The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #1151
GEARBOXGARAGE

Re: Make it handle

I've been following this thread for a while and have looked over the posts several times, but I haven't seen much of an answer to a topic that was covered around pages 8, 9, and 10. The topic was about anti-squat and that brought up the theory of swapping or changing the trailing arm mounts to reposition them higher at the crossmember. One member asked what a recommended pinion angle should be, but I seem to have lost the exact location of that post. Robnolimit, you comment that getting the right pinion anlge is free horsepower. Do you have a recommended pinion angle and could you give a little insight on if/how pinion anlge affects handling or perfomrnace?
GEARBOXGARAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #1152
wickid demon

I have a question, how do you calculate your roll center and the best ways to lower it. I know you can lower your motor and gat as much weight down low but can you lower it with A-arm geometry?

My Wickid 54 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=518657
wickid demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #1153
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickid demon View Post
I have a question, how do you calculate your roll center and the best ways to lower it. I know you can lower your motor and gat as much weight down low but can you lower it with A-arm geometry?
The roll center is a product of the suspension geometry.... so any changes to it are done my modifying the suspension design.

Lowering the motor will lower your center of gravity.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #1154
wickid demon

Brain fart I ment center of gravity. I knew the roll center would be effected. Let me try again center of gravity?
Posted via Mobile Device

My Wickid 54 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=518657
wickid demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #1155
jimmydean

Nate, how about the cantilever setup? What are some of the advantages I will get with that? Will keeping it a longbed hinder the performance? I was considering a mid sized bed, I would rather not go full short since everyone runs short.

I ask here since others might benefit as well from your insight.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #1156
robnolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEARBOXGARAGE View Post
I've been following this thread for a while and have looked over the posts several times, but I haven't seen much of an answer to a topic that was covered around pages 8, 9, and 10. The topic was about anti-squat and that brought up the theory of swapping or changing the trailing arm mounts to reposition them higher at the crossmember. One member asked what a recommended pinion angle should be, but I seem to have lost the exact location of that post. Robnolimit, you comment that getting the right pinion anlge is free horsepower. Do you have a recommended pinion angle and could you give a little insight on if/how pinion anlge affects handling or perfomrnace?
Pinion angle is mostly related to the engine/trans. How the pinion angle moves, as the suspension moves, is related to the suspension geometry. Ideally, the Pinion angle should be parallel to the crank angle when the truck is at ride hieght at 60 mph. (it takes some suspension load to run a constant 60) So, if the eng/trans is set in place at 3* up in front, then the pinion should be 3* up in front. Now here's the catch, under load, the axle/suspension will rotate upwards. Trailing arms will go up 1/2 degree, 4-bars = 1 deg, leafs will go 1* to 1 1/2*. So depending on the suspension type, you need to set the pinion slightly lower so that it will rise up under load.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #1157
robnolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickid demon View Post
Brain fart I ment center of gravity. I knew the roll center would be effected. Let me try again center of gravity?
Posted via Mobile Device
CG is tough to calculate 100%, but you can get pretty close. You need to weigh the truck, and get the front/rear balance. Once you have that, you can get a close estimate. Lets say the truck has 57% front weight, then the front-to-rear balance point is 57% of the wheelbase. The wheelbase is 114", so the balance point is 65" forward of the rear axle CL. (114" x .57) That gives you the front/rear line. You can do the same for side/side if you want to account for any weight offset there. For the hieght of the CG, in a car, you can use the cam centerline as an average, for a truck, it's cam centerline + 3". If you have four corner scales, there are programs, like from AutoWare, to nail it down. You weigh the truck on level ground, and then lift the scales on one side 10" and weigh it again. enter the weights, wheelbase, front and rear track width, and it will spit out the exact location.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #1158
robnolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
Nate, how about the cantilever setup? What are some of the advantages I will get with that? Will keeping it a longbed hinder the performance? I was considering a mid sized bed, I would rather not go full short since everyone runs short.

I'll let Nate run with the Canti-lever set up on this one. As for wheelbase. shorter is better. Most pure roadcoarse racers follow the rule of WB = track width x 1.5. A C-10 will have a track O.D. of around 68", so 68 x 1.5 = 102" this would be the ultimate road racer C-10, but wouldn't haul much, and lok really goofy. From there, higher speeds = longer WB, lower speeds = shorter WB. Porsche 911 - 67"TW, 104 WB.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #1159
jimmydean

Thanks for the rule of thumb, Rob. I will play more with wheel base and as the build gets closer, Nate and I will work specifics. I was going with the C4 setup to keep with the theme of the build. But the more I talk to people, the more I am learning just how well this might work out.

I am not looking to race hardcore. But I will take it out and see what it can do against my buddies at some local events when its done next year.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

Old 04-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #1160
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post

Rob... I still feel a little stange posting replies in your thread, and appreciate the fact that you have told me several time it doesn't matter... as long as it helps the cause! I just try to be as respectful as I can, and don't want to take away from all the time and energy you have spent sharing your knowledge with members of this forum.

Jimmy... there are a handful advantages to the rocker arm set-up, other than it just looking cool.... here are a couple that come to mind right off the bat.

- It can help in packaging the components when space is at a premium.

