The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2016, 04:23 PM   #1
encasedmetal

about to purchase 50' 3100 as a daily- things to consider?

hello, I'm thinking about purchasing an all stock 3100 as a daily driver. I have a 63' GMC as a project and it's taking a while so I'd like somthing in the meantime to curb my interests. In your experience with these trucks is there anything I should consider, or change before I make it my daily? I currently commute 26 miles each way. Any over heating issues with the 235 straight six? thanks
encasedmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: about to purchase 50' 3100 as a daily- things to consider?

26 miles backroads and leisure? or 26 miles highway? the inline 6 doesnt really like long high rpm cruises, you might need a gearing change. leisure cruise? grease it and enjoy it.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #3
curmudgeon

The stovebolt forum has a whole sub forum for folks who use their truck as daily drivers:

http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/...y_Drivers.html
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:29 PM   #4
encasedmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
26 miles backroads and leisure? or 26 miles highway? the inline 6 doesnt really like long high rpm cruises, you might need a gearing change. leisure cruise? grease it and enjoy it.
all 45-55mph zones
encasedmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:50 PM   #5
chopit

In my experience the vacuum wipers tend to work well when the sun is out and by murphy's law, not so much when you need them. Go through them or switch to electric. Or keep a coat hanger handy so you can attach it to the wiper arm and operate it manually by reaching out the side window. This works well if you are drunk in the winter as it will also help sober you up.

Occasionally if you try to shortcut your shifting instead of a nice h pattern you'll jamb up your shifter so keep a nice big screwdriver and something clean to lay on to pop everything back in position at the linkage down by the tranny. Shouldn't happen too often

oh...leave a little more room to stop on those drums as compared to modern brakes.

That's all I got for now.
chopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:34 PM   #6
MARTINSR

I have driven vacuum wiper cars and trucks for years without a problem once you grease up the inside or rebuild it. My current daily driver (for 5 years) is a 59 Rambler American stone stock outside of the stereo and third brake light. Flathead motor, drum brakes with a single reservoir and it doesn't even have the optional self adjusters! LOL

The wiper has never been touched and works just fine. I leave room when I drive even though the brakes actually work amazingly well. It has 9x1.5 drums and it stops RIGHT NOW actually. Drums will fade, that is the bad part, driving on hills, they can really kick your butt.

But leave room (this doesn't mean you are going slower!) stay "with" traffic and leave a bunch of room. I drive my family mini van the same way so it's all good. I don't play the moron on the road stuff (Yes I use to be that moron) where they drive a car length apart.

But honestly, every single day now for 5 years and I feel blessed I am able to drive such a funky old car with such personality. Her name is Marge by the way.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:02 PM   #7
chopit

I love Marge...
chopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #8
IndyBowtie

You first say a "stock 50", then you say it has a 235?! Don't believe that's the original engine. Might look very close for other changes!
And keep in mind those early trucks did not have turn signals, which people look for these days, as well as no seat belts ( if that's a concern). Original truck had bias tires...have these been changed to radials? You may not like driving bias tires every day. Other things we take for granted these days like not having to lube everything as much as this truck will need...tie rods, king pins, spring shackles, steering connections. Still 6 volt? Not a big deal, but points and plugs will require looking after. Original wiring was covered in a cloth material and dries out over time ( possible concern for shorts), and 6 volt bulbs and other electrical items are tough to come by.
I not trying to discourage you but driving a vintage vehicle daily requires a lot more hands on, and regularly, than today's vehicles
Also, per my engine guru...today's oil doesn't have some of the key components those early engines needed, and today's No Lead gas is hard on valve seats and such. All of this is irrelevant, for the most part, for occasional use, but daily driving puts a lot more demand on the truck and driver. IMHO
IndyBowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:02 PM   #9
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBowtie View Post
You first say a "stock 50", then you say it has a 235?! Don't believe that's the original engine. Might look very close for other changes!
And keep in mind those early trucks did not have turn signals, which people look for these days, as well as no seat belts ( if that's a concern). Original truck had bias tires...have these been changed to radials? You may not like driving bias tires every day. Other things we take for granted these days like not having to lube everything as much as this truck will need...tie rods, king pins, spring shackles, steering connections. Still 6 volt? Not a big deal, but points and plugs will require looking after. Original wiring was covered in a cloth material and dries out over time ( possible concern for shorts), and 6 volt bulbs and other electrical items are tough to come by.
I not trying to discourage you but driving a vintage vehicle daily requires a lot more hands on, and regularly, than today's vehicles
Also, per my engine guru...today's oil doesn't have some of the key components those early engines needed, and today's No Lead gas is hard on valve seats and such. All of this is irrelevant, for the most part, for occasional use, but daily driving puts a lot more demand on the truck and driver. IMHO
I use Delo oil, it has zinc in it as the old oil did. The maintenance isn't a big deal, every year I go through it, about 6K miles. With the oil changed every 3K. It does take a lot more attention driving but I leave lots of room so there isn't a big deal. Some times I feel like I am flying a plane because I am doing so much.

