The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2018, 05:46 PM   #1
Willys_MB

Deciphering Original Paint Color - No SPID

Hi everyone,

I'm in the final steps of my engine swap and I'm a little confused. I'm one of those lucky guys who got a pickup that someone decided would look really good in a crappy coat of black primer applied with little to no prep work. While I've got everything out, I decided to at least get a fresh coat of paint in the engine compartment to help everything look clean when I'm done. I started scraping all the gunk out with a putty knife and then I followed that up with oven cleaner and several rounds of pressure washing. I'm noticing a few weird things here. As you can see in the pictures, the passenger inner fender was obviously replaced and it's still rotted out. In addition to this, I'm noticing a white/gray/silver paint all over the truck, but I was always under the impression the original color was teal (light green or something like that).

Does anybody know if maybe that light gray color I'm seeing all over is the primer or is it the actual original paint color?

The last photo is of the grille. Were all GMC grilles chrome or argent silver? I'm also not sure what's underneath that nasty black primer. They even painted my head lights and blinkers, what a nice guy!

Thank you in advance!
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2018, 08:51 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Deciphering Original Paint Color - No SPID

I don't believe it is a primer your seeing. My 67 Burban has what looks to be the same color on the floor boards. It is a Fremont truck. There is a whole primer color debate if you do a search. Basically different plants used different colors for the hidden areas. My Burban has areas under the dash and behind the head liner that are light blue even though it's a 503 green same as your truck is. Notice the blue kick panel in the second photo. This may be from the painter spraying hidden areas when switching from one color to another. It's another thing we will never know that answer to. The more silver areas in the first photo is the silver Por15 I touched the surface rust up with.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote