The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2016, 05:48 PM   #26
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Thumbs up Re: Bent hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM Rods View Post
We make a hood strut kit for the 81 & up style trucks although the OP was asking about the 73-80 style which is completely different.
Ok good to know are they for glass or steel hood's?

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:13 PM   #27
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Re: Bent hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Range View Post
On the Harwood Site they recommend a #210 spring for the Harwood brand hood. Summit sells the 210 spring for 40-ish bucks.

I read a thread somewhere else were a member recommended a prop rod with low tension springs. Apparently with any kind of breeze the hood would come down and swat you if the spring would hold it up at all. Never done it so I can't confirm the validity of that statement. I'm guessing somebody will have to be a 40 dollar guinea pig for an accurate answer.
DUDE!! Those are the one's i'm talkin' about. Those are the older style spring. I don't know if they would be strong enough to keep a steel hood up but it's worth a try.

Here's the style spring used in the newer gen hinges from '81-87. There is also a weaker tension style available in the type as well for glass hood's. But they didn't make them when I bought my Harwood.
Name:  '87 stepper hood hinge.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  5.6 KB

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:52 PM   #28
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM Rods View Post
We make a hood strut kit for the 81 & up style trucks although the OP was asking about the 73-80 style which is completely different.
Well I guess it is time for a 73-80 Wam Rods!?! I will buy it if you make it.
RodsGreen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #29
UKNOWME

I think most everyone would buy it! The 81-87 trucks didn't have hood issues.
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:06 PM   #30
Willowrun

You can fix your hood without screwing up paint. I've done a few by myself but an extra set of hands helps.
- take off hood
- take of hinges and lube and work free so they don't give resistance. Reinstall.
- get two pieces of 1" x 1/8" x 6" steel flat stock
- you want to bridge the gap on the under side of the hood on each side in the crush zone where the bend happens.
- weld both pieces in place on one end of the gap only with the other end going across crush zone and not welded.
- place hood on stable saw horses right side up with one saw horse under front edge and one under back edge.
- using a straight edge on top of hood (outside upper edges of hood...be careful of paint) have helper bend hood back to flat, almost past flat, and then you tack free ends of your flat stock to hold it in place.
- reinstall hook and check fit. It good, weld as much as you feel it should be welded to stay put.
- the area you are welding has an air gap between it and top of hood (fresh paint). Work around areas to be welded to avoid too much heat.
- drive carefully so you don't get decapitated.

The hood on this Jimmy had a bow worse than yours and I did the above to it.
Attached Images

Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:00 AM   #31
WAM Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 STEPPER View Post
Ok good to know are they for glass or steel hood's?
Steel hoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodsGreen10 View Post
Well I guess it is time for a 73-80 Wam Rods!?! I will buy it if you make it.
We would like to offer these kits in the future.
I do believe we have secured a R&D vehicle to design a 73-80 kit in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKNOWME View Post
I think most everyone would buy it! The 81-87 trucks didn't have hood issues.
Our kits were originally designed for a clean good look and to work for slammed trucks that had to eliminate or fabricate front inner fenders or run sloshtubz.

We have had some interest expressed in the 73-80 style for the reasons above as well as the hood bending issue.

When we do release a 73-80 kit we will let you guys know.

More info here

Last edited by WAM Rods; 05-25-2016 at 08:05 AM.
WAM Rods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:47 PM   #32
Firebirdjones

What about the paint on the bottom of the hood.....and the unsightly piece of steel welded there??
I guess if it's a clapped out beater truck then fine, in which case I wouldn't worry about the bowed hood anyway.
After they bow like that, they make a nice awning over your garage door entrance
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:54 PM   #33
wilkin250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
What about the paint on the bottom of the hood.....and the unsightly piece of steel welded there??
I guess if it's a clapped out beater truck then fine, in which case I wouldn't worry about the bowed hood anyway.
After they bow like that, they make a nice awning over your garage door entrance
I would venture a guess that there are a LOT of trucks out there that aren't rusted, clapped out pieces of junk, but also aren't show trucks. Somewhere in between, where you would want the outward appearance to look nice, but aren't too concerned about the appearance of areas that are normally hidden from view, like the frame, axles, and underside of the hood.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:08 PM   #34
Firebirdjones

While I see that as possible, it would depend on the person. Being in the restoration business I still don't condone those type of repairs. After a very spendy paint job blowing these things all apart, at that point I don't think any customer I've had would go along with a repair like that.

It could work in a pinch, but from my experience, you never really get all the bow out of one, You'll see it regardless, especially after a razor straight paint job, and since Chris has just painted this truck, I can't imagine why he would want to cut corners like that considering these hoods are dirt cheap to buy anyway.

Shucks my 79 is unrestored, a nice example and well kept with original paint, but not a show truck by any means, it's used and has chips and scratches after 37 years. Never a hood problem with this one but if it ever did I still wouldn't repair it with welded metal underneath, show truck or not. But that's just me.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:21 PM   #35
Firebirdjones

Chris,
Unfortunately your hood is already painted. While you may try to straighten it back out, it will likely never be perfectly straight again without body work repairs involved. That is what I was eluding to in my first post. They never really go back exactly where they were.

As that hood bent, generally the metal slightly stretched in that area. When you straighten it out the metal won't magically shrink and a wrinkle or wave may result. While possibly not that noticeable on a faded worn out hood, you'll see it on that fresh shiny paint job, and you'll definitely find it as soon as you start blocking the hood. It's going to require filler and more block sanding and a reshoot to make it right. This is why I don't recommend trying to straighten it unless you know going in that more extensive repairs with a reshoot may be involved. After all that work painting the truck I wouldn't think you'd want to live with a wrinkled hood. It'll drive you nuts staring at it every time you get in the driver seat
Old 05-25-2016, 07:12 PM   #36
Tom
driving is in my blood

It takes ALOT of force to put a hood threw the cab in a crash. I don't worry about it and welded steel plates where the bend zone is.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:31 PM   #37
chrismoore701

Well I think the plan is to wait until winter. Try to straighten it. The back up plan is that I have another hood behind the garage that is fracked at the crumple zone. as you can see from this truck I have learned how to do body work. I will clean that crack and weld it back. And make it look razor straight. The. What I don't want to do is spend all that money on more paint. I have two little boys and I want to watch them grow up. So not taking any chances on the brace method. Thanks for all the advice. Wish me luck.
2018 Chevy Silverado, 39 years apart
My build 2008-2016. http://m.imgur.com/a/bURrE
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:33 PM   #38
cadillac_al

It sounds like used hoods are gaining in value. I'll have to start stockpiling them. A lot of them went to the crushers in the last 10 years.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:11 PM   #39
Willowrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
The paint on the bottom of his hood is black. The repair can be made where only someone looking for it would notice. If the material isn't bent past it's yield it will straighten and be unnoticeable. For me if it's going to be a show truck they I'd go spend the high dollar on an NOS hood. If not, I gave an alternative to aftermarket metal that's worked for me.
Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:09 AM   #40
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

I bought an aftermarket hood a few years ago and nearly bent it with the first closing. Flat supports from I think LMC were screwed to the area in question, problem solved temporarily. I later found a pair of NOS hinges new in the package, problem solved for my lifetime. I have an NOS hood in the box in my garage that no one seemed interested in for 300 bucks so I'm keeping it for use at another time. I wasn't willing to ship the hood so I'm sure that's part of the reason I still have it.

As far as using the braces and risking life........I could also get T-Boned and end up with a hood in the cab.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'30 Model A Pickup, suicide front end, 350, 350, traditional style hot rod.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:51 AM   #41
LBJ

Just remove the hinge springs and use a broom stick to hold the hood up. Works well. Let's face it, how much of the time is your hood up, anyway? Keep the stick behind the seat or in the bed. I am on my 3rd and last hood now. Those springs ruined the first two. Simple fix and costs nothing. My 2 cents.
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:57 PM   #42
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
Just remove the hinge springs and use a broom stick to hold the hood up. Works well. Let's face it, how much of the time is your hood up, anyway? Keep the stick behind the seat or in the bed. I am on my 3rd and last hood now. Those springs ruined the first two. Simple fix and costs nothing. My 2 cents.
Or keep em lubed and don't look ghetto. Less time lubing them then pulling the old springs off. And my hoods up alot. 38yr old truck and all.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:39 AM   #43
Justins76
OutOfMyMind & I'llNeverKnowWhy

Someone posted this awhile back. 4:10 shows slow mo of the hood buckle during a front end crash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpvCDDtHnKc
1992 Pontiac Firebird T-Top 5.0L TBI 700R4
My cardomain page

I don't like to save, it's more fun to spend!!
Justins76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:00 AM   #44
cadillac_al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Or keep em lubed and don't look ghetto. Less time lubing them then pulling the old springs off. And my hoods up alot. 38yr old truck and all.
Just about every 80's Camaro I see has a stick in the back seat. I can see it with those cheesy hood and hatch struts but Chevy trucks have real hinges with real springs so no need to go ghetto. I still have a hard time believing this is a common problem since I have been driving these things for 40 years without a hood problem. Apparently those hinges can get pretty stiff if they are never ever lubed. If it won't close with one hand then the hinges need some oil. Just say NO to bent hoods.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #45
Front Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoore701 View Post
Well I think the plan is to wait until winter. Try to straighten it. The back up plan is that I have another hood behind the garage that is fracked at the crumple zone.
Chris I've heard of guys using either 2x4 wood or 1/4" steel sections, sandwiching each edge of the hood between the 2 pieces and using 3 big C-clamps per side (2 on each end and 1 in the middle). Tighten the end clamps first and then slowly tighten the middle clamp at the bend - squeezing the bow out.

You might try that method on the spare hood behind your garage and see if you can get some decent results. If it works then try it on the painted hood with a protective layer between the paint and material.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #46
chrismoore701

I will try that soon. But I heard you really need to bend it past straight and it will straighten out tha way. Will see what happens. As mentioned key thing is to keep the hinges oiled. Problem is. It is too late for that. For now I can close the hood with one finger
Old 06-01-2016, 08:19 PM   #47
Front Range

Cool. I'd be interested in hearing how it turns out for you.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:57 PM   #48
UKNOWME

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoore701 View Post
I will try that soon. But I heard you really need to bend it past straight and it will straighten out tha way. Will see what happens. As mentioned key thing is to keep the hinges oiled. Problem is. It is too late for that. For now I can close the hood with one finger
So whatever happened?
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:19 PM   #49
chrismoore701

Been a long time. Sorry missed the post. It worked pretty good. Not perfect. But considering i just finished painting the truck i did not like any other choices. Pretty happy with it
Old 02-17-2018, 03:19 PM   #50
chrismoore701

I will see if i can find some before and after pics