The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2017, 01:07 AM   #1
painterljp

402 water pump questions/advice??

Rebuilt our 402 bb. Now for water pump??? Ordered a flow kooler water pump bra- 1673. It is the wrong one it won't bolt. It has a short water pump. We have the old one. It looks same but bolt hole are definitely wrong. Called Summit. They are returning it ok. But they asked me the dumb questions of which way does the motor turn clockwise or counter clockwise.?? Guess I don't know and the engine is still on the engine stand and not yet installed . Summit says the one we got turns clockwise and it won't fit. They Gave me another number of a pump that turns counter clockwise of EMP11105. which is a Stewart pump and it turns the other way and they say it will fit. Now am really confused. Help!!! Only thing I seem to find on here is standard rotation. It is a completely stock truck. Anybody got any part numbers for the correct water pump.? It's a short pump.
And when you look it up to cross it it does have 2 different models of 6.6 402. One with a T and one with a U. Is that a Vin or engine block code? I think am over thinking this stuff.
Thanks in advance for any answers. Didn't think I was this confused but guess I am.

Last edited by painterljp; 11-21-2017 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Spelling.
painterljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #2
Doug's68SS

Re: 402 water pump questions/advice??

not sure what they mean by rotation on the engine. it only turns one way. but the later BBC 454 with serpentine belt system has a water pump that rotates the opposite direction. and it also fits the older engines. I have one on mine that I picked up at the parts store.
Attached Images

Doug's68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:08 PM   #3
weq92f

Engine runs clockwise. The serpentine belt system there rotates the pump counter clockwise ( reverse rotation ). I guess it depends on which way your belt system ends up rotating the pump. Standard rotation is clockwise and reverse would be counter clockwise.

My 402 has the same serpentine setup as Doug's68SS there and so uses a long, reverse rotation pump. I think they can be had at the local parts house for less than 50 bucks. ...Or you can opt for some very polished up ones from Edel and others for big bucks!

Hth,

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #4
painterljp

This is just stock no serpentine belts v belt system with factory brackets. Guess will just send it back to summit but auto zone and such all have to order it. Will try napa. Don't really want a rebuilt pump just as soon have a new one. My past with regards built pumps from auto zone and O'Reilly haven't lasted long and a bb is harder to keep cool. Was going to go with a new pump. But where to get one.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:10 PM   #5
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterljp View Post
It looks same but bolt hole are definitely wrong.
What was wrong with this? What bolt holes?
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:25 PM   #6
painterljp

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
What was wrong with this? What bolt holes?
The bolts that bolt water pump to the block don't line up!! They are off by like 1/8 of an inch on both sides. Gonna call napa now. We will see what they have for it.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:49 PM   #7
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterljp View Post
The bolts that bolt water pump to the block don't line up!! They are off by like 1/8 of an inch on both sides. Gonna call napa now. We will see what they have for it.
Yeah clockwise/counterclockwise are the least of your issues.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #8
70STOVEBOLT

I used NAPA p/n 44088 on the '71 402 in my truck. That is a new Tru-Flow unit that was around $100. You can get a reman unit for less.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #9
68Gold/white

I don't but anything reman, EVER!!!
The Chevy engines starting in 1987 used serpentine belts, yes this was first year for fuel injection.
The back (smooth) side of the belt turned the water pump, which meant that the fins in the pump have to be aligned opposite of oldie pumps.
The Stewart pump not aligning with bolt holes sounds screwy, something very wrong there.
I'm no expert, but I sold auto parts for 13 years, AND never assume anything.
Call Summit or Jegs tell them you have a STOCK Chevrolet pickup and you would like an aluminum pump. I say this loosely, but most of the short BB water pumps should work, Corvette stuff can be different, beware...
Hop this helps...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:35 PM   #10
painterljp

Called Napa today they have a new Gates pump for 100. Not rebuilt a new one. On Friday gonna take the old pump down to match it up. That should work. Just heard a lot of good things about the flow kooler pumps cooling better but they won't bolt up not going to cool better. So you all don't order one they won't work. They said to send in my old one and they will put new guts in it for around 250.00!!! Not gonna do that. I think 100. Is steep for a pump but will gladly get it cause it's a new pump not rebuilt. Thanks for part number it is correct number. Thank you. Thanks for all the answers to my dumb questions.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:43 PM   #11
painterljp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
I don't but anything reman, EVER!!!
The Chevy engines starting in 1987 used serpentine belts, yes this was first year for fuel injection.
The back (smooth) side of the belt turned the water pump, which meant that the fins in the pump have to be aligned opposite of oldie pumps.
The Stewart pump not aligning with bolt holes sounds screwy, something very wrong there.
I'm no expert, but I sold auto parts for 13 years, AND never assume anything.
Call Summit or Jegs tell them you have a STOCK Chevrolet pickup and you would like an aluminum pump. I say this loosely, but most of the short BB water pumps should work, Corvette stuff can be different, beware...
Hop this helps...
But that's the whole point I don't want an aluminum pump. Plain old cast iron will work for me. I did call summit they are taking this one back. Stewart pump is the one they have they say fits. But can get it until December 10th. Just don't want to be shipping water pumps all over country and waiting 3 weeks on each of them to find out they don't fit. Will get the one from Napa on friday. Hopefully it's the right one. Thank you.