The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2019, 11:00 AM   #26
fecklessgadfly

Re: intolerant late models

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
I drove truck for a lot of years and actually enjoyed it. Other drivers - cars and trucks - seemed to be much more courteous, patient, and aware of what was going on around them, but things have changed. All of these new "Safety Devices" built into the new cars are dumbing down drivers to where they're relying way to much on the vehicle to think for them. These things work great - until they don't, and at that point the car/truck is going to need a quick-thinking driver. Imagine that! A vehicle with an actual thinking driver!

I've seen the general mood of the highway change too and I blame the "me first" cynicism on our being bombarded by the "Us and Them" syndrome that seems to have recently seeped into every facet of our lives. I'm guilty of this as well and have to stop and think - is that old lady driving so slow to protect a cake she baked for her women's group meeting? Is the old man lost and looking for something familiar? The Millennial speeding, is his wife in the back seat in labor? What if their child's dog just got hit and they're rushing it to the vet.

I get impatient with people on the phone, lingering at a stop light, doing stupid things behind the wheel, but am consciously trying to not get so spun up and get my blood pressure up because of someone else's inattention. In the grand scheme of things is it worth the anger to save 15 seconds? 30 seconds?

I wish I could buy more patience. I need a lot of it these days, but I'm trying, I really am.
Posts like this make me wish this forum had a "like" button.

I try to take this same attitude. I often fail, but I try.

When I first started driving I had an '88 Dakota with a broken AC, teeth missing on the flywheel, no horn, and a slight fuel system issue. That truck taught me an awful lot about patience, not nearly enough though.

2014 GMC Terrain I4 (wife's new ride)
2005 Dodge Magnum 3.5 (wife's old ride)
2003 GMC Sierra 5.3 Extended Cab
1972 Chevy Cheyenne 350
fecklessgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote