The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
randy500
Account Suspended

Repro side moldings (AMD) - review

So I bought a full set of upper and lower side moldings from Summit, which was the cheapest I could find, the brand is AMD and the lowers have woodgrain.
It was drop shipped from AMD.
I finally opened up the box, they look real nice. Each molding is sealed in a clear plastic bag which is marked "Corvex Moldings"
I compared one piece, the short bed behind the rear wheel piece to NOS and in my opinion the corvex molding is just as good as NOS, the molding is almost exact replica and its shinier than NOS.
I didn't check the rest of them but will be installing them in a month or so and will post more then about the uppers and the clips.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
OL SKOOL

Re: Repro side moldings (AMD) - review

Good to know how it all fits. I want to order the paint divider chrome trim after market.But with all the negative on doors, fenders,etc.I've been waiting to hear some good. Will be watching for your answer.
OL SKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #3
leddzepp

The differences I've seen between NOS and repro moldings is minimal and not worth the cost difference between the two in my opinion

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
dfwright

I can say definitively that Mar-K's mouldings are top notch, and will heartily recommend them. I have both the top trim, and the lower wood grain from Mar-K on mine.

I look forward to seeing your full report on these as you go. I think there are some others here who have used the AMD mouldings and have said they are very nice.

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:05 PM   #5
davepl

I have all Mar-K (except the round corner pieces which he doesn't offer) and they're quite good. The only knock against them is the crispness of the black paint in the inserts, I had to clean that up by hand a little.

I'd be interested to see if someone has a way to compare these, but someone would need to have both in hand to do it...
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:11 PM   #6
leddzepp

Member turpmcspray posted all of them side by side years ago, including mar-k, nos, counterpart, etc. they were nearly the same all the way around.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #7
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Member turpmcspray posted all of them side by side years ago, including mar-k, nos, counterpart, etc. they were nearly the same all the way around.
I found that post and looked at it before I ordered my moldings, now I completely believe it. I would like to order a couple Mark-k moldings to compare to these but their shipping is outrageous.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #8
dfwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
I found that post and looked at it before I ordered my moldings, now I completely believe it. I would like to order a couple Mark-k moldings to compare to these but their shipping is outrageous.
Mar-K does have high shipping costs, but they do it right. They mount the parts on a 1x4 board, padded and placed inside a heavy-duty tube or box. I was very happy to see that it would have taken a truck literally driving over it to have done any damage to the trim when they shipped it.

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 01:24 PM   #9
HeavyHauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
I will have to try and find that thread and take a look at the comparison between the trim. I have not been very successful in finding old specific threads.
HeavyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:22 PM   #10
tinman_local2

I used AMD, Dynacorn, whatever they go by now. I was very impressed with the quality. Their clips have a bit to be desired. I used a combination of old ones I had and some of the ones they sent with each piece. I'm not a fan of the two sided tape style on the lowers. All the clips I used were metal, whether new or old. Hope this hepls.
tinman_local2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 08:28 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHauler View Post
I will have to try and find that thread and take a look at the comparison between the trim. I have not been very successful in finding old specific threads.
Try finding Turp McSpray in the members list at the top of the page. There are a lot of names, so be prepared. Once you find his name, click on it to get to his profile. Then you can click to see all stats and you can find threads he started

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote