The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2017, 02:21 PM   #1
flyingdet444

Advice needed.

I would like to know how much base coat paint it should take to do all the parts (small and large) of my 1949 5 window?. Thank you in advance.
flyingdet444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #2
Donaldo

Re: Advice needed.

Depends on the required reduction. I used 2 gal. w/ 1 gal reducer, got the exterior done with some left over for touch up. But it may depend on the products.

http://www.donsbirds.com/pick-up
Donaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #3
Foot Stomper

This question can only be answered by the guys selling you the paint. They will, by their software and product knowledge, know how much you'll need. Color and brand of paint will be different for all paint companies when it ocmes to coverage amongst other things.

What is very important to understand in my honest (professional paint) opinion is there is no such thing as cheap paint. The less you pay per gallon or quart, the more paint you will have to buy, struggles to overcome challenges like coverage, color match, multiple reducers, activators combined with ease of use, repair to blemishes and ability to buff.

Go to your nearest paint store and show them a picture of your truck and have a discussion with them about your project. They are the ones you can rely on for support and future questions as you will need them until it's done. If they seem unlikely to help with your first questions, walk out the door and go to the next store.

It won't matter which paint brand you buy, nobody else can tell which one was used. However, it will matter on how the finished job looks and you will only benefit from getting to know your local guys and having them help you to a successful finish. They will also be able to better support your shopping decisions when it comes to spray equipment, filler and other body shop repair materials you'll end up needing.

Post us some pictures... we all like pictures!

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:29 AM   #4
Donaldo

The question was asked " how much", I responded with how much base coat it took to do my '51 exterior, I used Glasurit 55 line, with the proper reducer, it made 3 gallons. I have plenty left to do any touch ups. Most paint retailers only sell you how much you ask for.

http://www.donsbirds.com/pick-up
Donaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:13 PM   #5
mr48chev

Depends on the color, what is under it and the guy spraying the paint himself.

If you are shooting over a primer that the paint will cover easily it might take less paint if you are shooting over old spot primed paint with a light color it may take more paint.

If you let my buddy who painted my truck in 1973 paint it you have to go to the paint store and buy another gallon as he put way too much paint on one side of it and ran out. That's no joke, that fender still has thick paint on it of that color under everything else that went on since.

On the other hand I have watched guys who did paint work for used car lots paint one with less than two quarts of paint and have it look great.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:32 PM   #6
flyingdet444

Angry Re: Advice needed.

Thank You Mr48chevy and Donaldo for answering the question that I asked. I know how much ($$$$) the paint will cost. I am retired so I might have to get a job to afford the paint, LOL.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:24 PM   #7
Foot Stomper

Line I said...(as a career paint guy...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
This question can only be answered by the guys selling you the paint. They will, by their software and product knowledge, know how much you'll need. Color and brand of paint will be different for all paint companies when it comes to coverage amongst other things.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:36 PM   #8
flyingdet444

Foot Stomper, Do not think I did not appreciate your advice, but the town I live in has two paint stores. The sales people are used to the painter coming in and tell them how much they need. For me to take in a picture and ask them how much paint is needed to paint this old truck, they would only guess and I can do that. So I thought the best way to get an idea of the quantity of paint I need was to ask the ones who has don it.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:47 AM   #9
Foot Stomper

No Problem flyingdet444. I post my recommendations trying to keep in mind anyone reading the thread in an attempt to not only help the OP (original poster) but also the readers.

Some paints are piss thin and take several coats to cover because of either the color or the brand or even the color of the primer so quantity (and total cost) of paint can vary greatly. The two paint stores you have in your area are taking the easy way out. They give you enough rope to hang yourself... order not enough then it's a pain in the ass to go back for more, order too much..oh well...they just sold more paint.

The best way to figure out how much paint to buy is to tell us which brand you're are thinking about and call other distributors of the same brand and ask them how much you'll need. For example, BASF Supreme will not cover the same as BASF Glasurit or Uno, Sherwin Williams Select will not cover the same as SW ATX and PPG Omni will not cover the same as Envirobase. (not looking for a brand argument!!!)

Colors such as maroon, yellow and orange are very low hiding colors compared to blacks, blues and whites in most cases.

Lots to consider.

Good luck with your project, please post some pictures.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
flyingdet444

Thank You Foot Stomper for your input. One of the stores sells Dupont and the other sell PPG and the lower grade Omni+. The Omni+ base goes for $273 and gallon and I did not even want to know what PPG cost. As a hobbiest I used to paint my stuff myself and paint was fairly reasonable. But now my body is older and hurts so I won't paint it myself, so I decided to have a pro paint it and I would supply the paint. Talk about sticker shock, but again I picked 2000 Mustang performance red (paint code ES) It has alot or orange in it.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:15 PM   #11
flyingdet444

I wanted to mention that it will be painted over BUFF urethane primer.