The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
raveer2000

Header fitment

Ok so I built a nasty little small block and have run into a little dilemma. Specs are 383 full roller and the heads are Victor Jr's with angle plug heads and the exhaust ports raised .100. This is where I am running into problems. The headers we ordered for the 1979 C10 on the driver side, second plug (the #3 plug second on drivers side) hits right at the header tube. I have heated and dimpled it and it goes in now but the clearance for the plug wire is very close. Anyone have any ideas. Any other types of headers fit these trucks. Any info would be appreciated.

1980 K10
raveer2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Header fitment

What brand and part number of headers do you have?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Sounds to me like your going to need a large tube header anyways. (something i bet is not a 'off the shelf' choice for your chassis). Depending on how 'nasty' the motor is,, a 1-3/4" ,,,, 1-7/8" or even 2" stepped to 2-1/8" primaries might not be out of line.

I'm sure part of your issue is the Vic Jr heads are angle plug and the headers ordered for your chassis are intended for stock, straight plug heads????

I'm up against the same wall right now. I was running 1-5/8" Hooker Supercomps for a Nova with aftermarket angle plug heads on my last motor in the truck. Had to notch the frame to get them to clear. But they cleared the plugs.

I'm in the process of stepping things up and needed a much larger primary. Only ONE way I know of to do that.........

You order one of these. Then with your chop saw, a TIG, grinder, lots of gnashing of teeth, cussing, grinding, ordering some extra (replacement) 1-7/8" tube to fix the screw-up's,, you have a custom set of headers that FITS both the chassis AND the heads, and the copious amounts of exhaust flow a high HP high RPM small block makes

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
raveer2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Sounds to me like your going to need a large tube header anyways. (something i bet is not a 'off the shelf' choice for your chassis). Depending on how 'nasty' the motor is,, a 1-3/4" ,,,, 1-7/8" or even 2" stepped to 2-1/8" primaries might not be out of line.

I'm sure part of your issue is the Vic Jr heads are angle plug and the headers ordered for your chassis are intended for stock, straight plug heads????

I'm up against the same wall right now. I was running 1-5/8" Hooker Supercomps for a Nova with aftermarket angle plug heads on my last motor in the truck. Had to notch the frame to get them to clear. But they cleared the plugs.

I'm in the process of stepping things up and needed a much larger primary. Only ONE way I know of to do that.........

You order one of these. Then with your chop saw, a TIG, grinder, lots of gnashing of teeth, cussing, grinding, ordering some extra (replacement) 1-7/8" tube to fix the screw-up's,, you have a custom set of headers that FITS both the chassis AND the heads, and the copious amounts of exhaust flow a high HP high RPM small block makes

Well you are exactly right, but I dimpled the one header pipe and have just enough clearance for the wire. But if he ever has to remove his spark plug it will entail loosening the headers to get the plug out. I told him it was either this or he gets a custom set of headers. So we will see how it goes.

1980 K10
Old 03-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
Rodms

your right marv most angle plug heads and headers are staggerd and most are 2' or so.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
Jim_PA

Put a set of spark plug boot protector socks on. You shouldn't have any problems then.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
raveer2000

Well it made it worse having the raised exhaust ports. But I got it figured out. Thanks for the help

1980 K10
Old 09-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
gmhardwick66

headman headers makes these #69080. they are for the trucks we both have and are made for angled plug heads. I am not sure about the raised exhaust though. I am searching for a set as well. I am using procomp angled plug heads. these headman headers advertise they fit aluminum angled plug heads but chevy heads only. I am trying to find out if they will work for my application before I order. they are 1 3/4" primary. hopes this helps.
gmhardwick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
sxtrail2

check out Sandersons.. some of the best headers iv had..
sxtrail2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
gmhardwick66

I seen a 1972 the other day that the owner claims the headers he had on truck were actually 1981 Camaro headers and they look pretty good. they were midlenght headers so the collector did not drop under frame rail. he told me that 1981 Camaro angled plug headers would work for my problem. but I am to scared to buy them on a hunch because I already have one set of headers that don't properly fit...don't need another set. has anyone heard of Camaro headers fitting in our year c10 trucks?
this is what I have now and I wont drive the truck till I get it right. these are headman headers but not for angled plug heads. I think I am going to go ahead and order the big tube headman 60980 for angled plug heads and hope for the best. worst case ...I will have maybe one tube to have to be moved by a local muffler shop.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
gmhardwick66

I put these headers on motor and ran it long enough to break in cam only. I know that I have closed this tube off to much to use. just wish I could find a set that would work without breaking the bank. I am not really feeling the Sanderson block huggers. I would prefer a long tube header if I can make them work.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
gmhardwick66

I just checked out some Sanderson headers that I never seen before and really like them but will they fit a 1968 c10 with sbc? they are Sanderson C33AP Small Block Chevy Header Set, Angle Plug
if anyone has tried with success please let me know.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #13
sxtrail2

My sandersons are not huggers or full length there in between..dont exactly know part number..ill look and see if theres a number on them and if there is ill let u know..id just call them...
Posted via Mobile Device
sxtrail2 is offline   Reply With Quote