The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2018, 11:11 PM   #1
Mac the Yankee

Adding modern leaf springs and hangers to a TF

After pricing out replacement shackles, etc for my '56 project, I started thinking about the idea of adding/using more modern springs/hangers (it's apparently a popular modification on 60-66 trucks?).

Pull-a-Parts are full of newer pickups, and prices are VERY reasonable, ride quality would be improved, and replacement bushings are MUCH cheaper, so...

what springs would you use?

PS- did a search and couldn't find any threads, but if this has been discussed already, I'd love to find those threads!
Mac the Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:22 AM   #2
1project2many

Re: Adding modern leaf springs and hangers to a TF

What a great question. Most folks think improving the stock suspension of a TF means throwing it away. I disagree. Finding modern leaf springs to fit might be tougher though. Engineers are designing the springs wider and with fewer leaves than when the TF was new. Reducing the number of leaves reduces the number of contact points which reduces friction as the spring flexes. Ultimately this helps improve ride quality.

How much work are you going to invest in changing the springs? If you are going to stay with the original spring hangers and mounting pads / points then you will need to find narrow leaves to fit the truck. It's a coincidence that you're asking this now because I've been trying to find a good spring catalog online for about a week now. If I find a catalog I can give you applications with the same width springs but right new I have nothing to work with. But it's possible to keep the original main leaf and build a spring pack using leaves from another application. One important feature that is added to springs today is high density plastic sliders at the ends of the leaves. They reduce friction between the leaves so a bounce feels less jarring. Sliders are available online or from spring shops and most stock leaves can be modified to fit.

If you are going to change hangers and modify the mounting pads for wider springs there are a few options that may work. 1/2 ton Chevy truck rear springs from '97 or so are a common choice for projects. They tend to ride well and are easy to find. There are others as well if you decide you want to do additional work...
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:35 AM   #3
mikebte

I had planned on using the shackle and hanger kit from bell tech. With this kit I could make modern day axle and springs fit under my TF and should only run into minimal issues. Plus, the kit is a bolt on for the most part.

https://www.belltech.com/shackles_hanger_kits

Last edited by mikebte; 07-25-2018 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Edit link
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
1project2many

The original springs are 22" centerbolt to eye, both ends, with a 900# capacity front and 1150# rear. Rear springs from a 2004 - 2013 Colorado are 26" centerbolt to eye and have at least 1400# capacity. Rear springs from a 95-98 Tacoma are 22.5" front / 28.6" rear so they could be used if you wish to keep nearly the same fixed hanger mounting location.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:39 PM   #5
Mac the Yankee

Thank you for the responses and the encouragement!

Most likely, I will be using springs AND hangers from the donor truck- that will allow me to use wider/longer springs.

Also, I'll be using a 2nd Gen Camaro Z28 rear end, so hopefully no need to modify the axle pads.

Right now, I'm trying to decide between using a spare stock frame that I have, or the frame that Brad54 and I clipped a few years back... decisions, decisions!
Mac the Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote