The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #1
Missyblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Fruita, co
Posts: 124
Anyone using original rims with disk brakes?

Hey there curious if anyone has Insight into using upgraded disk brakes and original rims since they were meant for drums? Really.really want to stay with original wheels and hubcaps! All the repop wheels dont allow for mounting the original 8" hubcap that I have found. Woud a spacer help? I'm 90% sure my rotors are 9" on my new suspension but have to check. I'm trying to locate original rims and then remembered this might be an issues. I have been trolling the web but mostly finding 60's truck and everyone recommending to.buy 70's rims for disk clearance but that doesnt help me.

Thanks!
Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:08 PM   #2
mr48chev
Registered User
 
mr48chev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toppenish, WA
Posts: 11,512
Re: Anyone using original rims with disk brakes?

The standard fix in the 70's when using drum brake wheels on disk brake rigs was a wheel spacer and maybe a bit of grinding on the corners of the caliper where the wheel hit. That was standard then when a guy bought an early 70's car with disk brakes and wanted to keep his drum brake custom wheels that were on his late 60's ride.

I did that on my 48 with the Camaro subframe and 72 Monte Carlo front disks in 1981. The 14x7 Crager Mach 8 wheels I had on the front were drum brake wheels.

That still doesn't mean that your stock wheels won't clear simply because you may not have the back spacing that causes the problem and it is a try one and see how it goes thing before getting too excited about it. Then if it hits put some washers on the studs to space it out a bit and keep putting a layer on until it clears and then buy spacers that are the thickness of the stack of washers. 1/4 or 3/8 is usually enough but the less you can get by with the better.
__________________
Founding member of the too many projects, too little time and money club.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:42 PM   #3
Missyblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Fruita, co
Posts: 124
Re: Anyone using original rims with disk brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
The standard fix in the 70's when using drum brake wheels on disk brake rigs was a wheel spacer and maybe a bit of grinding on the corners of the caliper where the wheel hit. That was standard then when a guy bought an early 70's car with disk brakes and wanted to keep his drum brake custom wheels that were on his late 60's ride.

I did that on my 48 with the Camaro subframe and 72 Monte Carlo front disks in 1981. The 14x7 Crager Mach 8 wheels I had on the front were drum brake wheels.

That still doesn't mean that your stock wheels won't clear simply because you may not have the back spacing that causes the problem and it is a try one and see how it goes thing before getting too excited about it. Then if it hits put some washers on the studs to space it out a bit and keep putting a layer on until it clears and then buy spacers that are the thickness of the stack of washers. 1/4 or 3/8 is usually enough but the less you can get by with the better.
Thank you for the info. Yeah I'm just nervous to search and buy these originals and they dont work so was hoping for input so thank you.......heres a weird question so since I might need a spacer anyways that will be covered since I'm having to convert my mustang 5 lug setup to the 6 lug anyways? That would give me some clearance then right? Just have to make sure it all still tucks under the fenders though I guess
Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:19 PM   #4
mr48chev
Registered User
 
mr48chev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toppenish, WA
Posts: 11,512
Re: Anyone using original rims with disk brakes?

It may depend on what caliper the outfit selling the brake kit is using. If it is a GM metric caliper aka 78/84 Chevelle and similar the caliper is smaller than the standard GM calipers used on the older full size GM cars and pickup or the slightly smaller one that was used on Camaros and Chevelle size rigs up though 77. That may make a difference.

It still comes down to what your really want and feel you have to have on it. You will never be happy if you settle for what amounts to second best.

You might borrow or scrounge up one wheel that is correct for what you want and use it for your trial fits and then decide if you want to pursue a full set. I've got two out here that I would give you for hauling off as they are worthless to me and are just rollers because the tires hold air. Meaning I can't see paying a premium for a set of those wheels there are still enough floating around if you want 15's or even 16's.
__________________
Founding member of the too many projects, too little time and money club.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:42 AM   #5
Missyblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Fruita, co
Posts: 124
Re: Anyone using original rims with disk brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
It may depend on what caliper the outfit selling the brake kit is using. If it is a GM metric caliper aka 78/84 Chevelle and similar the caliper is smaller than the standard GM calipers used on the older full size GM cars and pickup or the slightly smaller one that was used on Camaros and Chevelle size rigs up though 77. That may make a difference.

It still comes down to what your really want and feel you have to have on it. You will never be happy if you settle for what amounts to second best.

You might borrow or scrounge up one wheel that is correct for what you want and use it for your trial fits and then decide if you want to pursue a full set. I've got two out here that I would give you for hauling off as they are worthless to me and are just rollers because the tires hold air. Meaning I can't see paying a premium for a set of those wheels there are still enough floating around if you want 15's or even 16's.

