The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2016, 01:20 PM   #26
68blackbird

Re: Roof replacement?

Rail repair. Recycled part of the old roof panel to repair rail. Just a little more TLC on it and think its GTG..
Attached Images

68blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #27
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Looks good, That edge is always a PIA. It seems so much thinner than the other metal around it
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #28
68blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
Looks good, That edge is always a PIA. It seems so much thinner than the other metal around it
It helped a little that the piece I used was a corner , so it already had a little bend in it. Yep, to be honest, I thought it was going to be too thin to weld, just cranked it down, went slow. Came out better than I expected. Decided not to tweak it anymore, learned my lesson, you get to cute you end up burning thru stuff. Think I'll glass the little bit that's left, thx.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:04 AM   #29
68blackbird

Another question - when new roof panel arrives, I know the preferred method is to spot weld on. Would it be that big of deal to just punch holes(plug weld) in the new panel then weld to cab rail. I don't have access to spot welder, not sure if I will ever need one again, not that sure I want to buy one for this project. Then again, I guess it would be helpful for other things than just car projects, Kel
Old 12-19-2016, 01:08 AM   #30
Erics51chevy

I always plug weld and never see myself in the future buying a spot welder. But thats just me.
Erics51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #31
Team24

Kel, I a sorry for using the wrong term, I guess the right term for my welding the roof on is plug welding. With using the weld bond or panel bond its a bit messy and you need to be in a well ventilated area as it produce a lot of fumes. I still used a respiratory when I plug welded it every 8 inches or so. I let the panel bond cure and then I drilled the holes for the plug welds. I to thought about conventional spot welding and went and purchased a 240 volt spot welder from Harbor Freight but decided not to use it as the shape of the cab under the drip rail prevents you from getting a good contact with lower spot welding tip. Plus the spot welder tips would have to ground a smaller diameter to fit in the drip rail so the only place I could have used it would have been across the front of the cab at the windshield lip. Took the spot welder back without using it and as pointed out from another post plug welded it and ground off excess smooth before I used the panel bond in the drip rail as seam sealer. Sorry for the confusion of terms
Team24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:59 AM   #32
MARTINSR

Your roof work is looking awesome!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:35 AM   #33
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

As long as you clamp on each side of the weld you should have no problems. If your not bonding it weld every 2-3 inches. Every 8" is the recommend distance for weld bonding
Old 01-10-2017, 08:53 PM   #34
68blackbird

Well, Dynacorn panel finally came today. I went back and read info y'all suggested, seems like most info as I read it, was pertaining to the dip rail area. I have most the old removed, but the front lip I am puzzled a bit? Can't believe how many spot welds there are and some are so close to edge, spot weld bit doesn't seem to be the way to go. Am I missing something here? Don't want to take air chisel to it in fear of forking up the remaining lip? Tips? Kel
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #35
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

You need to make sure you don't chop up the inner. They did seem to have a spot weld contest on yours , I don't recall seeing that many on the ones I've done. Take your time and drill/grind them all flush. It makes going back together much easier and cleaner looking
Old 01-10-2017, 09:30 PM   #36
68blackbird

Quote:
You need to make sure you don't chop up the inner. They did seem to have a spot weld contest on yours , I don't recall seeing that many on the ones I've done. Take your time and drill/grind them all flush. It makes going back together much easier and cleaner looking

Yes sir, think I have a bead on it. Took grinder with flapper disc, slowly grind the outter lip the gently flat chisel down the line, as you said, take time not to take any inner metal away...thanks!
Old 01-10-2017, 10:37 PM   #37
68blackbird

Well good news is, that lip removal was way eaiser than expected...bad news I have this mess left....think someone told me to be ready for that. Sure could help with direction now... Kel
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2017, 10:44 PM   #38
68blackbird

sorry for crappy phone pics...
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2017, 10:58 PM   #39
dsraven

I had to replace that section of the inner on my 57 because a mouse took up residence long time ago and the nest was made from seat stuffing, which attracted moisture and rusted the area through. all looked good until I touched it. maybe ask around if anybody can donate that piece. mine is gone, sorry.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:36 PM   #40
68blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
I had to replace that section of the inner on my 57 because a mouse took up residence long time ago and the nest was made from seat stuffing, which attracted moisture and rusted the area through. all looked good until I touched it. maybe ask around if anybody can donate that piece. mine is gone, sorry.

Thanks....looks like repos of every part of the roof are available except that piece, unless you go for whole panel. They do make that patch panel for other years...
Old 01-11-2017, 11:13 PM   #41
68blackbird

Here goes one effort to see if anyone has a source for this piece, other than buying whole inner panel I know its a long shot... I guess it could be fabricated if that is only option...seems daunting...Kel
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #42
hogfarm

I looked all over for the front eye brow piece also,I just need the front part but had to buy the entire inter roof
hogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #43
68blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfarm View Post
I looked all over for the front eye brow piece also,I just need the front part but had to buy the entire inter roof

Looks like that is what we may end doing...
Old 01-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #44
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfarm View Post
The underside of the eyebrow is available. That inner panel lip can be made fairly easily
Old 01-13-2017, 05:27 PM   #45
68blackbird

Quote:
The underside of the eyebrow is available. That inner panel lip can be made fairly easily
I was thinking of using the underside of the new outer panel as a template?

Quote:
The underside of the eyebrow is available
Can you please show me what you mean here? Kel

Last edited by 68blackbird; 01-13-2017 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Another ?
Old 01-13-2017, 10:23 PM   #46
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68blackbird View Post
I was thinking of using the underside of the new outer panel as a template?

Can you please show me what you mean here? Kel

This is that filler panel under the roof over hang (eyebrow) that forms the windshield opening.
https://www.hollisterroad.com/prodde...hp?prod=1103DJ
Old 01-13-2017, 10:35 PM   #47
68blackbird

Quote:
This is that filler panel under the roof over hang (eyebrow) that forms the windshield opening.
https://www.hollisterroad.com/prodde...hp?prod=1103DJ
Did I just have a huge duh moment? I think I am making this way harder than needed. Is the piece in this pic actually part of the outer panel, if so, there is not much to repair...am I missing something? The only place the outer and inner are welded is along the flat area where the window seal goes?
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2017, 10:38 PM   #48
68blackbird

Or is the piece you just sent the piece in the pic...
Old 01-13-2017, 11:33 PM   #49
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Yes the picture you show with that lip bent forward is part of the roof panel. Knock off the spot welds and clean it up

The roof panel comes down to the windshield opening and meets the inner panel. you spot the inner panel to the roof panel edge

Or I should say the inner and outer form the upper windshield opening
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2017, 11:54 PM   #50
dsraven

that piece with the yellow box around it belongs to the old roof panel. if you check the new roof panel i think it comes with that part. the other part of the roof 9the big top part) is spot welded, originally, to that filler piece and then the filler piece is spot welded to the inner panel, then the window rubber covers the spot welds, correct?
the roof panel comes with the "eyebrow" attached I believe.so the large part of the roof panel returns towards the windshield, and there is a filler piece that goes from there to the inner panel and is spot welded at the windshield rubber raised edge. that part in the pic is actually a piece of the filler panel. the new roof panel comes with the filler panel and you just have to weld, or whatever your plan is,the roof to the inner roof panels.
check "kabwe aka bam's build" post #4. there is a pic there that shows a new roof panel with the filler part in view.
if you check the attached pic you will see the piece that I am talking about between the plug welds at the return edge of the roof and the windshield rubber seating lip. I was lucky enough to have a spare part kicking around to replace the rusty spot. I replaced the inner and outer panel up to the return edge
Attached Images

dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote