The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
bobs86silv

How bad will I regret using a FREE Original Torker??

Finishing getting everything together for my 350. I would like to run a Performer RPM airgap, as it seems to do well in all the dyno runs.. However, I was given an original torker manifold. Not the torker 2 but an old tried and true torker. I cannot find much about it out, so I dont know what to think. I know it is a low rise single plane, and will definately be more at home in the upper RPM range, which wont be best, but Im sure it will still be better than my high mileage 305... Does anyone have much experience with the original torker? I sure would rather pass on spending the $250 or so, and I can bolt a quadrajet on without and adapters...

Thanks all

Robert
Old 08-25-2007, 05:47 PM   #2
stepside454

Re: How bad will I regret using a FREE Original Torker??

Bob, it really depends on the rest of your engine & how you plan to use it. The name it was given,...Torker , is a bit misleading, it does make more torque...but @ much higher RPMS. for a single plane intake , it has a rather small plenum & runners, so it does have a little better low speed velocity than some single plane intakes, however, if you plan on using a q-jet, it doesnt give a very good signal for a vacum or air valve secondary carb like a Q-jet.
it wouldnt be my choice, you could try it. If your staying within 5000-5500 RPMs, a stock or Performer intake is a better application, or a Weiand Action+.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

On a 305 I think you'd hurt performance.
As for the air gap, I know dyno numbers don't lie... however, they sure bend the truth. They don't do much at all in an enclosed engine compartment, spend 100 bucks on a performer, and save the rest of the money.
Get the torquer all cleaned up and put it on e-bay... 100% profit, and it'll probably go to some hard core rat rodder who'll pay 150 for it.
EDIT
Must be the dislexia kickin in... I coulda SWORE he said it was a 305
I still say go that route if it's a stock engine... maybe a performer RPM, but the air gap is one step away from a gimick IMO.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 08-25-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
stepside454

good suggestion...sell it to a rat rod guy. buy an intake more suitable for your application.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
Pyrotechnic

The Edelbrock Performer 2101 is the best for a Q-Jet since it has the spreadbore and the pad + exhaust crossover for the choke stovepot. Great when paired with their performer cam. Will also work with Edelbrock or Holley style carbs too.

The RPM Air Gap will not have provisions for a divorced choke Q-Jet. It's meant for more heavily modified motors that flow more air yet still need good torque
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #6
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
On a 305 I think you'd hurt performance.
As for the air gap, I know dyno numbers don't lie... however, they sure bend the truth. They don't do much at all in an enclosed engine compartment, spend 100 bucks on a performer, and save the rest of the money.
Get the torquer all cleaned up and put it on e-bay... 100% profit, and it'll probably go to some hard core rat rodder who'll pay 150 for it.
EDIT
Must be the dislexia kickin in... I coulda SWORE he said it was a 305
I still say go that route if it's a stock engine... maybe a performer RPM, but the air gap is one step away from a gimick IMO.

I was planning on using a performer air gap on my 383, they aren’t any good? I planning on using a newer style Q-Jet with elec. choke.
Thanks,
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:35 PM   #7
Pyrotechnic

The Air Gaps are good, but they are just more suited for a modified motor rather than a stock one with bolt ons. You will need an adapter to run a Q-Jet since it is not a spread bore intake.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:33 PM   #8
stepside454

dont forget...theres a performer RPM... and a performer RPM Air-gap. both suited for the same application 1500-6500 RPMs in both cases. The Air-gap design helps keep some of the heat off the plenum
Old 08-25-2007, 11:56 PM   #9
blacktruck
Super Trucker

the original torquer is a better flowing intake than the torquer 2. in the first design the carb is kinda twisted sideways. people said it didn't look right so they changed it to suit the people, and effected the way it flows a little. if it's free.. check for things like cracks, bolts that broke off in holes. i've seen a water neck bolt shear off inside the hole. i've seen carb stud bosses crack and the threads rip out. if you are indeed running a stock 305.. don't waste your time installing any single plane intake manifold.. *like everybody else stated before* if it were a really big cammed or turbo'ed 305.. i'd say go for it. most stock small blocks just simply don't have the static compression ratio to make power at the rpm's that single plane is designed to make power at. good luck with your decision.
blacktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:49 AM   #10
bobs86silv

Thanks for all the replies. The intake would be going on my new 350 I am putting together. It is 9.65-1 compression. My cam has 226@.050 and my dynamic comprssion ratio should be arond 8.6-1 or so. I am figuring I am gonna have close to 175 Lbs. cranking compression. My heads have 180cc intake runners, with 2.02/1.60 valves. I plan on putting my redline at about 6500 RPM, but i doubt I will shift that high. It is fully balanced with 6in rods and a eagle steel crank, with a fresh line bore.... Zero deck, so .039 quench. My weak points are 1 and 1/2 inch flowtech headers and a 1406. I do have a good quadrajet I might go through, or give SMI a call.. 2200 stall and 3.73's going in real soon.. I am hoping it will be a bit sluggish off the line, so I might get some traction, but really start to pull hard around 3000 til 6000...
SO.... Maybe a torker will work for me.. At least for now... There was one stripped hole so we coiled it, and bolted it in the peterson cbn mill to correct the fit between the heads(cut .035 off each head and .024 off the deck).. I think it will work ok... Also, I had heard about the carb pad being twisted a bit.. I have seen BBC torkers like that, but this sbc one does not have that, it looks normal.. Kinda weird, it has a provision for the oil filler tube in the front(we blocked it off)

Thanks
Robert
Old 08-26-2007, 09:52 AM   #11
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
The Air Gaps are good, but they are just more suited for a modified motor rather than a stock one with bolt ons. You will need an adapter to run a Q-Jet since it is not a spread bore intake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
dont forget...theres a performer RPM... and a performer RPM Air-gap. both suited for the same application 1500-6500 RPMs in both cases. The Air-gap design helps keep some of the heat off the plenum
It will accept both carbs,
Its not an RPM just a performer & its going on a new 383. I looking for torque mainly not allot of RPM. I'm also am wanting to eliminate the heat.....we have plenty here.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 10-04-2007 at 08:12 PM.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:14 PM   #12
Pyrotechnic

Didn't even know they made that one. The one I got is the RPM Air Gap and it's square bore only.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:56 PM   #13
77 350 Shorty Wide

The original Torker was my very first performance manifold and I really loved it. I had it on a 63 Impala 327 with 650 Holley DP back in the 70's. It ran great.
You're right the original Torker BBC had the twist, NOT the small block.
I'm a bit jealous that you got one, especially for FREE. I'm one who thinks you'll like it.
Currently on my 350 I'm running an Edelbrock Air Gap with 750 Demon vacuum secondaries, 202 aluminum heads, 1&3/4 tuned Hooker Super Comp and a mild cam.

Have fun & God Bless, Terry
77 350 Shorty Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:41 PM   #14
Dick Dale
Excelsior, You Fathead.

If you want sluggish off the line and power in the 3000-6000 range, I say go for it.
Dick Dale is offline   Reply With Quote