The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2018, 02:31 PM   #1
Faastone27

Center support bearing question

Before i go to the trouble of changing my CSB should there not be any movement within the bearing? Seems like the bearing is fine but the rubber around it seems a little "spongy" and therefore there is play inside the housing itself. is this normal or should i not be able to move either side of the driveshaft within the bearing carrier? Sorry i had posted this on an old thread titled carrier bearing that was from 2015 and no response so i thought i would start a new in hopes someone could help. Thank You guys i have taken the driveshaft assuming it was bad already but i have taken it apart yet. and yes i did mark orientation.
Faastone27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Center support bearing question

The rubber is supposed to give back & forth. The slip joint is in the trans. so the drive shaft has to move back & forth as the rear end goes up & down.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:10 PM   #3
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
The rubber is supposed to give back & forth. The slip joint is in the trans. so the drive shaft has to move back & forth as the rear end goes up & down.
X2!

I hate the common standard carrier bearing that came on 67-72 and many earlier years of these pickups (the one that bolts to the cross member with 2 bolts that are in line with the drive shaft.
I plan to some how use the 73 and up bearing assy. on my 67 and 68, a much better design...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
Faastone27

Hey Guys Thanks for the replies. After going to my local NAPA and seeing a new one it just confirmed that mine was definitely needing to be changed. The bearing itself was fine but the rubber around it was toast so i'm in the process of changing it right now. went ahead and replaced u joints while i was at it! another job done... Check that one off the list of things i wanted to do!
Old 02-20-2018, 09:17 PM   #5
hjewell2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faastone27 View Post
Hey Guys Thanks for the replies. After going to my local NAPA and seeing a new one it just confirmed that mine was definitely needing to be changed. The bearing itself was fine but the rubber around it was toast so i'm in the process of changing it right now. went ahead and replaced u joints while i was at it! another job done... Check that one off the list of things i wanted to do!
How hard was it to get the CSB off the driveshaft?
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:52 PM   #6
Faastone27

Honestly that was the easiest part. But I will say my next door neighbor at our business has a press but it really did come off pretty easy. Idont think it would have really been necessary to have one to take it off and put it on. Getting the u joint off was the tough part for me. and to be honest I put the universal joint on and forgot to put the center bolt in first, so I had to it apart a second time.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:20 PM   #7
hjewell2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faastone27 View Post
Honestly that was the easiest part. But I will say my next door neighbor at our business has a press but it really did come off pretty easy. Idont think it would have really been necessary to have one to take it off and put it on. Getting the u joint off was the tough part for me. and to be honest I put the universal joint on and forgot to put the center bolt in first, so I had to it apart a second time.
cool that's the answer I was hoping for, and I thank you.
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote