The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
85square

Bad ground?

Before i put my truck away for the winter i was having some issues that seems like a bad ground to me and want to fix it when the nice weather comes around. I've read some threads with similar issues but figured i would confirm that my issues were a bad ground. When i use my left blinker, the light stays solid and does not blink. When i turn my high beams on, one low beam goes out and the high beam diagonally across comes on. And most recently, when i go to start my truck the starter will engage off and on or won't engage at all. I have a fairly new battery in it and have had it tested so i know its good.

My question is, do you guys think this is a ground issue? If so where should i start to fix the problem? Is there a list of ground wire locations that i can clean? I hate electrical.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
85square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:33 PM   #2
Tetanus Express

Re: Bad ground?

What's some history on the truck? Have you had it painted or took apart before this started happening?
Tetanus Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:38 PM   #3
85square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetanus Express View Post
What's some history on the truck? Have you had it painted or took apart before this started happening?
Nope. It sits during the winter because of the salt they put on the roads in NY.
i didn't drive it as much as i wanted to this past summer. It sat for maybe a month when i ran into these issues. They didn't all start at once either. First was the issue with the lights. Then the starting issue.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:12 PM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

Bad grounds or corroded connectors. Get a can of cleaner, and die-electric grease.

Also check the foot operated high beam switch. It can mess with a bunch of stuff.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:20 PM   #5
85square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
Bad grounds or corroded connectors. Get a can of cleaner, and die-electric grease.

Also check the foot operated high beam switch. It can mess with a bunch of stuff.
Before i put it away for the winter i took a fine file to the two grounds attached to the core support but this didn't seem to really help. I will do it again and look for any other ground wires i can find.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:18 PM   #6
Dead Parrot

Yes, bad grounds can cause all sorts of weird stuff.

Grounds vary by year. On my 75, the main ground from the battery goes to the alternator bracket. There is a cable that goes from the passenger side valve cover to the cab, this often gets lost. I think later years added a ground from the battery to either/or/and a fender and the core support.

If your battery cables are old, it is possible the inside wires are rotted out even if the outside insulation looks good.

Intermittent starter can be brushes near end of life.

Search up the pinout for your headlight connectors. Trace the ground to verify a good connection.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:53 PM   #7
Tetanus Express

Now that I've read your original post again the starting issue sounds like it may be a starter issue. Maybe the solenoid is where I might start checking out first if all battery cables are in great shape and the battery is in good charging condition. As for the lights maybe take the light connectors off and see if they are corroded or they don't have a good tight fit when connected to the lights? Sometimes the connectors loose the ability to stay connected well enough to make for a good solid connection.

As for the comments from Zieg and Parrot they are both possibilities as already mentioned that wiring issues or ground issues can be frustrating. Hope these help.
Tetanus Express is offline   Reply With Quote