The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
63frankintruck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Keller, tx
Posts: 426
Powersteering box rag joint issues

Hey guys, I have a 63 c10 that Iíve converted to power steering and the power steering gearbox is stamped 7802644L. I ordered a rag joint for what I thought would be a 72 Monte Carlo thinking these are all the same gearboxes but the rag joint that came in doesnít fit the splines on the gearbox. Can anyone tell me what type rag joint or what number rag joint I need? Thanks for your help in advance!
63frankintruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:19 AM   #2
The Rocknrod
MCPO USN Ret.
 
The Rocknrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: China Spring, TX
Posts: 4,002
Re: Powersteering box rag joint issues

You will have to count the splines on the shaft of the gear box.
Attached Images
 
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:33 PM   #3
63frankintruck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Keller, tx
Posts: 426
Re: Powersteering box rag joint issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
You will have to count the splines on the shaft of the gear box.
it looks like mine is .720 diameter and 30 spline? (I had a hard time counting the spines but I think it's 30)
If this is correct, what rag joint should I order?
Attached Images
   
63frankintruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #4
The Rocknrod
MCPO USN Ret.
 
The Rocknrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: China Spring, TX
Posts: 4,002
Re: Powersteering box rag joint issues

Slow down - Now what is the size of the steering rod that the rag joint attaches to?
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:03 PM   #5
63frankintruck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Keller, tx
Posts: 426
Re: Powersteering box rag joint issues

the rod that comes from the column?
I used a 72 monte carlo steering column (the shaft on that is about 3/4
63frankintruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:58 PM   #6
The Rocknrod
MCPO USN Ret.
 
The Rocknrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: China Spring, TX
Posts: 4,002
Re: Powersteering box rag joint issues

Is it a Double D shaft? Splined?
Where I'm going with this is once you "know" what each side is you can look here and buy what you need - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...joint&_sacat=0
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
63frankintruck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Keller, tx
Posts: 426
Re: Powersteering box rag joint issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Is it a Double D shaft? Splined?
double d
small part that bolts to the rag joint is 3/4 and that telescopes into the outer sleeve of double d that leads to the firewall (that part is 1.0)
63frankintruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:04 PM   #8
The Rocknrod
MCPO USN Ret.
 
The Rocknrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: China Spring, TX
Posts: 4,002
Re: Powersteering box rag joint issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63frankintruck View Post
double d
small part that telescopes into the part that bolts to the rag joint is 3/4 and the outer sleeve of double d is 1.0
3/4" 30 spline X 3/4" DD Rag Joint:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4NEW-3-4-DD...wAAOSwAF5UZQoW
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:59 AM   #9
63frankintruck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Keller, tx
Posts: 426
Re: Powersteering box rag joint issues

Thanks! I have other issues that cause the rag joint to tear. Not sure what I’d going on. I installed a disk front end conversion kit from POW That uses original drag link. The tie rods in passenger side seem to be too long( wheel is turned somewhat while drivers side is straight and passenger side tie rods are adjusted to shortest length)
Anyway what started this whole thing was I was moving my truck without any engine or transmission in stalled and when I turn the wheel a couple times the rag joint just failed. It was a rebuilt rag joint. I’m not exactly sure what’s going on

Last edited by 63frankintruck; 09-04-2019 at 07:51 AM.
63frankintruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:49 PM   #10
SCOTI
Registered User
 
SCOTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DALLAS,TX
Posts: 18,131
Re: Powersteering box rag joint issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63frankintruck View Post
Thanks! I have other issues that cause the rag joint to tear. Not sure what I’d going on. I installed a disk front end conversion kit from POW That uses original drag link. The tie rods in passenger side seem to be too long( wheel is turned somewhat while drivers side is straight and passenger side tie rods are adjusted to shortest length)
Anyway what started this whole thing was I was moving my truck without any engine or transmission in stalled and when I turn the wheel a couple times the rag joint just failed. It was a rebuilt rag joint. I’m not exactly sure what’s going on
Is it possible the reinforcement clip for the rag-joint disc/material was not installed correctly or if the disc/material was soaked w/power steering fluid? Both can have a negative impact.

I had a rag-joint (HELP/Dorman part) that failed in a similar fashion (turning wheel while vehicle was not running). It had less than 7k miles on it.
I swapped to a Jeep Cherokee XJ shaft to eliminate a future failure: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=505196
__________________
67SWB-B.B.RetroRod
64SWB-Recycle
89CCDually-Driver/Tow Truck
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides

Building a small, high rpm engine
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol....
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:56 PM   #11
63frankintruck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Keller, tx
Posts: 426
Re: Powersteering box rag joint issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Is it possible the reinforcement clip for the rag-joint disc/material was not installed correctly or if the disc/material was soaked w/power steering fluid? Both can have a negative impact.

I had a rag-joint (HELP/Dorman part) that failed in a similar fashion (turning wheel while vehicle was not running). It had less than 7k miles on it.
I swapped to a Jeep Cherokee XJ shaft to eliminate a future failure: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=505196
yes, I did not have a reinforcement clip on the original rag joint ( I thought that was just to make ground contact with the horn)
Still curious as to the POL steering linkage. It seems that the tie rod ends were too long for the passenger side.
63frankintruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:15 PM   #12
SCOTI
Registered User
 
SCOTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DALLAS,TX
Posts: 18,131
Re: Powersteering box rag joint issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63frankintruck View Post
yes, I did not have a reinforcement clip on the original rag joint ( I thought that was just to make ground contact with the horn)
Still curious as to the POL steering linkage. It seems that the tie rod ends were too long for the passenger side.
Tie rods should both be the same length; just a L & R.
__________________
67SWB-B.B.RetroRod
64SWB-Recycle
89CCDually-Driver/Tow Truck
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides

Building a small, high rpm engine
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol....
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:22 PM   #13
63frankintruck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Keller, tx
Posts: 426
Re: Powersteering box rag joint issues

Thanks guys for the help. I have a new set of tie rod ends coming for the passenger side and new rag joint, so we will see what happpens
63frankintruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com