Thanks again and you are so right!! I will gladly compromise certain areas but this wheeel.and tire thing is such a part of my vision I cant haha

I have the 60's rim which is drum so can maybe test with that. Was just trying to be prepared.to put her back down on the ground once this mustang ii is finished. My rotora should be 9" and I have no clue on the calipers yet have to check it out. Thanks for the offer of your rind. Wish I was closer haha
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Missyblue; 02-15-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:12 AM   #6
mr48chev
Registered User
 
mr48chev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toppenish, WA
Posts: 11,512
Re: Anyone using original rims with disk brakes?

You would really be pushing it with 9 inch rotors, Not much stopping power even for a pinto< MII or the Bobcat Wagon I used to have.

If that is what you are actually using with stock MII calipers you don't have a wheel clearance issue just a stopping issue.
__________________
Founding member of the too many projects, too little time and money club.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:25 AM   #7
mr48chev
Registered User
 
mr48chev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toppenish, WA
Posts: 11,512
Re: Anyone using original rims with disk brakes?

The only 6 lug setup I am finding is the TCIWBK-6 https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/re...mance-products That looks like 11 inch rotors.
__________________
Founding member of the too many projects, too little time and money club.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:24 AM   #8
1project2many
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakes Region NH
Posts: 2,610
Re: Anyone using original rims with disk brakes?

I agree with Mr. 48. 9" rotors are small. Better off imo to find high quality shoes and drums.

It seems like folks won't cross the divide from US vehicle to Japanese vehicles. We often see questions about disc brake conversions or rear axle conversions where the owner wants to stay with six lug wheels. Toyota pickups share a wheel bolt pattern with our trucks. 1992-ish 4X4 spare wheels look similar to TF wheels and are 15" X 6". They do not have "nubs" for hubcaps and might fool the average truck spectator. Toyota brake rotors at about 11.4" fit inside Toyota wheels. I'd at least investigate this combination.





Original wheel:

Last edited by 1project2many; 02-16-2020 at 08:41 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:58 AM   #9
BlouDon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Centurion, Gauteng, South Africa
Posts: 101
Re: Anyone using original rims with disk brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyblue View Post
Hey there curious if anyone has Insight into using upgraded disk brakes and original rims since they were meant for drums? Really.really want to stay with original wheels and hubcaps!
I was determined to convert my '59 to discs at front and learnt from a local chap (who builds stepside bins locally) to use discs and calipers from a Toyota. Apparently they use 11" and 12" discs and his method was to use the 11" discs and calipers which then allows the original 16" wheels to be used. The original hub can be used (I'm told), after being machined 0.5mm smaller on the outer diameter and then an uncomplicated caliper bracket must be fabricated.

Since I fitted the locally produced Ford Ranger rear axle, the truck brakes so well that I have abandoned my intention to convert. The focus has now shifted to seat belts and mirrors as I have no idea what is going on around me with only one tiny round (flat) mirror on the driver side.
__________________
Best regards, Philip

Chev: '70 C10 350 V8 / 700R4 & '59 Apache
Jensen Interceptor '74: Mopar 440 / 4L60e & '73 std
Jaguar: '72 E-type Coupe V12 & '80 XJS
BlouDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:08 AM   #10
Missyblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Fruita, co
Posts: 124
Re: Anyone using original rims with disk brakes?

Thanks for the insight. So I assumed be gave me the smaller 9 in since I didnt ask but I'll measure when I get to me dad's and harass him for the 11inch if he didnt.
I'm using the coil spring version of this kit since it's made locally and seemed well made and he offered assistance.
https://www.fulltiltstreetrods.com/m...o-hub-ifs.html

I am not afraid to cross over since im installing mustang ii designed stuff. My husband said I'm building a Frankenstein haha. But the mustang ii install fits our skills better than the camaro option and so here we go. Long story as to why we are here as you all know. build creep haha my family wasnt letting me leave the driveway without power steering and disk brakes so the cost of just those the mustang ii with the better suspension just made sense I thought....anyways sidetracked sorry.

Thanks for the info on the toyota wheel I will keep that option in mind if I dont find the originals. I currently have ford ranger 5 lug rims that are similar but sadly their center is too small.

So since I will have a 5 lug front and need to run a spacer for lug change anyways possibly might solve my disk brake clearance problem I lm reading....I think....looks like a science project is in order
Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:25 PM   #11
mr48chev
Registered User
 
mr48chev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toppenish, WA
Posts: 11,512
Re: Anyone using original rims with disk brakes?

I'd be snagging one of those Toyota 4x4 wheels just to play with and see if the cap will mate up better than on later model wheels. They should pretty easy to find in Colorado and dirt cheap.
__________________
Founding member of the too many projects, too little time and money club.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:06 AM   #12
Missyblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Fruita, co
Posts: 124
Re: Anyone using original rims with disk brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I'd be snagging one of those Toyota 4x4 wheels just to play with and see if the cap will mate up better than on later model wheels. They should pretty easy to find in Colorado and dirt cheap.
Yes I will have to go look for one. Need to buy the caps 1st. Wo der how long they will give me for a return policy while i explore ideas haha 😆

And my rotors are 11inches so good to go!
Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com