The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2019, 08:18 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Do you like to cook?

Man I hate to cook. I cook perfectly fine, I just hate doing it. I don't like shopping for food, I don't like planning meals, I hate the prep, and I hate the clean up.

Im perfectly fine with eating at fast food or fancy places. Over the last thirty years Ive eaten at all the very best places in the greater Seattle area. Oh I didn't pay, it was a thing the company I worked for did for Christmas. Very small company, eight people of us at a table at the most. So it wasn't some weird banquet pic your entre kind of thing. It was have whatever you wanted, as much as you wanted, price wasn't a thing. But I didn't appreciate the food, as in, it was good, but I like KFC too lol.

Same with BBQ. I like BBQ, but I don't like to cook BBQ. Maybe Im just lazy lol.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
Boog
laying low

Re: Do you like to cook?

No. But my how I do love to consume.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:02 PM   #3
Indian113

My wife and I make a great couple, I love to cook and BBQ plus I do a pretty good job at Smoking Meat. But I really hate the clean up part of it. She would rather clean up my mess than clean up after I clean up.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:33 PM   #4
powerdriver

I can Cook but really , It's the wrong kinda grease for Me
powerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:50 PM   #5
sunnstone

I can cook but mostly fried stuff.
sunnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:31 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Depends on what it is. The only real food I cook is Chili. and I help the wife make the Cajun Meat Loaf. I like to make the sweet stuff. I make chocolate chip cookies, Buttermilk cookies, Chocolate waffle cookies, Chocolate no-bake cookies, Pancakes, Waffles, Chocolate fudge, Peanut butter fudge, Salted nut rolls, Chocolate cake from scratch, homemade Ice Cream, Kettle corn, Kahlua, and some other stuff.

Here are some of my favorite recipes:

http://members.zumatel.net/leon429/recipes.html

This is part of my personal web site with no ads or pop-ups. Be sure and try the Cajun Meat Loaf recipe. It's yummy......

Oh, and I clean up as I make the stuff, It's easier that way.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:35 PM   #7
Warrens69GMC

Was a short order cook for 20 years (think Denny's). I don't cook much at home now, lol.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:42 PM   #8
Red71gmc

I like to cook but hate the clean up. So much so, I have been on a mission to figure out entire meals that dirty only one pan (that's lazy!).
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:49 PM   #9
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

No. I like to have food to eat, though. I'm retired and my wife still works. So, I have to make some meals (dinner). They are simple fare, braised chicken and some vegetables. I might make some sort of potato dish (baked) once in awhile, but if the wife wants rice, she's going to have to make it. I'll be roasting some Cornish game hens tomorrow, but that is just like braising chicken on the stove- put it in the oven at the right temperature and come back later to pull it out and eat it. When I was single, the only spices I had in the cupboard were salt and pepper, which I don't actually use all that much of, anyway. You wouldn't believe the spices we have in the cupboard, now, which is kind of a joke, since my wife doesn't cook much these days. One of my sons loves to smoke meat, so sometimes we have some smoked meat for dinner. I don't like the labor involved with smoking, especially with coals. My FiL grilled meat all the time, and my wife expects it from me, but I ain't her daddy, and I don't grill a whole lot. I don't much care for any fast food. When I was on business travel, I'd just buy bags of salad at WalMart and get some meat protein to go with it, like tuna. Of course, I ate out for lunch in those days, and gained a bunch of weight, which I got rid of when I went back home.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:52 PM   #10
weq92f

Totally with you on this, do not want to cook but can. After some 15+ years of hanging with me, my (now) wife has finally figured out that I know how to cook! We have a deal that works out well -- one of us cooks the other cleans.

So now-a-days I get to pick my poison, which really isn't too bad I guess. Most days she is the cook and I am the clean up dog. This I admit!

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:10 PM   #11
joeydurango

I'm with Leon. I like baking stuff. Breads, cookies, muffins, pizza dough, you name it.

I can cook other stuff and often do, but my wife likes cooking dinner stuff more than I do, so I end up doing a whole mess of dishes. It's a good system... otherwise we'd eat a lot of tasty baked treats and little else.

(Speaking of making a mess - I've never met anyone else who can create so many dishes for one meal. She leaves for a week and I eat just fine and need to do dishes twice. Then she comes home and it's necessary dishes after dinner, dishes after breakfast, dishes after lunch...)
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:57 PM   #12
'63GENIII

My wife can't stand it when i cook.

See, before I got in the trades, I had 3 jobs to make ends meet. Worked in a Chicago Style pizza joint that served BBQ, then I would head up to the City and work as a baker - cookies, pies, quiches that we delivered all over the place and after that would sometimes work for a lady that catered.

So now when I cook, its a production.... like I'm cooking for 20 people. It drives her nuts. I make a mess and act like there should be a dishwasher following me around like I'm some sort of Iron Chef guy or something .

She does like when I BBQ or run the wood smoker. I think because it gets me out of her kitchen . I like smoking food whenever I can. Its like camping in that I can start drinking beer before noon and not catch any heat for it! The food is great as well.

To answer the question, yes I like to cook but it doesn't generally earn me any points with the Mrs.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:59 PM   #13
flashed

I like to eat and since my wife died I have to cook . Actually I have always cooked but its hard to cook for one . I plan on trying that Cajun Meat Loaf .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:40 AM   #14
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I like to eat and since my wife died I have to cook . Actually I have always cooked but its hard to cook for one . I plan on trying that Cajun Meat Loaf .

Make sure you have company over. It makes a big one....

