The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2016, 02:49 PM   #1
SanJosesSteve

Is this even possible? -New Guy Question

So I spent the summer upgrading Gramps 59’ GMC to make it safe/reliable enough to go on a 300 mile fishing trip up in the Sierras. (Made it over the 10K’ Sonora Pass!) Last thing on my list to do is swap out the original steering column for a collapsible unit. Trouble is, I want to keep my original 3 on the tree shifter. Not finding an application in the aftermarket for such a column. Is it even possible to do?

Just for reference, the truck had 92K on it when Gramps past and in the last 25 years I’ve put another 40K on it. Original 270 with only a valve job done by me in the 90’s. I’ve already installed seat belts, split the brake hydraulic system, new shocks, tires, drilled drums, tapered bearings and replaced the original bed wood. Truck is still wearing original paint. (What’s left of it.) and has never had a radio or speaker installed. I’d like to keep it as original as possible but the column scares me.

Has anyone installed a collapsible column in one of these w/o going to a floor mount shifter? Thanks, -San Jose Steve
Attached Images

SanJosesSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #2
1project2many

Re: Is this even possible? -New Guy Question

We had a '75 or '76 Malibu with a three on the tree. That car would have had a collapsible column. I can't tell you where to find one today, though.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:01 PM   #3
58CameoAZ

That is Cool history on your truck! But i am just saying here, a newer steering column is
not going to make the truck that much safer, Its a good first start to making it safer Yes,
But, God Forbid, You, or any of us gets in an accident in one of an AD or TF trucks!
again i am just saying, the early iron is not that friendly to one's safety.

Allen
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
_Ogre

you really can't modify the existing column without modifying the whole steering system
your column is a fixed shaft attached into the steering box

you say collapsible column, make sure you don't mean tilt column or telescoping column
collapsible only collapses in a wreck, yes it's a safety feature, but the steel dash would kill you anyway

i'm going to assume you mean tilt steering wheel: see line 1

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:54 PM   #5
mr48chev

If you want a collapsable column for safety reasons I'm thinking that 69 though 72 Chevy and GMC pickups with three speeds had what you are looking for but you still have a lot of work involved to make one work in your truck.

What you have now is one solid shaft that runs from bottom of the steering box to the nut at the top of the wheel and you would have to cut that off above the steering box at the right spot to put in the column and hook it up to the stub of the existing shaft.

If you are looking at tilt or tilt/telescope I have never seen a column shift three speed with a tilt wheel that I can remember and I am 70 years old and have seen a lot of trucks.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:21 AM   #6
dsraven

like said previously, the steering column is a one piece spear from steering box to steering wheel. if you wanted to you could check out ididit steering column install. they cut the shaft above the box and grind the shaft down on two sides to accept a double D shaft u joint. then,above that, you can install any steering column you can find with a standard 3 on the tree. some square body trucks (70's era chevy) had the 3 three on the tree set up, pretty rare though. check out the wreckers in your area for a donor, or there is always the floor shift conversion.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
PDW HOTRODS

GM offered 3 speed on column clear up to about 1981 or so. Most people didn't save those columns though. Also I have never seen a tilt with 3 speed on column.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:13 PM   #8
Dave0

Some 3 point seat belts might be a good addition too.
Dave0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #9
SanJosesSteve

Thanks...... 3 point seat belts I already have. Now I just want to avoid impailing myself on that rigid steering wheel shaft. Not interested in a tilting wheel, rather just one that will collapse a bit in an accident if it were to come up and meet me on my bench seat! Well as Gramps used to always say; "Just go slow, you always have a chance if you go slow." Hahahahaha!
Old 11-28-2016, 07:30 PM   #10
Dave0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJosesSteve View Post
Thanks...... 3 point seat belts I already have. Now I just want to avoid impailing myself on that rigid steering wheel shaft. Not interested in a tilting wheel, rather just one that will collapse a bit in an accident if it were to come up and meet me on my bench seat! Well as Gramps used to always say; "Just go slow, you always have a chance if you go slow." Hahahahaha!
I think the "collapsible" ones are for if you hit it (not wearing seat belt) What you really want is a "D" shaft towards the engine that can slide over itself if the frame horn comes back too far in a wreck.... Which may be added to a original column? I dunno...
Old 11-28-2016, 08:43 PM   #11
tmoble

stock steering box is mounted well behind the crossmember and even most of the engine. If you have decent belts you don't have much to worry about there. It's hard to do much with the steering column and box with going all the way to a PS replacement.

