The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2014, 05:02 AM   #1
jcd9730

TC Locking up in all gears

I have a BTO 200r4, and the TC is wired according to their diagrams they send with the wiring kit. It works fine, just a little too well. It will lockup in all gears, 1st-4th which makes the truck run like crap, and is probably terrible for the converter.

I know I could just put a switch inline, and have total control, but I would rather have it work correctly. Any ideas?

72 C10, 350/2004r, Porter Steel Pacs, and 40+ years of leftovers from strange POs...
jcd9730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:08 PM   #2
oldchevynut

Re: TC Locking up in all gears

Call BTO. Thier customer service is very good.
oldchevynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:52 PM   #3
Bpokey

Re: TC Locking up in all gears

There is a pressure switch on the valve body that will only let the converter lock up in 4th gear. There were 2 different switches if I remember correctly, one that is normally open until pressure closes it in 4th gear and the other is normally closed until pressure opens it in 4th gear. Sounds like your switch is the opposite of how the diagram shows how the wiring should be and it is locking the converter in all gears but 4th. I think you have a switch that is closed until 4th. I had the same issue with my 2004r and ended up wiring it with a relay that would close when it was ungrounded from the switch in the valve body and complete the circuit to the converter. Hope this helps.
Bpokey is offline   Reply With Quote