The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #1
pheengurs

12 bolt rear end c-clip eliminator and disc brakes?

anyone bother to do c-clip eliminator and add disc brakes to their stock 12 bolt 6 lug rear axle? (been searching for a post dealing specifically with that...)

or did you just go with an full floating corp 14 that already has factory disc brakes??? (probably cheaper and easier?)

My truck is a 64 k10 step-side shortbox, with a corp 12 bolt rear, 3.73 gear ratio, 6 lug wheels, drum brakes at rear.

(front axle upgraded to a corp 10 bolt with disc brakes from a 87 v10) (stock size vacuum booster, mated to a 72 master cylinder made for front disc with its proportioning valve)
(tcase still the worn out old t221 - trans still the sm420)
(tires are 33x12x15 dick cepek mud country radials on the factory 6 lug axles)
(stock leafspring suspension / lift & geometry / rancho rs5000 shocks / Roadmaster rear leaf spring helpers)

I tow my camper out (from city traffic, to several hundred kilometers to the trails, unhook the camper, go trail wheeling, and mud bogging, and then at the end of the weekend, hook up and go home...

(just upgraded engine to a mild 383 stroker -- with roughly 425 HP/425 torque at flywheel.)

* braking is an issue and have been considering buying Captain Fab's rear disc plates http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=494411
, and converting to hydrasteer http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=347480

* I also have a Detroit TruTrak I'd like to install into the rear. So with the added stress that the stroker engine higher horsepower/torque and a locker in the rear, I've been considering adding some kind of C-Clip Eliminator...

so what do y'all think? take the time and upgrade the old 12 bolt, or just 'swap' in a 14 bolt?

(with a 14 bolt swap, will the stock driveshaft work or will that need to be resized?)
rolling on 33x12x15 tires on 6 lug rims.
pheengurs is offline   Reply With Quote