Cool truck, BTW.

I'm an engine builder and I've built several of those 270s for guys. With minor update/mods they wake up and run pretty good. Last one I did the owner came up with an Offy 4-bbl manifold. we welded on a Q-jet adaptor and cleaned up the inside a bit. It had a split exhaust manifold with a small cam. He had a conversion distributor that turned it into an HEI. Thing ran like crazy for 300 inch engine. Off idle torque was murder with the Q-jet. He came up with some OD manual trans setup, it was ready to rock'n'roll on the streets or the highway. I was really impressed with the whole setup and most people would not notice that anything major had been done under the hood.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:32 PM   #12
_Ogre

Quote:
I just want to avoid impailing myself on that rigid steering wheel shaft
you'd only be delaying the inevitable meeting of mr face and mr dash

Old 11-29-2016, 06:49 PM   #13
1project2many

Steering shaft isn't the only problem. The hood can get knocked straight back through the A pillars.

Last edited by 1project2many; 11-29-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:31 PM   #14
SanJosesSteve

The hood knocking through the A pillars? Ugh..... you just added another item to my list of things to try and mitigate!

I already replaced the rear view mirror and glove box door screws with plastic ones hoping they will break away if hit hard enough. Gas tank relocated under the bed with a modern filler tube.

The hood thing is crazy. Never worried about it much, but now that I compelted a 300 mile R/T on the highway, I want to do more which unfortunately increases the risk of hurting myself while driving this thing! -Steve
Old 11-30-2016, 12:53 PM   #15
58CameoAZ

Just saying here, The Truck, is what it is, and is "not" what a vehicle is by today's Safety standards,
with that, you might want to sell the truck and get yourself a Prius!
Old 11-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #16
1project2many

Steve, I'm betting that many of us "long haulers" here have the same advice: Drive defensively. It's going to be extremely difficult to make an old truck as safe as a new one. Part of the reason trucks look like they do is to accommodate all the safety features built in. Don't drive aggressively, look ahead for trouble, stay out of the path of danger and the odds are in your favor.

FWIW if I were building for safety I would assume there's no way to keep a sitting person perfectly safe during a crash in that old truck (remember that I have one, too). There's nothing designed into the cab or chassis to absorb the energy of an impact and I don't think trying to fight it will end well. I'd install a two piece column, use a shoulder belt with no lap component, latch the pivoting stock seat so it won't fold, make as much room around and under the dash as possible, clear up any sharp edges down there, and plan to end up on the floor possibly with broken legs in the event of a significant crash.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:15 PM   #17
SanJosesSteve

Yeah..... I know..... I've gotten buy the past 25 years driving it only to Home Depot and occasionally to Monterey hauling dive gear. Never thought it would actually make a long drive across the state though. Now that I know it can, I want to drive it on all my fishing trips! :-)

I suppose if I wanted to stay safe, I'd be better off in my Dodge Challenger R/T. Then again...... that thing encourages a lot of "Bad Behavior". :-)

-Steve
Old 11-30-2016, 02:28 PM   #18
_Ogre

there is no way to make these trucks safe in a wreck
no crumple zones, the trans x-member is designed to launch the motor into the cab
doors that pop open in a wreck and A/B pillars that fold like paper in a wreck

drive it defensively: i have driven over 1M miles in these trucks, coast to coast and border to boarder a few times
mostly safe miles and one youthful transgression that i have paid for over and over again

Old 11-30-2016, 02:38 PM   #19
58CameoAZ

Fill the Cab with Bubble Wrap! Just Kidding Lol...
Be Careful and I do wish you "SAFE" Journeys in your truck!

Allen
Old 11-30-2016, 03:55 PM   #20
1project2many

Quote:
Fill the Cab with Bubble Wrap!
I love it!!
Old 11-30-2016, 08:02 PM   #21
Dave0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
Steering shaft isn't the only problem. The hood can get knocked straight back through the A pillars.
I might try and build a fix to this into my 55. Kind of like the 70s cars that have the stud that the hood slides into when shut...
Old 12-01-2016, 01:25 AM   #22
1project2many

Right. The stud, combined with a weakened "crumple zone" in front of the hinge mounting, caused the hood to buckle rather than shear the bolts. The pin was actually called an "Anti- Guillotine Pin."