- It can allow you to change the rocker ratio and have infinite adjustment in spring rate. You can do all sorts of things by tweaking and changing the rocker arms and their geometry.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #1161
jimmydean

The rocker ratio was my first thought, and I saw a post from Josh who had it on his custom frame (pic above). I am so giddy with anticipation.

Adding the adjistability of the select ride shockwaves make for some added refinement as well. I will play with wheelbase numbers and weight tonight.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

Old 04-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #1162
robnolimit

Right you are Nate. The ratio is the big advantage. if you use a 4" stroke shockwave, and build a 1.5 ratio rocker arm, you would have 6 of travel available. Also, the 7000 series shockwave will yield appx. 350 lb/in spring rate at 75 psi. On the rocker arm with a 1.5 ratio it will net out at appx. 233 lb/in, which is right in the range you want.

Nate, one expert sharing his knowledge may be seen as opinionated. A group of experts sharing the same same knowedge will set the standards and help shape the future.

Last edited by robnolimit; 04-13-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:06 AM   #1163
GEARBOXGARAGE

I see Hotchkis now has 2" front lowering springs, but at a 1500 lb/in rate. This seems kind of high compared to what has been mentioned previously in this thread..... Any thoughts?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #1164
robnolimit

This goes right to your "set up theory", or plan. you only get to choose one, no mixing to get good results. - 1)soft spring/big bar/low RC. -or- 2) stiff spring/soft bar/high RC. Now somewhere in the middle is med spring/med bar/med RC, but lets choose option 1 or 2. O.E. C-10 geometry nets a pretty high RC, as it should, it's truck after all. So it sort of forces you over to option 2. I have to say that for me, 1500 lbs seams stiff, but, depending on the shock and swaybar, it could work. Remember, if you drive it everyday, and it's not a dedicated weekender, you need to be comfortable in it too.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #1165
GEARBOXGARAGE

Rob - Yeah, it's more of a weekender and plan on hitting the local track occasionally. I would be matching up the rest of Hotchkis front end components and a custom coilover set-up out back using QA1 shocks all around. I don't mind giving up some ride quality for added performance. I noticed you used the MOOG bick block springs and just cut a coil off. Have you been satisfied with that result?
Old 04-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #1166
robnolimit

I am really happy with them, it yields appx 1200 lb spring rate, smooth and good handling. For a dual purpose driving, adjustable shocks can be a big help.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #1167
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Rob, any info on installed dimensions on those f8000s? Can't seem to find them online...
Posted via Mobile Device
Anything on this? Looked everywhere I know to look and can't find info on these. Wondering if installed height would work in factory position on trailing arms...
Posted via Mobile Device

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #1168
71shortwide

awesome thread! Rob and nate and everyone else thank you for your i have learned alot about handling! I just cant make up my mind on my 57 truck or my 82 chevy!
71shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #1169
robnolimit

hmm, the 9000 bags are 4.5" closed, 12" oper, spec ride height at 9" - 9.5". Oops, '7000' series, (1000 to 1200 lb cap.) they are 4" closed, 13" open, and 8" to 9" RH

Old 04-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #1170
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
I am really happy with them, it yields appx 1200 lb spring rate, smooth and good handling. For a dual purpose driving, adjustable shocks can be a big help.
Do you happen to have a part # for these?
Old 04-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #1171
Matt R

Quote:
Yes, the taller ball joints will add some camber gain. Sounds like a good plan. You can drill and thread the end of the bar, but remember it's tempered. You can also cut about 1" off of the end of the bar and weld a tab up on the end. The piviting link is a good idea.
So does this apply to the stock sway bar? I guess I was under
The impression your not supposed to weld sway bars or springs.
If it is ok that would be an easy way to make a bar adjustable.
Or stiffen it up if needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #1172
GEARBOXGARAGE

Quote:
Spring rates for stock style C-10's seem high, but this is do to the A-arm ratio. Here are some stock spring rates
Moog # 6082 722 lbs/in 6 cyl, and light v-8
Moog # 6542 842 lbs/in std v-8
Moog # 6102 1015 lbs/in bigblock, longbed c.s.
Moog # 6104 1016 lbs/in 3/4 ton, sits 1/2" higher than #6102
Moog # 6454 1060 lbs/in 3/4t bbc, c.s, 1ton
So, Hotchkis' 1100lb may not be so heavy. I currently have the #6082 spring with one coil cut in the JT project, and it is too soft for me. I'm going to swap in the #6102 springs next week. Going to track test it tues. with the soft springs. All my number crunching shows me a 950 spring, but we'll see.
When it comes to frame boxing, i'm not a big fan of full chassis boxing, as it can lead to a cracked frame. Bracing key areas, and creating triangles is a better aproach, check the earlier posts.
Jonboy.......We're refering to the Moog # 6102. robnolimit posted this a ways back.....
Old 04-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #1173
robnolimit

Thanks, I was just going to post that.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:58 AM   #1174
INSIDIOUS '86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt R View Post
So does this apply to the stock sway bar? I guess I was under
The impression your not supposed to weld sway bars or springs.
If it is ok that would be an easy way to make a bar adjustable.
Or stiffen it up if needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
If one drills multiple positions for the end link on the swaybar then yes it will be adjustable.
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #1175
Matt R

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
If one drills multiple positions for the end link on the swaybar then yes it will be adjustable.
Posted via Mobile Device
My question was regarding welding tabs to the swaybar as mentioned in an earlier post.

Thanks, Matt