Brian

Old 02-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #10
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopit View Post
I love Marge...
She is a pretty cool gal.

Brian

Old 02-08-2016, 10:47 PM   #11
dsraven

don't forget the park brake needs to work if you're gonna go crawling around under there to fix the shifter that jammed up. I guess people make good wheel chocks though....(just kidding). good idea to keep a milk crate full of items like spare coolant, oil, booster cables, something to read while you wait for the wife to come pick you up....(kidding, but it happens).
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:39 AM   #12
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
don't forget the park brake needs to work if you're gonna go crawling around under there to fix the shifter that jammed up. I guess people make good wheel chocks though....(just kidding). good idea to keep a milk crate full of items like spare coolant, oil, booster cables, something to read while you wait for the wife to come pick you up....(kidding, but it happens).
Marge has a column shift so when the shifter locks all I have to do is open the hood and pull arm up on the column.

Brian

Old 02-09-2016, 08:34 PM   #13
jhnpldng

Dual Reservoir Master Cylinder.
That way if you lose brake fluid, you still have some kind of brakes. Preferably front.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:02 AM   #14
YukonXL04

I have a bone stock 1950 chevy 3100 and as long as you don't have to drive on the highway, I would have no reservations about driving it every day.

I would say look into security options to make sure it doesn't get stolen.
YukonXL04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:57 AM   #15
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonXL04 View Post
I have a bone stock 1950 chevy 3100 and as long as you don't have to drive on the highway, I would have no reservations about driving it every day.

I would say look into security options to make sure it doesn't get stolen.

That round thing to the right of the gas pedal is your "anti theft device."

LOLOLOL, there isn't 1 person in 100000 today who would know that that is!

My Rambler has three on the tree, I could leave the friggin keys in the ignition, no one is going to be able to take it. It's parked out on the street every day of it's life.

Brian

Old 02-10-2016, 10:32 AM   #16
YukonXL04

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post

That round thing to the right of the gas pedal is your "anti theft device."

LOLOLOL, there isn't 1 person in 100000 today who would know that that is!

My Rambler has three on the tree, I could leave the friggin keys in the ignition, no one is going to be able to take it. It's parked out on the street every day of it's life.

Brian
That might keep the honest people honest, but anyone who has interest of stealing one of these I would imagine knows all about the foot starter lol. I would imagine they would also know how to bypass kill switches. Just my opinion...
YukonXL04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:09 PM   #17
MARTINSR

Honestly, in my world the people who like this stuff are generally not thieves. Those guys are out stealing Honda Civics.

A real good and quick way to kill a car on demand is to ground the ign wire. I have used my cigarette lighter. Who would think to pull out the cigarette lighter.

Brian

Old 02-10-2016, 03:08 PM   #18
Coach529

I would want three things minimum for a daily.
  1. Updated brakes -Dual MC and discs up front
  2. 3 point seat belts
  3. good radial tires

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:34 PM   #19
pvienneau

In Boston it takes a while to warm up to drive. Other than the bad wipers, jammed tree gears on occasion, inability to lock, and top speed of 55 I say it's the best daily. Maybe with the 235 upgrade it also has a rear end upgrade. How is it running at 65?

1949 unmolested Indy Farm Deluxe AD
1949 Standard 4 speed http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=581544
pvienneau is offline   Reply With Quote