The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
Brute

Strong gas smell

I get a fairly strong smell of fuel in the cab after I've driven my 67 c10.

I asked the Vintage Air mechanic about it. He says the vents for the gas tank could be plugged up....I've never heard of vents the gas tank. When I fuel up the tank has (typically) pressure built up and gets released when I take the cap off.

Are there actually vents that release pressure and fumes from the gas tank?
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:46 PM   #2
REDROCKER652002

Re: Strong gas smell

I will only speak for my son's 69, but I never say any vents. Do you have the gasket thingie (technical talk I know) around the filler neck where it come into the cab? Also, check your gasket and O ring that seals the sending unit on the tank. Check the tube connections coming out of the tank as well. Could you be running rich and the smell is coming in from the engine compartment? Is the gasket on the cap itself good? If the cap is loose that could be it too. OK, Thanks all I got. LOL. Will wait for the experts here to chime in.
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:30 PM   #3
gmc684x4

Pull your seat as well check and replace fuel hoses can be cracked or pin holed as well
And our behind the seat tanks are non vented at the sending unit
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:34 PM   #4
ryanv70c10

All gasoline tanks are vented. It allows the tank pressure to equalize. When you are driving and pulling fuel from the tank if the vent were plugged then the tank would go into a vacuum and either starve the motor or collapse in on itself. On a hot day, the fuel will expand and the vent allows the pressure out. Whenever you remove the cap you are most likely hearing the air runsh in, not out and if this is the case then your vent is plugged. My 70 has a vent line that used to go to the EEC canister but it is now just dumping pressure as I have removed the canister. I never smell gas. All 67-69 trucks should have a non vented tank WITH a vented cap, sounds like you have a non vented cap on there. Check it out and put the correct cap on.
ryanv70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:16 PM   #5
Brute

Thanks all....

I’ll start with the easiest and replace the cap. I know the one on it is not vented.

The pressure is definitely coming out because I feel the air on my hand and usually a small mist of gas spray as well. If that doesn’t work I’ll pull the seats and dig in. I’m going to change the buckets for a bench anyway...two birds one stone.

Appreciate it.
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote