The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2019, 06:24 PM   #1
jfnar

10SI alternator battery drain

My battery started dying when the truck sat for a couple days. I started looking for a short and found that the #2 terminal was drawing current when not running. A test light will come on when I disconnect that wire and put the light between the wire and terminal. I had another alternator in my junk collection so I swapped it out and it's doing the same. Is there something other than the alternator that could be causing this? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff
jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #2
vince1

Re: 10SI alternator battery drain

Your problem is of interest to me as well. It takes more than a month for my battery to run down so if not in use I usually take the ground cable off. I always thought that maybe it was the new radio I put in that is drawing current and some day maybe I'll have time to figure it out. Hopefully someone will have an answer for you.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:46 AM   #3
vince1

What about if you disconnect the alternator wires and put your test light between your battery terminal and cable?
Old 04-25-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
jfnar

Still lights up if everything else is disconnected. I took it to a napa store and they told me it probably has a bad diode so I traded in on one of their reman alternators. Checked it when I got home and it does the same thing. Maybe it's supposed to do that. I don't know how much amperage any of them are leaking; test light only tells yes or no. Hopefully the new one won't kill the battery. Time will tell.
jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
vince1

I have the CS130 in my 64 AMC Rambler and it can sit for months without draining the battery.

I have the 10si in my truck and will try disconnecting it to help isolate the draw. If it is the 10si, I have a junkyard spare CS130 to use.