The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2019, 06:41 PM   #1
72velle

84 parking brake handle

Hello folks,
the parking brake handle on my 84 C10 is missing. How does the handle attach to the release? Mine is not threaded.
TIA,
Kevin
72velle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
sweetk30

Re: 84 parking brake handle

i think the handle is molded on the rod that un-clips from the brake unit itself.
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:44 AM   #3
TKCR

Did you see this? They bought a new handle from LMC and made it work.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=779597
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:55 PM   #4
tucsonjwt

I just ordered the "official" GM retaining clip (aka "push nut" or "speed nut" or "Palnut") since I could not find any 7/32" (or no. 12) size push nuts at the local hardware stores.) All the hardware stores had were cap style push nuts or the rectangular speed nuts used for attaching trim pieces ("H style.) They are obsolete but still available NOS in a few places. GM part number 9428687.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
tucsonjwt

Actually, I did have my existing factory parking brake release handle but the plastic handle snapped off because the extreme desert heat degraded the plastic, which happens to everything made of plastic or rubber in the desert.

As I noted in the above referenced thread, the LMC is a stake on type - so you will have to buy their stake on style handle and factory style rod (with protruding lugs which jam into the hole in the handle.) Others posting here said they let their handle bake in the sun before jamming it onto the rod. I would imagine that using a heat gun would accomplish this also.

I think I prefer threading the end of the factory style rod to the stake on or DIY jam on style, because the desert heat will likely cause the plastic jam on style handle to break off again. Having a threaded handle means I can just get another thread on style handle when that happens. Those thread on style handles are more common - used throughout the 60s and 70s for many GM cars. Since 60s and 70s muscle cars have active collectors and restorers, I think those thread on style handles will always be available, as they are now.

Of course, you would have to invest $10 ($8 with the always available 20% discount coupon) in a high quality Harbor Freight SAE tap and die set, as well as a small bottle of cutting fluid or 3 in 1 machine oil. I found I needed to file the diameter of the rod down a bit to get the die started. It takes a 12-24 die to cut the threads in the end of the rod.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:31 PM   #6
duallydude63

i have one from an 81 if U pm me i can send U a pic [rod and handle] dont knw how to post pics !!
duallydude63 is offline   Reply With Quote