The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2019, 07:13 AM   #1
69chevej
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Brooks ky
Posts: 8
67 c10 steering help

I have a 67 with stock control arms, cpp drop spindles and 86 chevy steering gear box. My question is what needs to be done to make all of the 86 steering components work, like inner and outer tie rods and center shaft. any help would be appreciated thanks
69chevej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:11 AM   #2
SCOTI
Registered User
 
SCOTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DALLAS,TX
Posts: 18,121
Re: 67 c10 steering help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevej View Post
I have a 67 with stock control arms, cpp drop spindles and 86 chevy steering gear box. My question is what needs to be done to make all of the 86 steering components work, like inner and outer tie rods and center shaft. any help would be appreciated thanks
You need to know what year range the CPP spindles were spec'd for.

If they were spec'd for 71-87, you just need to use 71-87 disc brake steering linkage parts. If they were spec'd for pre-71, you need tie rod adapters to make things work.
__________________
67SWB-B.B.RetroRod
64SWB-Recycle
89CCDually-Driver/Tow Truck
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides

Building a small, high rpm engine
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol....
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:20 AM   #3
69chevej
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Brooks ky
Posts: 8
Re: 67 c10 steering help

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
You need to know what year range the CPP spindles were spec'd for.

If they were spec'd for 71-87, you just need to use 71-87 disc brake steering linkage parts. If they were spec'd for pre-71, you need tie rod adapters to make things work.
The spindles were for 67 and I did use new 67 ball joints. Spindle adapters? Ive never seen those I will look it up. Is the hole bigger or smaller?
69chevej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:08 PM   #4
SCOTI
Registered User
 
SCOTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DALLAS,TX
Posts: 18,121
Re: 67 c10 steering help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevej View Post
The spindles were for 67 and I did use new 67 ball joints. Spindle adapters? Ive never seen those I will look it up. Is the hole bigger or smaller?
If the BJ's are the OE 67 size, you'll prob need to research (ask CPP) what outer tie-rods are required.

Not spindle adapters; tie rod adapters. An adapter sleeve simply allows different thread size inner/outer tie-rods to work together. It was common to use the later disc brake outer tie rods that utilize larger thread diameter vs the earlier drum brake (smaller thread) tie-rods. You can't just switch to disc brake inners & outers because the earlier drum brake truck drag-link has to fit the inners (the smaller diameter inners).

Here's the info you should review. For the record, this in the FAQ section of the forum: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444815
__________________
67SWB-B.B.RetroRod
64SWB-Recycle
89CCDually-Driver/Tow Truck
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides

Building a small, high rpm engine
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol....
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
69chevej
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Brooks ky
Posts: 8
Re: 67 c10 steering help

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
If the BJ's are the OE 67 size, you'll prob need to research (ask CPP) what outer tie-rods are required.

Not spindle adapters; tie rod adapters. An adapter sleeve simply allows different thread size inner/outer tie-rods to work together. It was common to use the later disc brake outer tie rods that utilize larger thread diameter vs the earlier drum brake (smaller thread) tie-rods. You can't just switch to disc brake inners & outers because the earlier drum brake truck drag-link has to fit the inners (the smaller diameter inners).

Here's the info you should review. For the record, this in the FAQ section of the forum: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444815
Cpp said to use 67 tie rods, my drop spindles use everthing stock exept for 73-87 brake components.the issue is that im using a 86 power steering gearbox and was planning on using the 73-87 center link that came on it, the other issue is I dont have the stock center link anymore but I guess I could find one if its easier to just use it. I see the adjusting sleeves that cpp sells were you flip a outer to the inner and vice versa, whats you opinion since it sounds like youve been here before? thanks
69chevej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:24 PM   #6
SCOTI
Registered User
 
SCOTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DALLAS,TX
Posts: 18,121
Re: 67 c10 steering help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevej View Post
Cpp said to use 67 tie rods, my drop spindles use everthing stock exept for 73-87 brake components.the issue is that im using a 86 power steering gearbox and was planning on using the 73-87 center link that came on it, the other issue is I dont have the stock center link anymore but I guess I could find one if its easier to just use it. I see the adjusting sleeves that cpp sells were you flip a outer to the inner and vice versa, whats you opinion since it sounds like youve been here before? thanks
The tie-rod adapters are easier in your situation since your aftermarket spindles are spec'd for the 67 outers. The 86 steering box, 73-87 center link & inner TRE's should be fine w/the adapters & 67 outer TRE's.

My first go @ this was back around 1988 on my 68. I swapped in Western Chassis drop spindles for a 73-87. I used 71/72 outers with 67/68 inners & the 67/68 drag link (and original manual steering box).
__________________
67SWB-B.B.RetroRod
64SWB-Recycle
89CCDually-Driver/Tow Truck
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides

Building a small, high rpm engine
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol....
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:17 PM   #7
69chevej
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Brooks ky
Posts: 8
Re: 67 c10 steering help

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
The tie-rod adapters are easier in your situation since your aftermarket spindles are spec'd for the 67 outers. The 86 steering box, 73-87 center link & inner TRE's should be fine w/the adapters & 67 outer TRE's.

My first go @ this was back around 1988 on my 68. I swapped in Western Chassis drop spindles for a 73-87. I used 71/72 outers with 67/68 inners & the 67/68 drag link (and original manual steering box).
I purchased the cpp sleeves, 67 inners for the outers and 86 outers for the inners, had to do this to get around the left hand right hand thread issue. All looks like it will work but the 86 outers that are now the inners go too far in the hole like there too small of diameter. It looks like a few washers under the nut will fix it but I don't know about using the washers? This is getting frustrating
69chevej is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com