The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
cdub2010

wiper motor and switch swap

So I have a frankenstein truck made up of '77 cab and frame, tbi motor and 700r4 trans from a '87 jimmy and a complete wiring harness swap from a '90 suburban. I have everything working but my wiper motor. I removed the wiper stalk from the '87 column and want to use the dash switch for control of the wipers.

Is it possible to use the old 77 switch with the newer wiring?

Can I swap in a newer wiper motor? will it bolt in?

Should I just replace the column and get a newer one with controls on stalk?
cdub2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: wiper motor and switch swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdub2010 View Post
Is it possible to use the old 77 switch with the newer wiring?
No, the switch, wiring, and motor all have to match.

The 73-77 motors will only work with wiring & switches from that year range. Similarly, the 78+ motors will only work with wiring and switches from that year range.

Quote:
Can I swap in a newer wiper motor? will it bolt in?
Yes, I believe you can bolt a newer wiper motor to your 77 cab. I don't think the mounting pattern changed.

Quote:
Should I just replace the column and get a newer one with controls on stalk?
That would probably be the easiest way to make everything a direct plug-in with your 90 wiring harness. Although I think you could still use a 78-83 dash mounted wiper switch without major changes to the wiring if you want to keep it on the dash.

I believe GM also changed to an electric washer pump mounted to the reservoir sometime in the mid 80's. The under-hood portion of your 90 harness will be setup for that style of motor & pump ... which is a better design than the mechanical washer pump that was mounted on the wiper motor.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:38 PM   #3
cdub2010

The 90 wiper motor bolts up but it binds the linkage when moving by hand, no good.

So I have a 78+ wiper motor, it hooks up to my 90 harness but there are two leads on the wiper motor that I dont have wires for. Any clues what attaches on the picture?

I have a 78-83 switch for the dash its pretty straight forward just need a wiring connector end from a junkyard switch to test if it works. Any one have a switch connector from a 78-83 parts truck?
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
gmachinz
Account Suspended

If you want to go with a factory style delay/pulse setup I have a few sets of these left and I can supply the correct underdash leads you'd need too. This is all bolt up plug n play stuff here-no guessing.
Attached Images

gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Quote:
The 90 wiper motor bolts up but it binds the linkage when moving by hand, no good.

So I have a 78+ wiper motor, it hooks up to my 90 harness but there are two leads on the wiper motor that I dont have wires for. Any clues what attaches on the picture?

I have a 78-83 switch for the dash its pretty straight forward just need a wiring connector end from a junkyard switch to test if it works. Any one have a switch connector from a 78-83 parts truck?
The circled part are the internal washer pump motor leads. You need to retain it to use the pulse/delay feature. You have the correct motor for my pulse/delay setup for your 1977. You will need to enlarge the stock opening in the metal dash slightly to fit the newer style dash wiper switch tho-but that's not a big deal.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #6
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
I assume you are using the linkage that goes with the 77 cab, correct?

What are you using for a crank arm to connect the motor to that linkage ... the one that was on the 90 motor?

I'm thinking you might have to source a crank arm from a 78, 79, or 80 truck. Those 3 years used the newer style motor along with the linkage that has the short shafts to keep the wiper arms below the back edge of the hood. I don't know for sure, but the crank arms used with the 81+ wiper linkage might be different in terms of length and/or how they're clocked in relation to the motor shaft. And that could be a potential cause of the linkage binding.

Quote:
As gmachinz said, that circled connection is for the onboard washer pump. And as I mentioned in my earlier reply, GM quit using those onboard pumps and changed over to a reservoir mounted electric pump in the mid 80's. That's why your 90 harness doesn't have a plug to fit that connection. Instead, the 90 harness should have a connector located near the washer fluid reservoir.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #7
cdub2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
I assume you are using the linkage that goes with the 77 cab, correct?

What are you using for a crank arm to connect the motor to that linkage ... the one that was on the 90 motor?

I'm thinking you might have to source a crank arm from a 78, 79, or 80 truck. Those 3 years used the newer style motor along with the linkage that has the short shafts to keep the wiper arms below the back edge of the hood. I don't know for sure, but the crank arms used with the 81+ wiper linkage might be different in terms of length and/or how they're clocked in relation to the motor shaft. And that could be a potential cause of the linkage binding.
yes, linkage for wipers is original 77, the crank arm was off the 77 the 90 crank arm was 180 degrees off plus the pivot ball was too big. The 78 motor fits great do I need a crank arm from the 78-80 years.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #8
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Yes you need a 78-83 crank arm.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #9
chuckii

Id like to get one of these kits for my 73
chuckii is offline   Reply With Quote