The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2001, 05:52 PM   #1
69panel

Angry ONE PIECE WINDOWS

I got a kit from GMC Paul and it actually comes from Brothers. Paul has them drop shipped from Brothers. The kit does not let the window operate properly. If you follow the instructions exactly the windows don't operate at all. You've got to F**k with them for days and you still wind up having to guide the glass with your free hand to make the glass stay in the track and seal at the top. Lowering the window the glass binds and wants to pop out of the receiver channel that the glass sits in. I have ruined my doors and I don't think that it's right for them to sell a crappy product that does not work properly. I called Brothers to get some tech help and got absolutely no help, I having read the instructions knew more than the tech guy on the phone at Brothers. If you want to leave the windows either up or down they are fine just don't try anything in between. Oh yea be prepared to instruct everyone who sits in the passenger seat the tricks of getting the window up or down.

------------------
'52 Buick Special Dlx
'68 Camaro(striped to bare metal)
'69 C-10 Panel (90% bodywork done)
'77 LeSabre ( daily driver)
'78 Monte-bu Pro Street(Malibu w/ Montecarlo front clip)
'78 Malibu (stock)
'79 Malibu (roller)
'83 280ZX
'83 280ZX (w/ LT1 and 460LE out of '94 Formula Firebird)
'93 Roadmaster wagon

69panel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 03:50 AM   #2
O2Bsogood

Unhappy

I've been pondering if I should get a one piece window kit. I'm beginning to think the vent windows look just fine.

------------------
70' Chevy Shortwide Fleetside
69' Chevelle
96' Camaro
1994 Ford F-150
1974 Gremlin
1959 Apache (Will be For Sale soon)
1972 Chevelle (Will also be For Sale soon)
O2Bsogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 03:12 PM   #3
Alexis
Member since 2000

Jeff from the board has the one piece window for his truck it looks bad ass, when the real progress begin with jessica i think i'm going to go for the one piece

------------------
1970 2wd K5 Blazer her name is Britney (Not Running, in progress)
1967 C-10 SWB her name is Jessica( Running, In progress)
1988 GMC stepside 305 named Stephine, go fast goodie include a intake and msd 6(good enough for a gas saver)
http://brtny70.freeservers.com/
Mechanic @ California Concept <--work on spanken new/clean truck all day. I drop them, i lift them and dam-it i can brake them

AIM=Alexmart1 IM me to say hi.
Mountain View,Ca
2 out of 3 truck isn't bad at all

Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 06:42 PM   #4
72chevyLWB
Got 20's????

You are having the exact same problem that I have with my windows. Everything is the same and I can't get any help either. I left a post here a while ago not to buy the windows because of this problem. I would put the vents back in, but you ruin the doors putting in the 1 piece kit and they won't take them back.
72chevyLWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 01:51 PM   #5
Steve @ BROTHERS

From BROTHERS,

I would like to take this opportunity to offer technical help/advise on this subject. Additionally, I want to offer an open line of communication to anyone with 67-72 one-piece windows that came from BROTHERS or anywhere else.

First thing, and possibly the most important (judging by the problems heard in this string), you must use stock regulators or BROTHERS scissor type power regulators with BROTHERS kit and probably anyone elses. The reason is that many aftermarket regulators allow inward and outward movement of the lower window sash at the bottom mounting position. This causes the glass to fall into the interior of the truck and out of the glass channel. Popular power window conversions like the one from Specialty Power Windows work this way. Early in the developement of our kit, we ran into this on a truck that already had a power kit like this installed on the stock glass. The fix for those of you with our window kit and SPW's or a similar power conversion can use washers to eliminate the inward and outward movement of the glass and this will cure the problem of the glass falling in when the glass gets 1/2 to 3/4 up or down. For people with stock regulators having this problem, check the regulator for an unusual amount of play. If there is excessive play, you may need to replace the regulator/s. If you have checked all of this and still have issues/questions e-mail me and include your contact phone#'s. I will e-mail you back or call you directly. STEVE@BROTHERSTRUCKS.COM

Second thing, my response to your comments.
1) Benrs86 wrote "A while ago I read a post that one kit had bigger filler plates than other ones?" Steve - This is true, I know the kit from No Limit has very large filler plates and BROTHERS kit has fairly small ones.

2) Benrs86 wrote "Is there anyone that has them with installation tips or anything at all?" Steve - I'm not trying to push BROTHERS website on anyone, but we do have a complete tech article on the installation @ http://www.brotherstrucks.com/tech/1...echwindow.htm.

3) 72chevyLWB wrote "The glass hits the rear channel when it goes down and pulls the glass out." Steve - Most of the time when the glass pulls out of the sash it just wasn't in deep enough or it didn't have time to set after installation. I've had this problem before with the stock setup on my own 1966 Chevy II. Had the glass reset and eliminated the problem. Would like to hear from anyone else that has experienced this.

4) bbbowtie wrote "If you follow the instructions exactly the windows don't operate at all. You've got to F**k with them for days and you still wind up having to guide the glass with your free hand to make the glass stay in the track and seal at the top. Lowering the window the glass binds and wants to pop out of the receiver channel that the glass sits in." Steve - All I can say here is that this sounds like exactly what I described at the beginning of this post. You must use stock regs or scissor type power regs with our kit. If bbbowtie or anyone else wants to contact me, I would like to get you feedback directly. E-mail to Steve@brotherstrucks.com with your contact info and I WILL CALL YOU.

5) 72step wrote "We should get together and file a class action and get our money back. What do ya say?!!!" Steve - Don't bother with the "class action", BROTHERS has always backed what we make and what we sell 100%, call us if your unhappy and we'll either help you get it right or we'll give you your $$$ back. In this case, Contact me directly and I'll even cover you on kits sold by our dealers (GMC Paul, Classic Heartbeat, Mother Truckers, etc...). I know this is a good kit and have no problem covering it.

6) Tim Christian wrote "Has anyone tried the window kit No Limit sells?" Steve - No Limits kit has a very large filler panel and requires a large section to be cut from your door. See the following link for a picture of the No Limit kit http://www.truckinweb.com/servlet/co...e&forceid=885. A picture of our kit is on our website @ www.brotherstrucks.com/window.html.

7) ItsMike wrote "All they give you in the kit is just standard channel felt. Not molded or anything so i imagine you could buy it from soft seal by the foot. Its kinda generic you would think if they make a kit it would be right." Steve - The kit he's talking about here must have come from someone else. BROTHERS one-piece window kits come with a formed felt set just like original and made from original material not generic. They have the factory type clips in the factory locations and just pop-in. They do however reqiure a screw to fasten the additional length at the front of the felt where the vent used to be.

To wrap this up, I invite anyone to contact me with your questions or problems. I have personally installed this kit a number of times and have learned a bunch about how it works and how it doesn't. I'm confident in our kit, we spent over a year developing this kit with our staff and the help of an outside enginerring group and It's not a "crappy product that does not work properly". We have this kit installed in our Project Suburban and have had no problems. Sport Truck Magazine did an article on this install ini the November 2000 issue and had no difficulty. Additionally, 2 of BROTHERS customer service reps have this kit on thier trucks and are having no problems. You can contact them directly too! Call BROTHERS @ 800-977-2767 and ask for John (our sales manager, '69 short/step original owner) or Kyle ('68 short/step), they will be glad to help work anything out with you. We have sold nearly 1000 of these kits to date, if there were glaring problems with every kit, we would have and still will addressed them if necessary. The bottom line is this, our kit is a nice kit, that is well thought out and it works and looks awesome. We want to help you out if you are having problems so call us, PLEASE!

steve@brotherstrucks.com www.brotherstrucks.com

------------------
Steve Flanders
Product Management/Developement
BROTHERS

Toll Free 800-977-2767
Local Phone 951-808-9790

Email Steve@BrothersTrucks.com
Steve @ BROTHERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 12:24 PM   #6
Benrs86

I guess most of the people with problems have problems that can be fixed. I ordered your catalog now. Thanks for the informaiton, Ben

------------------
Brandon, SD
69 GMC 1/2 ton 2wd
wide long bed with wood
3 on the tree
350 engine 4 bolt main
rv cam

3 on the tree
350 engine 4 bolt main
rv cam
AIM = Alphray04
Benrs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 02:12 PM   #7
70 Jimmy
aka Crusher, Crushergmc

I know I could call to ask this question, but I want everyone to know. Will your kit work with a Jimmy/Blazer? I've heard that it won't.

------------------
"KEEP IT DOWN!"
70 Jimmy 454 2wd
56 GMC Big Window

"It's funny till someone gets hurt, then it's freakin' hilarious"
70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 07:23 AM   #8
MOTHERTRUCKERS

No they will not work on blazers only trucks and suburbans.

------------------
www.mothertruckers.net

Old 07-23-2002, 08:23 AM   #9
Bamm
Cowboy Fan for Life!!!!!!

Nice to see a company man step up and not just put you off and give you the runaround...........JB
18 x 8 Torque Thrust II's
Future mods: All new gauges & wood bed
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Bamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 11:25 PM   #10
NSANE68!!!
SLICER AND DICIER

Wink

He's been on here a couple of times. I felt so confident I bought the kit. It looks like a great kit. I have not installed it yet. The guy on the phne said the main problems is worn out regulators, so I bought 2 new ones. I don't forsee any problems now. Fingers crossed.
95 Honda 900RR
05 GMC Siearra (company truck)
NSANE68!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 08:29 AM   #11
MOTHERTRUCKERS

For anybody interested we sell the upgrade kit, it comes with new left and right regulators and door hinge pins and bushings, upper door hinge friction pucks and retainers available with the 1pc kit or as a seperate kit. e-mail if interested.