The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #1
tdangle

Wing Vent Noise

I just finished replacing the rubber on the wing vent windows. Went well and I was expecting it to quiet the wind noise. Didn't happen. It is different now, almost a whistle from both sides instead of the rushing air. I've tried to determine exactly where it is coming from with no real luck. Upon close inspection it looks like the rubber is sealing well on the windows. all the way around. Could it be the frame to the door?

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:04 PM   #2
CMars45000

Re: Wing Vent Noise

I've always contended that these trucks should've been sold with a slot in the dash to hold 2 nickels to stack under wing window latch to tighten things up.

In all seriousness, have you tested for water leaks? I would imagine that if the wing window is sealed tight, you still could have some wind noise developing from the spectacular aerodynamics with the A-Pillar, goor gap, mirror, etc.

Do the whistle improve or get worse if you fuss with the wing window while it is occurring (make it tighter, loosen it up up, etc)

Vehicles/Projects:

-1971 C10 SWB Fleetside! Gathering parts now, will begin frame-off resto soon...

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.
-Aristotle
CMars45000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
tdangle

The window shuts very tight. No way you could add a shim to tighten it up. Doesn't seem to change when I mess with the window except if I open it up. I'm going to try tape and see if I can figure out where the noise is.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
darrellyates

On my first '68 I built, it made lots of wind noise. No water leaks, but lots of wind noise when driving. Actually whistled....

I'm old enough to remember these trucks in the first person... We always closed the wing windows with matchbooks under the lever to tighten up the seal and reduce wind noise. It's been an issue with them since they were new.

Others will doubtless give you contradictory information, however, I drove one in my teenage years (my Dad's truck); and I'm telling you, it's a common issue.

Of course, door alignment will contribute as well, on my last build I had to build up the "A" pillar part of the door frame about 3/8 of an inch to correct the gaps. It helps reduce the wind noise as well.

To determine where your problem is, use tape on the vent glass (cover it all the way around) and then drive the truck. If it continues to whistle, try covering the gap between the door frame and "A" pillar. You will quickly determine which is causing the noise. However, since you replaced the rubber and it makes noise, likely it's just part of the fun of owning one of these trucks.

I did try one piece windows in my last build. Others will also contradict this statement, but they are quieter running down the interstate; or at least mine is quieter than my previous C10.

Good Luck!
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote