The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2020, 02:05 PM   #1
richie1953

Cab Height from Frame to Floor Pan

I am rebuilding a 1953 Chevy 3100 an have found conflicting masurements for the height from frame to floor pan.
Factory Assembly Manual 1947-1954 Truck list the following: Section 1 sheet 3.09 shows the front mount measurement as 1.83+.06 -.00 from top of frame to bottom of floor pan.
Section 1 sheet 3.12shows the back measurement as .76+.06 -.0 from top of frame to bottom of floor pan. I can't get this number as the back of the body would hit the frame.
In the 1953 book from GM Heritage Center on page 127 it has a measure from top of frame to top of floor pan as 1 7/8.
Very Confusing. What are the real numbers???
richie1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:24 AM   #2
nvrdone

Re: Cab Height from Frame to Floor Pan

ok, since my '49 is up in the air, I thought I'd take a look. My front mounts are 2" from end of the "outrigger" to the floor. The rear are 1.75" from frame rail to floor. These are fairly new mounts from Vintage Auto Parts. Hope that helps.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:41 PM   #3
mr48chev

Richie your measurements are what I have. I've not seen any other measurements for a stock frame. I've got them here. https://s173.photobucket.com/user/mr...?sort=2&page=1

You can't measure off the ends of the outriggers as the frames are prone to twist if you remove the crossmember under the bellhousing and the floor will sag until it rests on the frame rails. That is why when you walk though a car show and see a number of AD trucks you will see some that appear to be bent at the cowl and hood/fenders as the crossmember has been removed for a trans swap and over the years the weigh of the cab will twist the outriggers until the cab is bottomed out on the frame. It also causes the park brake rod to bind up between the frame and the cab floor.

I should say that I had that happen to my truck after I removed the crossmember to put in a Turbo 400 behind the 350 that was in it then.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #4
nvrdone

I guess im lucky. I re checked the measurements and frame to cab floor is right at 2" and at the "outrigger" its also 2". but I still have the crossmember at the bell housing. as we all know, real measurements don't all ways match the factory specs because of production differences.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:20 PM   #5
mr48chev

Well after a morning cup of fresh ground beans turned into coffee I read the original post word for word and figured out that the "top of the" floor measurement while relevant if you had the cab floor sitting on the frame with the back panel missing when you were replacing the back panel it is one of those near impossible to measure otherwise measurements and that is the confusion. Without drilling a hole in the floor to stick a wire though to hit the frame, marking the wire and then measuring it you are unable to get that measurement with just a ruler or tape measure.

Just thinking about it I can't even use that measurement when I stretch my cab and use the front half of the blue cab and back half of the orange cab due to where I am cutting the floors. It's pretty well a useless measurement unless you have the cab floor sitting on the frame with no back panel. We will see when I cut the back off what's left of the blue cab to use the cowl an floor. Not to change the subject but didn't you need a back panel Nvrdone? This one is solid outside of cab corners and has one ding up by the belt line. It is cut though the rear window as my bud cut the roof off before he gave me the leftovers. Price is the same as I got it for.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:29 PM   #6
nvrdone

mr 49 - nope, my cab is an original CA truck with no rusted out corners, floor etc. the only rusted out part is the left front corner at the floor where the fender mounts. that will be fixed some day.