The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
ron lechman

Question 68 c10 fleet side tail gate NOS replacement cost

Happy New Year.
For arbitration with my insurance company I need some help finding a current replacement cost of my original tailgate that was stolen.

I need the price of a bare NOS fleetside 68 C10 tailgate.

I have found two on this forum that were advertised in the last two years.
One for $1000.00 and one for $1100.00. Both were sold.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Currently the insurance company is using a figure of $513.00 as the last known price of an original GM tailgate. I don't think that is anywhere near current values.

Picture of similar truck. Same colors too.

Cheers!! Ron
Name:  s-l1600 (10).jpg
Views: 889
Size:  46.7 KB

Last edited by LockDoc; 01-01-2018 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Need to be a Premium member to post a WTB
ron lechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:17 AM   #2
randy.powell

Re: 68 c10 fleet side tail gate NOS replacement cost

I paid $1100 for mine about 6 months ago. Found it on ebay. NOS and was in the box.
Randy
randy.powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:03 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

N.O.S. tailgate price had made it up to $500 ten or more years ago when prices were just beginning to sky rocket. They worked their way up to around $800 for a while and seem to have leveled off a bit at $1,000-1,200 for the last five years or so. Your insurance company is ten years years behind with that price. They need to be the one showing you just where they found that price. If they hold their ground at that price I'd tell them "That is fine, now go find and buy me one for that!"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:27 AM   #4
ron lechman

Happy New Year and thank you to Randy and Tim.
The price range 0f $1000.00 to $1200.00 that you gave confirms what I thought.
I think that your input will help my arbitration.

Cheers!! Ron
Old 01-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

Location: Tarpon Springs,Fl & Annapolis,Md. ....................Quaint drinking villages with a fishing problem

The insurance companies are great at "Lowballing" until it comes time for your renewal premiums.
CaptRMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:39 AM   #6
ron lechman

In my case I have a good insurance adjuster who has to justify a reasonable settlement. He has to go by the estimators figures.The more accurate varifyable information on current prices the better.
Cheers!! Ron
Old 01-02-2018, 11:12 AM   #7
truckster

Locate three examples of NOS tailgates for sale (if you can) and provide the information to your adjuster. Unless he can demonstrate he can purchase at a lower price, he'll have to go with the evidence you provide.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:34 AM   #8
ron lechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Locate three examples of NOS tailgates for sale (if you can) and provide the information to your adjuster. Unless he can demonstrate he can purchase at a lower price, he'll have to go with the evidence you provide.
Thank you for the good advice.

So far I have one forum member state that he purchased an NOS tailgate recently for $1100.00.

On ebay there is only one NOS tailgate listed. A stepside 68 C10 tailgate listed for $795.00 plus shipping.

There are a couple of newer 73 and up NOS tailgates listed at around $500.00 and $900.00 plus the shipping.

I still could use a few more samples of current prices either listed or sold .

There are lots of aftermarket tailgates available but unacceptable. We all know what they are like for material, fit and quality. Two layers of `plywood and gate hinges would be better.

Cheers!! Ron
Old 01-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #9
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron lechman View Post
Thank you for the good advice.

So far I have one forum member state that he purchased an NOS tailgate recently for $1100.00.

On ebay there is only one NOS tailgate listed. A stepside 68 C10 tailgate listed for $795.00 plus shipping.

There are a couple of newer 73 and up NOS tailgates listed at around $500.00 and $900.00 plus the shipping.

I still could use a few more samples of current prices either listed or sold .

There are lots of aftermarket tailgates available but unacceptable. We all know what they are like for material, fit and quality. Two layers of `plywood and gate hinges would be better.

Cheers!! Ron

Make sure you get prices apples to apples. Step side gates are cheaper, and later trucks just aren't in the same category.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:30 PM   #10
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRMW View Post
The insurance companies are great at "Lowballing" until it comes time for your renewal premiums.
DUMP YOUR CURRENT INSURANCE IMMEDIATELY. You can use the for sale ads here to validate claims for NOS products.

You have to check your state laws and see if your particular locale will allow for cheap aftermarket replacement.

In my state we have the right to demand OEM sheetmetal in the process, yet its a b@$%*!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:01 PM   #11
ron lechman

Thanks for your input toolboxchev.
I can't dump my present insurance company.
Where I live car insurance part of vehicle registration and done thru the provincial government. You can't register your vehicle without buying the insurance. There are choises to the coverage and deductible. There are good points and bad points to this insurance program. Overall I find it is good and my premiums are lower than provinces with private insurance for the same coverage. ie: $560 CDN ($420 US) per year for $200.00 deductible, full coverage and $2,000,000.00 liability.

My insurance adjuster is looking at the prices of original tailgates and NO aftermarket parts are being considered. Things are going decent and he just need to verify actual selling prices of NOS tailgates and not asking prices.

I should however look at getting additional insurance for my classic as that is offered by private insurers. Good advise to look around to see options on insurance.

Cheers!! Ron
Old 01-04-2018, 04:41 PM   #12
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron lechman View Post
Thanks for your input toolboxchev.
I can't dump my present insurance company.
Where I live car insurance part of vehicle registration and done thru the provincial government. You can't register your vehicle without buying the insurance. There are choises to the coverage and deductible. There are good points and bad points to this insurance program. Overall I find it is good and my premiums are lower than provinces with private insurance for the same coverage. ie: $560 CDN ($420 US) per year for $200.00 deductible, full coverage and $2,000,000.00 liability.

My insurance adjuster is looking at the prices of original tailgates and NO aftermarket parts are being considered. Things are going decent and he just need to verify actual selling prices of NOS tailgates and not asking prices.

I should however look at getting additional insurance for my classic as that is offered by private insurers. Good advise to look around to see options on insurance.

Cheers!! Ron
Wow thats eye opening! 420 a year for full coverage with 200 dollar deductable and 2 mil in liability!

I just switched companies and will continue to shop thats for sure!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #13
Coley

I can't help immediately with the value on that tailgate...but I would make sure that the cost of a newer 2014 to 2018 tailgate is used as a reference in the conversation,.... and certainly if they think the NOS number is high for the late 60's tailgate.

As an example...if a new GM Tailgate is say, $1200-$1500.....why would a GM tailgate that was new, just an older example be any less?
Similar amount of size, similar amount of steel (probably more), same application.....
fair is fair and at the end of day.....that's what you pay insurance for and its their turn to pay up on what you have already paid for.

my two bits.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:21 PM   #14
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Stepside tailgates are normally a little cheaper because they were made for so many years. Here are three ads from the board.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697702

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=726643

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=737604

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #15
ron lechman

Thank you Coley for your input. You raise some very interesting facts that I will use.

Thank you Leon for providing three good examples of recent values of 67 thru 72 C10 tailgates.
Cheers!! Ron
Old 01-02-2018, 12:58 PM   #16
Jcfcamaro

There was a 1972 factory take off put up the rafters at a GM dealership back in 72 that was kinda gold/brown and white that had all the Chevrolet wood grain band and trim sold on EBay within the last year for around 1800 0r 1900 I think. You can do a completed listing search and see what they sold for. I think it was around January or March time frame, but I looked on EBay and I can't figure out how to search by date.

Last edited by Jcfcamaro; 01-02-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:14 PM   #17
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfcamaro View Post
There was a 1972 factory take off put up the rafters at a GM dealership back in 72 that was kinda gold/brown and white that had all the Chevrolet wood grain band and trim sold on EBay within the last year for around 1800 0r 1900 I think. You can do a completed listing search and see what they sold for. I think it was around January or March time frame, but I looked on EBay and I can't figure out how to search by date.

If you do a search for '67-'72 Chevrolet (or Chevy) tailgate on e-bay and the results come up, if you scroll down and watch the sidebar on the left side of the window you will see "Sold Listings". Click on that and you can scroll through the items that have sold. It isn't perfect and I don't know how far it goes back but it is another option....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 01-03-2018 at 09:44 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:10 PM   #18
CC69Rat

I gave $450 for a 10k mile original GM gate (near NOS) bit it has been 5 yrs ago. Absolutely, an NOS 67-72 fleet tailgate will fetch $1000+ all day, then you'll have to consider shipping to Canada too.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #19
ron lechman

Thanks guys for all your input. Luckily I have a good insurance adjuster that I have relayed much of the info that I received. It has been considered and my settlement offer is now much better. I'll still be out a few hundred dollars but I can deal with that. Better than being out over a grand$$$.
I want to install some thief deterrence items to my new tailgate so I don't have to go thru this again. I'll start a new thread asking for suggestions.
Thanks again guys and thank you to the forum as a whole.
Time for me to step up and contribute a few bucks to this forum .
Cheers!! Ron
Old 01-04-2018, 09:16 AM   #20
BarnfindC10

I have an Nos one and an early take off one of you are still looking.
BarnfindC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #21
crakarjax

A little off topic, but is an NOS tailgate really that much better than repro? I have a decent tailgate at the moment and was planning to replace it with aftermarket, but if they are bogus repros I might just refurb it...
Old 01-04-2018, 11:48 PM   #22
ron lechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
A little off topic, but is an NOS tailgate really that much better than repro? I have a decent tailgate at the moment and was planning to replace it with aftermarket, but if they are bogus repros I might just refurb it...
If you have a small budget and some skill and don't have a tailgate you can make an aftermarket tailgate work. It would be better than nothing.
Ask any body shop what they think of aftermarket vs. original or NOS.

In our discussion I had an original tailgate that was stolen and I want an original tailgate to replace it. That's what I pay insurance for. To cover my losses with the same item and quality. I would not accept an aftermarket tailgate to replace my original tailgate anymore than I'd accept a bicycle to replace my truck should it ever be stolen.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:57 AM   #23
ron lechman

Hi fellow forum members.

I'd like to thank all that supplied price samples of NOS tailgate as well as those who offered good advice.
I have reached a reasonable settlement amount with my insurance company and expect to get a check soon. Once I have the check I'll be looking for a replacement. Anyone have an excellent 68 C10 tailgate in original light green? See sample picture. This is not my truck.
Name:  s-l1600 (10).jpg
Views: 395
Size:  46.7 KB

My advice to other members is:

to have good recent pictures of your truck
keep your receipts together where you can locate them.
Finally, I'd suggest you get a bill of sale for your truck in the proper amount and pay the taxes on that amount. A low value on your bill of sale will work against you should you suffer a loss or damage claim.

Cheers!! Ron