a time delayed relay Thanks for the help and the diagram.
Old 02-15-2022, 11:52 PM   #12
Sheepdip

Quote:
Your awesome! I just bought one and will get started on it when I get home! Much appreciated. Electrical is the one thing I just can get a good grasp on. I can tig weld body panels, rebuild motors but cant figure out a time delayed relay Thanks for the help and the diagram.
Glad to be of help!