(or take some to friends)

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:07 AM   #15
Warrens69GMC

Yep, totally with you. Why make potato salad for 2 when you have the recipe in your head for 20!!
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:40 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

I accept the fact that if I want to eat healthy, tasty food custom tailored to my tastes in the most economic way I have to cook it. Love it? Not particularly. Like it? Yes, and I love the results even better and that right there defines life. Do I like food shopping? Everything except paying for it. But I enjoy quick-chat with the clerks very much. I'm very social and I've struck up many a quick conversation with those working at the counters, stocking, checking my order out, as well as other customers. Whatever fits the situation well. I've considered doing some sort of food vending at events since long before the food truck craze. And you better believe the emphasis, while being the best darn food you've had, would be on the "truck". More like hot food from a hot rod food truck

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:21 AM   #17
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I like to cook. And I'm a pretty darned good at it. But I'm the slowest cook in the world, because I make everything from scratch, and that takes time. If you want some really good chow, I'm your guy. Just plan on eating it late.

My wife is a great cook. So between the two of us we can crank out some really good stuff. They have a lot of potluck's at her work and we always get request's. Mostly for my salsa. It's hot, but it's good.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

Me too. I use fresh ingredients. The only prepared food I use are condiments, some rice mixes like Goya or Zataran's, specialty canned beans, and frozen peaches in my oatmeal everyday. I use fresh vegetables and fruit otherwise.

Last Saturday a bunch of us got together, as we do every winter, to make about 300# of sausage. We do an Italian sausage with the vegetables ground in. I want to use the pound I have in the fridge tonight in spaghetti. While I was doing other domestic chores I crumbled it up in a pan with Italian seasoning, oregano, shopped garlic, onions, mushrooms, and red bell pepper and cooked it up to be good to go tonight when I get home. I decided to dump the sauce in the container with it to let the flavoring commence and tossed a couple bay leaves in as well. Tonight I'll just do up the pasta, heat the sauce, and make up some salad while I'm waiting. I try to never have a boring supper. Tomorrow night is easy-peasy Rueben sammiches. Num yummy in 15 minutes! Gone in 2 to 3 . Last night was chicken thighs I did with a golden creole bbq sauce slow cooked on the offset grille I made up on Sunday afternoon while waiting on a firnd from out of town to show up. I did some kale up real low and slow, too, with my special seasoning served with Texas Pete vinegar with peppers in it and also did a can of Heinz Bourbon & Honey (I think) beans. All that took about 10 minutes to heat and get on the plate when I got home.

One of my favorite things is using the crock pot. I'll let something cook all day to be ready when I get home. But I'll also do beef or chicken in broth to shred up and freeze to be prepared in a future meal like enchiladas, burritos, whatever. It's nice to not have to cut the meat up when I get home plus I like the shredded meat better. I also think it's better on your digestive system.

Yep, I love eatin' so gotta like the cookin'. The group of us at Spring Carlisle are some cookin' fools. Always something cookin' on the tailgate... or now in the smoker a newer guy brings. Also, on Friday night there is a bunch of old schoolers who do up bean soup, and maybe something else, for a little gathering I've attended long as I can remember. The one guy has a catering business and has the huge soup pot. We just drop a donation in the pickle jar (w/no pickles). I'm glad he likes to cook so I can take a break. I seldom eat out. Too expensive! I can't see paying what I can buy a week's groceries for on one meal (such as a date). I bring them over and cook for them. Turns them on!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #19
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Grilling anything...smoking anything....frying anything...breakfast....that's the cooking I like to do...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:02 AM   #20
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I really enjoy it, especially when it comes out as good as I hoped it would, but absolutely despise the clean up part.

A couple years ago my wife and I pretty much stopped eating out. Literally the only fast food places on our list to go to are Chick Fila and Zaxbys. We usually do one date night a weekend somewhere, but for the most part it's dinners at home every night. I might pick up BBQ or a firehouse sub during the week, but we're talking 2-3 times a month.

Probably the best thing I make is a homemade chili. Anytime I bring it somewhere or have people over the whole giant pot winds up gone.

Breakfast is my FAVORITE thing to eat and cook. Bacon, sausage, eggs over medium, all different kinds of omelettes, toast.... mmmmmmmmm...
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 03-12-2019 at 11:25 AM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:02 AM   #21
Chris4x4Gill2

I like to grill, and bbq/smoke. I will cook in the kitchen, but its more something I have to do to feed us than somethign I want or like to do
Old 03-12-2019, 11:19 AM   #22
Sheepdip

Boy do I and eat it too!

My best dishes according to others is my Traeger smoked Tri-Tip, my Portagee Beans and my Biscuits and Gravy. Yum Yum even if I did cook em!
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #23
rgunlock

I grilled or ran the fryers in a steak house to pay for a couple years of my college. Now I grill, smoke or deep fry both nights of the weekend, about 50 weekends a year. I love winding up my day kicked back with a beer and tending the grill. My wife makes dinners all during the week when I work, often using the leftovers from my grill.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:32 PM   #24
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

My biggest problem is that I try to use up what I have. I just throw in what's on hand. Then I'm asked to do it again and I don't remember what I put in. I don't really measure anything or write it down. I just season to taste and call it done. It ticks my wife off because she'll ask me to make something again that she really liked and I have no clue how I did it.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:56 PM   #25
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I love to cook, since I don't work and my girlfriend does I cook most of the time. Tonight I made Italian Beef. Gonna have good sammichs tonight.......
Attached Images

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by Ol Blue K20; 03-12-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote